Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murtha admits defeat on the surge.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Murtha admits defeat on the surge.....

[QUOTE][B]Murtha's comments on 'surge' are a problem for House Democrats[/B]

Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), one of the leading anti-war voices in the House Democratic Caucus, is back from a trip to Iraq and he now says the "surge is working." This could be a huge problem for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other Democratic leaders, who are blocking approval of the full $200 billion being sought by President Bush for combat operations in Iraq in 2008.

Murtha's latest comments are also a stark reversal from what he said earlier in the year. The Pennsylvania Democrat, who chairs the powerful Defense Subcommittee on the House Appropriations Committee, has previously stated that the surge "is not working" and the United States faced a military disaster in Iraq.

Murtha told CNN on July 12, following a Bush speech, that the president's views on the success of surge in Iraq were "delusional."

"Well it's delusional to say the least," Murtha told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "As I said earlier, and you heard me say it, it's a failed policy wrapped in illusion. Nothing's gotten better. Incidents have increased. We have had more Americans killed in the last four months than any other period during the war."

Murtha added: "I don't acknowledge there has been any progress made. Maybe in Baghdad. But it just breaks out someplace else. We called for extra troops two years ago. We put money in for 30,000 troops. They haven't even been able to raise the 30,000 troops they have. So they have to break all their guidelines. But there's no progress being made."

Back on June 3, during an appearance on ABC's "This Week," Murtha bashed the White House for "making excuses" on Iraq.

"They [the White House] keep saying the news media is being negative," Murtha said. "They keep making excuses for the lack of progress. I've been hearing this month after month and I'm absolutely convinced right now the surge isn't working and I'm convinced that if they don't pay attention to what I'm saying and a lot of other members of Congress are saying they're going to have a disaster on their hands because the American public want the troops out of Iraq."

More Murtha comments from the same interview: "I'm absolutely convinced the first step to stability in Iraq is redeployment and what they're saying, when you look at the figure, the figures that you and I see, the figures that we use all the time, oil production below pre-war level, electricity below pre-war level, a couple of hours of electricity in Baghdad some days and 60 percent unemployment some parts of Iraq. I mean, there's no way you're going to have success."

And here's Murtha from an interview on CBS' "Face the Nation" on April 29: "The progress that they talk about is not there. Any of the economic things that I've seen doesn't show any progress. We've had 330 people killed since the surge began. More people killed in the last four months that were killed at any other time during the war. Fifty-three percent increase in American deaths. And this White House keeps saying we're making progress."

Murtha even yelled at a reporter during a recent press conference, telling the reporter that the news coming out of the Pentagon regarding Iraq is not believable.

"They don't need to do the things you're missing the point because the Pentagon says it, you believe it?," Murtha yelled. "You believe what the Pentagon says? Huh? With all the things that they have told us, you believe what I mean, go back and look 'mission accomplished,' Al Qaeda connection, weapons of mass destruction, on and on and on, and you believe the Pentagon?"

To be fair, Murtha has pointed out that there has been a lack of poltical progress within Iraq to bring about permanent reconciliation between competing Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish factions, despite the decreased violence within the country following Bush's decision to send 30,000 additional U.S. troops to Iraq. Even vocal war supporters like Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), who is just back from a trip from Iraq himself, has complained about that situation as well, and Graham warned this week that unless there is tangible political progress within Iraq within the next two months, the United States may be forced to withdraw its support for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

But Pelosi, who is scheduled to speak to a Democratic National Committee event in Virginia on Friday, will surely face tough questions from reporters regarding Murtha's statement on the surge.

"This could be a real headache for us," said one top House Democratic aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Pelosi is going to be furious."
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1107/Murthas_comments_on_surge_may_be_a_big_problem_for_House_Democrats.html[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting for his appology to the marines.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jamesangleton;2237489]Still waiting for his appology to the marines.[/QUOTE]

the Jets have a better chance of being .500 this year....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is/was very little doubt that the surge would work. The issue is that the surge alone is not the answer to stability in Iraq. Where is the politcal process?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so Murtha has no credibility when he says something you don't agree with but when he says something you do agree with he's credible again.

got it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2237505]There is/was very little doubt that the surge would work. The issue is that the surge alone is not the answer to stability in Iraq. Where is the politcal process?[/QUOTE]

you are so full of sh!t....what happened to those weekly "progress" repots on the surge you posted from the BBC???

funny how they stopped after a week....

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146374[/url]

remember this line?? "the surge is working....for the undertaker and al queda"?????

as usual you've proven to be a completely out of your mind......
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 11-30-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2237522]so Murtha has no credibility when he says something you don't agree with but when he says something you do agree with he's credible again.

got it.[/QUOTE]

defeatocrat murtha is completely full of sh!t....but even lunatics will eventually come to admit defeat (except those who still contend the duke lax guys were guilty)....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2237505]There is/was very little doubt that the surge would work. The issue is that the surge alone is not the answer to stability in Iraq. Where is the politcal process?[/QUOTE]

Really?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]The people are with the democrats on this. The surge is not working. Bush better move on.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]And once again those on the 'left' were against the 'troop surge'.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Funny how the 'troop surge' proponents won't join the surge effort at the front. Gambling as long as 'other' people lose their lives and limbs. That's deplorable. Hardly noble at all. A total waste.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Drone trucks, suicide bombers, sounds like the troop surge is working

Good job GWB. More of the same....[/quote]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I also wrote to congress and said not to fund the new "troop surge" [/quote]

Now, I admit it's hard to quote you directly, as a very large portion of your posting here is the words of others (Olberman especially, but others too), but you've been pretty open that you never thought the Surge would work at all.

And despite your attempt to rewite history here, your claims regading the Surge have never centered on the Politcal Side until the Democrat Talking points headed that way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it comes.....all the I was in favor of the surge dems are coming out of the woodwork now....they go from pull the troops in one sentance to I was in favor of sending more in another...typical flip-flopping...I would expect nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2237555]Really?

Now, I admit it's hard to quote you directly, as a very large portion of your posting here is the words of others (Olberman especially, but others too), but you've been pretty open that you never thought the Surge would work at all.

And despite your attempt to rewite history here, your claims regading the Surge have never centered on the Politcal Side until the Democrat Talking points headed that way.[/QUOTE]

damn....you're better than me....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2237524]you are so full of sh!t....what happened to those weekly "progress" repots on the surge you posted from the BBC???

funny how they stopped after a week....

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146374[/url]

remember this line?? "the surge is working....for the undertaker and al queda"?????

as usual you've proven to be a completely out of your mind......[/QUOTE]

Man you are funny. Did you actually read the story?

[QUOTE]Food shortages are also a problem in some quarters - people said they had difficulty buying food in al-Fadhil this week because the neighbourhood was shut down by the national guards after fighting broke out between locals and the Mehdi army militia. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Some Iraqis are able to supplement their electricity supply with power from privately run generators, but this is expensive. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]As everyday life goes on despite the violence, Iraqi civilians have to contend with other difficulties - from long power cuts and lack of jobs to fuel queues. [/QUOTE]

The MILITARY did it's part. The surge did not work as the diplomatic effort is not there. Are going to visit Iraq soon?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who is against this WAR simply has to see what happened this week in SUDAN.

Wow! A teacher's students named a bear Mohammed and now the Muslim people are calling for her execution [url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-11-30-sudan_N.htm[/url]

What I don't understand about people saying we should just pull out is do they think they (Terrroists) will just leave us alone?

They will grow bigger, stronger until they get enough power to have Nucs and than one of the suicides will drop in on America and than we will see how fast GWB was right.

These people don't want peace, they want you to convert or die.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2237555]Really?

And despite your attempt to rewite history here, your claims regading the Surge have never centered on the Politcal Side until the Democrat Talking points headed that way.[/QUOTE]

It is a matter of your efforts to take things out of context. The military option worked. Where is the rest of the story?

The quality of life is what it is about and that is not even what is was when Saddam was alive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;2237558]Here it comes.....all the I was in favor of the surge dems are coming out of the woodwork now....they go from pull the troops in one sentance to I was in favor of sending more in another...typical flip-flopping...I would expect nothing.[/QUOTE]

There is no flip floping here. The Marines know how to fight. It is the republican strategy that is in doubt. That is the element that did not work.

The major piece that you are not bringing into play is that the war has been mismanaged and after nearly 5 years they should get something right.

Finally, where are the posts I made about the fighting?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2237588]It is a matter of your efforts to take things out of context. The military option worked. Where is the rest of the story?

The quality of life is what it is about and that is not even what is was when Saddam was alive.[/QUOTE]

We know. You were for the surge, before you were against it, before you were for it again.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2237596]We know. You were for the surge, before you were against it, before you were for it again.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was never for the surge. I am against the war in Iraq period.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2237596]We know. You were for the surge, before you were against it, before you were for it again.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

:clapper::clapper:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2237586]Man you are funny. Did you actually read the story?

The MILITARY did it's part. The surge did not work as the diplomatic effort is not there. Are going to visit Iraq soon?[/QUOTE]

sure I read it...I was waiting to read the follow up reports but as usual, rat wingers like yourself headed for cover once things didn't go your way.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Stan Blinka;2237587]
    What I don't understand about people saying we should just pull out is do they think they (Terrroists) will just leave us alone?

They will grow bigger, stronger until they get enough power to have Nucs and than one of the suicides will drop in on America and than we will see how fast GWB was right.

These people don't want peace, they want you to convert or die.[/QUOTE]

crazy stan blinka everyone - give it up for crazy stan and his fear and paranoia

come back cause the 5 oclock show is completely different than the 2 oclock show

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2237611]sure I read it...I was waiting to read the follow up reports but as usual, rat wingers like yourself headed for cover once things didn't go your way.....[/QUOTE]

The surge needs more than a single handed approach to work. When is that going to sink in to your brain?

The US Military is the best in the world. Surely we can manage a low intensity war. Like I said before, the strategy is like using only the running game in football.

As the defense tightens you get marginal gains like we have in Iraq now. Again I ask, when are you going on vacation there?