Thread: Virginia's Webb, Back From Iraq, Calls for Increased Diplomacy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Virginia's Webb, Back From Iraq, Calls for Increased Diplomacy

[QUOTE]Virginia's Webb, Back From Iraq, Calls for Increased Diplomacy Avram Goldstein
    Sat Dec 1, 12:18 PM ET

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. is neglecting diplomatic efforts that might build on recent gains against insurgents in Iraq to help end the conflict, said Virginia Senator Jim Webb, who just returned from the region.

The Bush administration has shown little interest in non- military attempts to engage Iraq's neighbors, said Webb, a Democrat who opposed the Iraq war, in a conference call with reporters today. Instead, Bush last month announced a security agreement with the Iraqi government that may keep U.S. forces in Iraq for decades, Webb said. Congress wasn't consulted about the plan, he said.

``Wherever you send the U.S. military, they are going to do their job,'' Webb, who served as a Marine in Vietnam and later as Secretary of the Navy under Republican President Ronald Reagan, said. ``The question is the strategic umbrella under which that job is taking place.''

The public debate in the U.S. has been too narrowly focused on troop levels in Iraq and should be broadened to encompass ``a region in chaos, from Lebanon to Pakistan,'' Webb said.

``We need to get strong regional diplomatic agreement, and the U.S. is the only country that can do that,'' he said. ``This has been the missing piece all along.''

Last week's U.S.-sponsored effort in Annapolis, Maryland, to restart negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians came after years of American inaction, and diplomatic efforts involving Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Pakistan lag far behind that, Webb said.

Goals Not Met

The goals President George W. Bush cited to justify an increase in troop strength in Iraq this year haven't been met, including increased Iraqi reconstruction spending and improved provincial security enforced by Iraqi troops, Webb said. Those failures make a U.S. withdrawal harder to plan even as violence has declined in parts of Iraq, he said.

The greatest progress for U.S. forces has been in driving out insurgents, including those linked to al-Qaeda's terrorist network, from Sunni Muslim areas west of Baghdad, Webb said. In October, an estimated 45,000 Iraqis returned from Syria, where they had fled to avoid the violence, the BBC reported Nov. 21, citing the United Nations refugee agency.

To contact the reporter on this story: Avram Goldstein in Washington at [email]agoldstein1@bloomberg.net[/email] .[/QUOTE]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20071201/pl_bloomberg/ai3kq6hyrqm;_ylt=AtojVYvaW.s2Zkkl33uqUtGs0NUE[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree there should be more diplomatic initiatives. And fortunately Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte announced yesterday that the administration is backing the political reforms originally produced. The Sunni bloc in parliament also ended their boycott yesterday.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now do you really think that the rw would want us to use more than one playing card?

The military option is the only goal that has been scored with during this whole debacle called Iraq. I saw MTP yesterday and I completely agree with Jim Webb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we should send either DeanPats or Flushing as the U.S. intellectuals to Iraq.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Webb is a very bright guy and knows to take these victories with a grain of salt. He understands the complexities of Iraqi politics and thus is not jumping to any knee jerk "we are winning" conclusions.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243030]Webb is a very bright guy and knows to take these victories with a grain of salt. He understands the complexities of Iraqi politics and thus is not jumping to any knee jerk "we are winning" conclusions.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The Bush administration has shown little interest in non- military attempts to engage Iraq's neighbors, said Webb, a Democrat who opposed the Iraq war, in a conference call with reporters today. Instead, Bush last month announced a security agreement with the Iraqi government that may keep U.S. forces in Iraq for decades, Webb said. Congress wasn't consulted about the plan, he said.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing...I remember a year ago the President offering a package of incentives to iran to come to the negotiating table and the islamofacists from iran continually pushing back and not ever adhering to dates set up to come to an agreement....

then again it's just like the rats to come around with knee jerk reactions and draw new lines in the sand in their attempt to assure defeat....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-03-2007 at 12:58 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2243042]Funny thing...I remember a year ago the President offering a package of incentives to iran to come to the negotiating table and the islamofacists from iran continually pushing back and not ever adhering to dates set up to come to an agreement....

then again it's just like the rats to come around with knee jerk reactions and draw new lines sand in their attempt to assure defeat....[/QUOTE]

New lines in the sand?
    From day one the goal was the same. The creation of a western style democracy that will be allied with the USA (not Iran) in the WOT and a model nation for the rest of the ME to emulate. That was the goal set forth by the CONartists. The goal was not...to create a temporary reduction in the number of US casualties or bombings or general violence etc.. you know the new goal the CONartists have created

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You honestly think Webb is doing a knee jerk reaction right now? He actually went to Iraq and talked to the troops and wants Iraq to become a better place so troops might actually get out of there.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2243042]Funny thing...I remember a year ago the President offering a package of incentives to iran to come to the negotiating table and the islamofacists from iran continually pushing back and not ever adhering to dates set up to come to an agreement....

then again it's just like the rats to come around with knee jerk reactions and draw new lines in the sand in their attempt to assure defeat....[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243069]New lines in the sand?
    From day one the goal was the same. The creation of a western style democracy that will be allied with the USA (not Iran) in the WOT and a model nation for the rest of the ME to emulate. That was the goal set forth by the CONartists. The goal was not...to create a temporary reduction in the number of US casualties or bombings or general violence etc.. you know the new goal the CONartists have created[/QUOTE]

meanwhile the demokRATS keep changing their tune, as Webb above or as defeatocrat murtha has done...the surge has been a complete failure, the surge has partially failed.....and as the surge contiues to suceed demockRATS like yourself continue to come up with new, pathetic, excuses...

funny- I don't see you put up a defense for Webb's obvious ignorant statements....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The surge is a lot like what the Philadelphia Police Department did almost ten years ago called Operation Sunrise. They went in and took over 10 blocks and made them safe and drug free, then they left and it took time but it went back to the way it was.

The surge is a great and temporary fix, it is what you are able to do during and after that will make the biggest difference.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2243134]meanwhile the demokRATS keep changing their tune, as Webb above or as defeatocrat murtha has done...the surge has been a complete failure, the surge has partially failed.....and as the surge contiues to suceed demockRATS like yourself continue to come up with new, pathetic, excuses...

funny- I don't see you put up a defense for Webb's obvious ignorant statements....[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2243134]meanwhile the demokRATS keep changing their tune, as Webb above or as defeatocrat murtha has done...the surge has been a complete failure, the surge has partially failed.....and as the surge contiues to suceed demockRATS like yourself continue to come up with new, pathetic, excuses...

funny- I don't see you put up a defense for Webb's obvious ignorant statements....[/QUOTE]

Webb has not changed his tune at all. And nothing he has said is ignorant.

According to General Petreus, the goal of the surge is to buy time for a political resolution to be made. There has been no political resolutions made so far. Henceforth, to call the surge a "success" is premature. Yes the violence is down...and thats a good thing. But this is temporary and if they 3 sides dont make political progress during this period the surge will be a failure. The troops made the first step (and im not surprised at their success). But for the surge to be successful political progress needs to be made. I do not have the same confidence in the Iraqis as i do our troops

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243209]Webb has not changed his tune at all. And nothing he has said is ignorant.

According to General Petreus, the goal of the surge is to buy time for a political resolution to be made. There has been no political resolutions made so far. Henceforth, to call the surge a "success" is premature. Yes the violence is down...and thats a good thing. But this is temporary and if they 3 sides dont make political progress during this period the surge will be a failure. The troops made the first step (and im not surprised at their success). But for the surge to be successful political progress needs to be made. I do not have the same confidence in the Iraqis as i do our troops[/QUOTE]

A fair and accurate statement.

Without Iraqi Political Reconcilliation and some level of Unification, there cannot be long-term success in Iraq. Our Soliders have and continue to do everything they can, successfully I must add, to better the situation in Iraq.

My own view is that the U.S. Govt. must do more to push the Iraqi leadership. It's a dangerous edge we have to sit atop, with deep falls on either side, but the status quo is simply not acceptable. More must be done to remind and enfore the idea in the Iraqi leaderships minds that we are not here forver, and cannot and will not fight their war for their country indefinitely.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good thing that an Internet poster like you knows more than a former Secretary of the Navy and current US Senator just back from a visit to Iraq. I might have listened to him!

Stop singing the praises of the bloodbath, lunatic.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=beemer;2243258]It's a good thing that an Internet poster like you knows more than a former Secretary of the Navy and current US Senator just back from a visit to Iraq. I might have listened to him!

Stop singing the praises of the bloodbath, lunatic.[/QUOTE]

this versus a non-partisan, non-agenda driven, clear minded thinking moron like yourself....:rolleyes:

again- no one has refuted the lies of webb in this article....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243209]Webb has not changed his tune at all. And nothing he has said is ignorant.

According to General Petreus, the goal of the surge is to buy time for a political resolution to be made. There has been no political resolutions made so far. Henceforth, to call the surge a "success" is premature. Yes the violence is down...and thats a good thing. But this is temporary and if they 3 sides dont make political progress during this period the surge will be a failure. The troops made the first step (and im not surprised at their success). But for the surge to be successful political progress needs to be made. I do not have the same confidence in the Iraqis as i do our troops[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with you...but the fact is all we heard before the surge started a few months ago was how it was a complete faillure before it began....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2243569]I don't disagree with you...but the fact is all we heard before the surge started a few months ago was how it was a complete faillure before it began....[/QUOTE]

Because without a realistic plan for a political process (something that is entirely up to the Iraqis and not Us) the Surge is a failure. You cant have one without the other and making the peace between the 3 groups is entirely out of our hands and the leadership in Iraq has not shown a sincere wilingness to compromise

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

then again it's just like the rats to come around with knee jerk reactions and draw new lines in the sand in their attempt to assure defeat....[/QUOTE]

The packages were not nearly fair enough to Iran, so they did not come to the table.

How about mentioning that part?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2243696]The packages were not nearly fair enough to Iran, so they did not come to the table.

How about mentioning that part?[/QUOTE]

I leave it up to you and your kind to defend a terrorist nation....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2243574]Because without a realistic plan for a political process (something that is entirely up to the Iraqis and not Us) the Surge is a failure. You cant have one without the other and making the peace between the 3 groups is entirely out of our hands and the leadership in Iraq has not shown a sincere wilingness to compromise[/QUOTE]

It is the one dimensional rw approach that is the failure here. The troops have done the job once again.

Once the troops leave, without any diplomatic effort from US and Iraq the violence will return