Thread: Do you like or dislike the Champions league format?

Jets Insider VIP

Do you like or dislike the Champions league format?

I'm not a big fan of it for many reasons:

- It's sole purpose is money
    - Adds more games to a season for players that are already in overdrive
    - It's growth has been to the detriment of the other European Cups. The Uefa Cup is now equivalent to Pop Warner football. Before the Champions League, the Eufa Cup was always exciting because you had basically the top 5 teams from every championship. Now, teams don't care. It's the Champions League or nothing.
    - I don't like the group stages. Yes, there are more games, but nothing beats direct elimination matches with home/away games.

You guys?
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 12-01-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'm not a big fan it for many reasons:

- It's growth has been to the detriment of the other European Cups. The Uefa Cup is now equivalent to Pop Warner football. Before the Champions League, the Eufa Cup was always exciting because you had basically the top 5 teams from every championship. Now, teams don't care. It's the Champions League or nothing.
    - I don't like the group stages. Yes, there are more games, but nothing beats direct elimination matches with home/away games.

You guys?
    Have to admit I hanker for the old days of the 3 cup competitions....the European Cup, the Uefa Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Like you say, its the Champions League or bust these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Have to admit I hanker for the old days of the 3 cup competitions....the European Cup, the Uefa Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Like you say, its the Champions League or bust these days.
    Exactly.
    Teams that finish 3rd in the group stage of the CL we say "Damn, we're downgraded to the UEFA Cup...". Then they'll put all their energy to their national championship to try to get back into the CL the following year. If they win the UEFA Cup, it's bonus.

I agree. With the home and way knockout format, every match was important, and besides, it gave the minnows a chance to play the big teams. These days, they end up knocking each other out before losing to a team that only finished 3rd in their league.

Veteran
    Back in 1993 there were only 8 teams in 2 groups, if you got out of the group you were in the semi final, but that year we (Galatasaray) knocked out ManU in the preliminaries and all of a sudden there are a ****load of groups with the 3. of some country and fourth of another country playing in the semis of the "Champions League" Or worse two finalists from the same country Real and Valencia in 2000.

I hate it. It doesn't allow for any surprises, and as you've mentioned because of the money the other cups have become inconsequental at best.

It was better with the 3 cups all with their own distinct character..

ECC was only for the champions

The Uefa was again like a consllation prize but with all the 2. and 3 placed teams that narrowly missed out on their domestic championships it was great.

And the cup winners was where the real minnows got to have their 15 minutes of fame, there were teams from the second divison even playing in it and it was the biggest thing that ever happened to them.

I'm fan of a team which has benefited immensely from the champions leage and it's revenue but still I would love to have the previous cups back

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Back in 1993 there were only 8 teams in 2 groups, if you got out of the group you were in the semi final, but that year we (Galatasaray) knocked out ManU in the preliminaries and all of a sudden there are a ****load of groups with the 3. of some country and fourth of another country playing in the semis of the "Champions League" Or worse two finalists from the same country Real and Valencia in 2000.

I hate it. It doesn't allow for any surprises, and as you've mentioned because of the money the other cups have become inconsequental at best.

It was better with the 3 cups all with their own distinct character..

ECC was only for the champions

The Uefa was again like a consllation prize but with all the 2. and 3 placed teams that narrowly missed out on their domestic championships it was great.

And the cup winners was where the real minnows got to have their 15 minutes of fame, there were teams from the second divison even playing in it and it was the biggest thing that ever happened to them.

I'm fan of a team which has benefited immensely from the champions leage and it's revenue but still I would love to have the previous cups back
    Amen.

I actually prefered the UEFA Cup to the old ECC. Sometimes underdog teams could duke it out with powerhouses who'd finished 2nd or 3rd the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'm not a big fan of it for many reasons:

You guys?
    i AGREE WITH YOU 100% especiall when you say that the uefa cup don't count for sh1t. plus because of that format you got rid of the third cup that in italy was called "coppa delle coppe".