Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This country

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243526]What College did you go to??
    When I was in college , simply "regurgitating" anything landed you a solid C-[/QUOTE]
    Are you actually making the claim that no professors ever carry their biases into the classroom? You can't be serious. Wow! Simply wow! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2243553]Are you actually making the claim that no professors ever carry their biases into the classroom? You can't be serious. Wow! Simply wow! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Its human nature to carry biases in the classroom. But regurgitating the Professors words does not give you a good grade. I have disagreed with many of my professors viewpoints and expressed it in term papers but that did not prevent me from getting a good grade.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2243582]I have disagreed with many of my professors viewpoints and expressed it in term papers but that did not prevent me from getting a good grade.[/QUOTE]

Why is it when I criticise the UK Universal Healthcare System with personal accounts, it's invalid, but you base your argument here on what you did in College? How many decades ago was that by the way?:P

Well, if we're all giving THAT kind of evidence, I know quite a few kids today who were failed on papers for espousing conservative viewpoints in liberal professors classes.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2243031]No , hes blaming academia for people actually taking a step back and refelcting on how things really are, even if it means a little self criticism[/QUOTE]
    Equating the founding fathers with Hitler is not reflecting on how things really are. At best, it's being silly.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2243589][B]Why is it when I criticise the UK Universal Healthcare System with personal accounts, it's invalid, but you base your argument here on what you did in College? How many decades ago was that by the way?:P[/B]
    Well, if we're all giving THAT kind of evidence, I know quite a few kids today who were failed on papers for espousing conservative viewpoints in liberal professors classes.[/QUOTE]

Because as far as to my knowledge no one has studied the issues of grading according to how close to a professors ideology a students term paper matches. Of course there have been many studies of the quality of healthcare in the UK and other universal systems using objective reproducible measurements that simply are not in line with your personal accounts.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2243631]Because as far as to my knowledge no one has studied the issues of grading according to how close to a professors ideology a students term paper matches. Of course there have been many studies of the quality of healthcare in the UK and other universal systems using objective reproducible measurements that simply are not in line with your personal accounts.[/QUOTE]

So you assume then that I am lying to you? Or simply that the study (no biases in studies ever, right?) must be right, and my Mother must be the sole example of a failing in an amazingly good system.

And really, how would one study bias in Professors Grading. To be accurate in any form whatsoever, the Professor would have to be up front and honest to the study-takers about their baises (they wouldn't be) and the Students would have to up front about theirs (they wounldn't be).

Not every issue can really be "studied" in a way to give a remotely accurate idea of whats going on.

flushingjet
    [quote=kennyo7;2243482]And MLB Baseball players from 3rd world countries who dropped out of Junior High School are making millions....whats your point?[/quote]

i dunno, a handful of bums can also be lucky & strike it rich playing lotto
    with even less effort expended than the MLB players?

or maybe your point is that on aggregate, a few hundred athletes whose career averages around 6 years make more money in their lifetime and accomplish more for society than thousands of mbas who run major businesses that employ millions and provide vital goods and services for millions more- i get it now !

Why you gotta bring China into this?

\[QUOTE=flushingjet;2243785]i dunno, a handful of bums can also be lucky & strike it rich playing lotto
    with even less effort expended than the MLB players?

or maybe your point is that on aggregate, a few hundred athletes whose career averages around 6 years make more money in their lifetime and accomplish more for society than thousands of mbas who run major [B]businesses that employ millions and provide vital goods and services for millions more- i get it now [/B]![/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2243638]So you assume then that I am lying to you? Or simply that the study (no biases in studies ever, right?) must be right, and my Mother must be the sole example of a failing in an amazingly good system.

And really, how would one study bias in Professors Grading. To be accurate in any form whatsoever, the Professor would have to be up front and honest to the study-takers about their baises (they wouldn't be) and the Students would have to up front about theirs (they wounldn't be).

Not every issue can really be "studied" in a way to give a remotely accurate idea of whats going on.[/QUOTE]

Based on personal experience (oh, the minefield that is laid by throwing out anecdotes), most of my professors would probably vote liberal.

The thing is, most of my professors really don't talk about politics. They talk instead about whatever they're teaching. Without being snarky, I know that sounds like a revolutionary concept. Most people find a way to drag politics into their everyday lives - they're addicted to discussing it. But a lot of my professors would rather talk about what they've been studying since the beginning of time rather than anything like that.

Example:

My "History of the Suburbs" class essentially blames most housing related inequality in the United States on white exceptionalism. That's a liberal idea, right? But at the same time he destroys the conventional image of racism, giving us quite a few examples as to how it's not racism but rather but rather the fear of race-based privilege that creates most of these inequalities. That sounds like a pretty conservative one.

So is this professor a liberal or a conservative? What's up, here? I don't profess to know or care. I'm not really a big fan of the class but that doesn't get in the way of my scholarship, nor should it.

"The Liberal Paradise of Academia" is a mythical place. I don't disagree that my school is filled with kids who aren't very bright, but if you take Juan Cole's class and you walk away more liberal strictly because of it then you weren't really ever going to form your own opinion anyway.

flushingjet
    [quote=cr726;2243798]Why you gotta bring China into this?

\[/quote]

i said [I]vital[/I], not [I]lethal[/I]

[QUOTE=Gagoots;2242629]I was saying that slaveholders founded a county based on freedom.[/QUOTE]

Correct, and this is well known. The point of your topic, however, was about how this country was founded over the corpses of dead Indians.

And by the way you missed about three paragraphs of my response and have only responded to this minuscule word bite. Are you considering what I have said or are you ignoring it because it is damaging the point you are trying to make?

Indians weren't even the first to the Americas! This thread should be dumped.!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;2243815]"The Liberal Paradise of Academia" is a mythical place. I don't disagree that my school is filled with kids who aren't very bright, but if you take Juan Cole's class and you walk away more liberal strictly because of it then you weren't really ever going to form your own opinion anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, dude. I had a college professor that performed late term abortions, burned flags and spit on soldiers right in front of the class.

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2244206]Indians weren't even the first to the Americas! This thread should be dumped.![/QUOTE]

So it was OK wiping them out I guess.
    The thread was about double standards. Genocide was an extra.

no ... it just blows your argument out of the water ... that there land was stolen ...

they (Indians) could have come to this country and wiped out the solutreans with disease or force.

But that doesn't fit your hate america template.!

[quote=Gagoots;2244364]So it was OK wiping them out I guess.
    The thread was about double standards. Genocide was an extra.[/quote]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Duuudes......Duuuhuuuuudes....free Leonard Peltier, maannnnn......down with the estaaaablishment maannn....oh, duude, duuude! -- crank up that Rage tune bro!!.....yeeahh.... Hey, anyone seen my iPhone around? Duuude?

[QUOTE=Gagoots;2239829]So 26--

I was still wondering how you felt about all the dead indians?[/QUOTE]

Beckett, Schilling, Manny and Poppy killed'em Damnit!

Really, you can blame president Jackson for the Indian delimma!

I think the reason the holocasut is remembered is because of the way it happened.

The Jews killed by Hitler had all their property seized, were systematically tortured, starved, separated from their families, then gassed, among other things. If you read the Nuremburg transcripts, I think you will better understand why the holocaust is more remembered than the plight of the Indians.

Both were atrocities and crimes against man! Also, enslaving of African Americans is another human tragedy that is equal in unmitigated cruelty and should be mentioned with the above two!

Here is a link to the Nuremburgh transcripts:

[url]http://nuremberg.law.harvard.edu/NurTranscript/TranscriptSearches/tran_searching.php[/url]

[QUOTE=Warfish;2243638]So you assume then that I am lying to you? Or simply that the study (no biases in studies ever, right?) must be right, and my Mother must be the sole example of a failing in an amazingly good system.

Not every issue can really be "studied" in a way to give a remotely accurate idea of whats going on.[/QUOTE]

Im not saying that you are lying. No system is perfect. Im just saying your mothers expeience is not the norm. Also, i dont know what your mothers experience was so it hard to expand on it.

Your wrong by the way...every issue [U]can[/U] be studied and should be studied. You cant simply say that a system is a failure because of one persons (or eve a few peoples) personal experiences.