Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most obstructionist minority in the Senate in regards to filibustering goes to:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The most obstructionist minority in the Senate in regards to filibustering goes to:

The GOP in the 110th Congress (2007-2008) with more in the first 11 months of this Congress than in the ENTIRE 24 months of the previous congress!!! And you wonder why the Democratic wing of the party can't get anything done and congress approval ratings are below that of even the Emperor's! Once the Dems pick up 4-7 seats in 08 and possibly/probably a couple more in 2010 it won't be so hard to stop filibusters and maybe they can actually get something done for a change (yeah right)

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/weekinreview/02herszenhorn.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin[/url]

So far in this first year of the 110th Congress, there have been 72 motions to stop filibusters, most on the Iraq war but also on routine issues like reauthorizing Amtrak funding. There were 68 such motions in the full two years of the previous Congress, 53 in 1987-88 and 23 in 1977-78. In 1967-68, there were 5 such votes, one of them on a plan to amend cloture itself, which failed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to assume that you are not implying that the Democrat Minority in recent previous Congresses did not threaten to do the same, on a variety of issues and nominations?

This is a game played by both sides. Primary difference being the mere threat of it seemed to make the Republicans of past Congresses shirk and hide.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2243180]I have to assume that you are not implying that the Democrat Minority in recent previous Congresses did not threaten to do the same, on a variety of issues and nominations?

This is a game played by both sides. Primary difference being the mere threat of it seemed to make the Republicans of past Congresses shirk and hide.[/QUOTE]

We're not talking about threats... we're talking about actual obstruction of legislation via filibustering from the minority "party" (read: wing)

And I agree it's played by both wings... but you are wrong, the primary difference is the GOP has done in MORE in 11 months than the Dems did in 24 months!!! :eek:

And people were freaking out that the Dems were obstructionists, meanwhile if the GOP keeps the current pace they will crush the Dems in filibusters by > 2.25 times!!!

Think the GOP is sore losers from 2006? Wait until 2008 elections then! ouch... back to back severe thumpings

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After all the harping on this board by CBTNY, DeanPatsFan, JCNFlies, etc regarding Dem filibustering of 10 judicial nominees over 6 years and "subverting the will of the people"...

no one cares what the GOP is doing, and how they are doing it? How they are "subverting the will of the people" and refuse to end the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq?

Or is it only the will of the people when it comes to radical right judges where there is no polling data (national or otherwise) which can back up the claim that it is the will of the people (ala the 70% who want the illegal invasion ended ASAP)

This place truly reaks of hypocrisy
    Last edited by King Ryan; 12-03-2007 at 03:55 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2243489]Politics truly reaks of hypocrisy[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

And frankly, I am suprised it took you this long to figure it out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2243489]This place truly reaks of hypocrisy[/QUOTE]

Politically active people in this country have a version of "my kids would never do anything like that" syndrome.

They can see the hypocrisy and outright deception of the other political party but can't for the life of them see it reflected in their own party.

That why when I vote I blindfold myself and pull random levers and don't remove my blindfold until I exit the booth. Maybe I voted for Bush twice. Maybe I voted for Kerry. Maybe I voted for both of them. Who cares? What difference does it make?

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saying there are elements of lack of perfection in one party hardly makes it equivalent to another.

Cynicism can be an excuse for inaction. And a pretty transparent one at that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2243683]Saying there are elements of lack of perfection in one party hardly makes it equivalent to another.

Cynicism can be an excuse for inaction. And a pretty transparent one at that.[/QUOTE]

Both suck, come on man.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2243489]After all the harping on this board by CBTNY, DeanPatsFan, JCNFlies, etc regarding Dem filibustering of 10 judicial nominees over 6 years and "subverting the will of the people"...

no one cares what the GOP is doing, and how they are doing it? How they are "subverting the will of the people" and refuse to end the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq?

Or is it only the will of the people when it comes to radical right judges where there is no polling data (national or otherwise) which can back up the claim that it is the will of the people (ala the 70% who want the illegal invasion ended ASAP)

This place truly reaks of hypocrisy[/QUOTE]

just as your illogic in the voting thread, your posts are hysterical....

[QUOTE]So far in this first year of the 110th Congress, there have been 72 motions to stop filibusters, most on the Iraq war but also on routine issues like reauthorizing Amtrak funding[/QUOTE]

you want to whine and compare the threat of filibusters on bills which stop the funding of troops in a war against terrorists or set a drop dead date versus not giving judicial nominees a vote????

comical.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2243202]We're not talking about threats... we're talking about actual obstruction of legislation via filibustering from the minority "party" (read: wing)

And I agree it's played by both wings... but you are wrong, the primary difference is the GOP has done in MORE in 11 months than the Dems did in 24 months!!! :eek:

And people were freaking out that the Dems were obstructionists, meanwhile if the GOP keeps the current pace they will crush the Dems in filibusters by > 2.25 times!!!

Think the GOP is sore losers from 2006? Wait until 2008 elections then! ouch... back to back severe thumpings[/QUOTE]

I think the aspect of the Dems filibusters that caused exception is that they threatened to filibuster Supreme Court nominees. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I think it had something to do with that.

Even if that was not the cause, I recall the issue was that what the Dems were threatening to filibuster was new ground and that, subsequent to that, was the possibility of the Republicans trying to rewrite Senate rules.

Odds are these recent Republican filibusters were on the typical issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2249006]I think the aspect of the Dems filibusters that caused exception is that they threatened to filibuster Supreme Court nominees. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I think it had something to do with that.

Even if that was not the cause, I recall the issue was that what the Dems were threatening to filibuster was new ground and that, subsequent to that, was the possibility of the Republicans trying to rewrite Senate rules.

[B]Odds are these recent Republican filibusters were on the typical issues.[/B]

[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]So far in this first year of the 110th Congress, there have been 72 motions to stop filibusters, most on the Iraq war but also on routine issues like reauthorizing Amtrak funding [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean the same filibuster that the GOP threaten to get rid of because they didn't like when the Dems used it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we need Congress to do something? The less the government does the better. We need a sharply divided government. When Congress starts taking laws and spending bills off the books that's when I'm for a United Government and less filibusters.

What has a United Congress done in the last 20 years that has made your life better?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When are you going to get it through your heads that THERE IS NO DIFFERANCE BETWEEN DEMOCRAT AND REPUBLICAN?

NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DEMOCRAT AND REPUBLICAN

[QUOTE=Winston]We need a sharply divided government.[/QUOTE]

What we have instead is a government that pretends to be divided to put up a front for the American people. That way the American people don't come to realize that the govt IS divided....between us and them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is a difference

the republicans are incompetant and evil

the democrats are just incompetant

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong Bit: The Democrats are just plain incompetent period! The Republicans at least have tried to get something done. The Democrats have gotten nothing done in years!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2249345]Wrong Bit: The Democrats are just plain incompetent period! The Republicans at least have tried to get something done. The Democrats have gotten nothing done in years![/QUOTE]

starting an unwinnable war isn't trying it's screwing up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2249303]there is a difference

the republicans are incompetant and evil

the democrats are just incompetant[/QUOTE]

Okay. Now take a look at the Democratic slate of candidates. Voters are being asked to choose, essentially, from personality. With the evil Republicans, voters are choosing between ideas.

This means the GOP is many, many different kinds of evil, while the Democrats are just one bland, inefficient entity.

Works for me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2249353]starting an unwinnable war isn't trying it's screwing up[/QUOTE]

We lost again?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are winning the war, if the Democrats had their way we would have lost!
    We finally have a President who has some nuts unlike clinton who likes to have his polished! Casualities are way down, the Iraqi people are starting to take control if the country. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy! Was WW11 easy, was WW1 easy?