Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huckabee: Faith, Science and The Presidency

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Huckabee: Faith, Science and The Presidency

Repub. candidate Huckabee has gone on record stating he does not believe in Evolution, and believes the literal interpritation of the Creation Story in the Bible. He has also gone back on that position, softening it, giving a more open-ended "not sure how it happened, or how long it took, but God created and guides us" type answer. As you all know (or should) Huckabee is a Baptist, and a former Preacher.

The question is this, how does this position on this issue affect you as a voter? Does his refutation of accepted science theory make you question him in any form? Does his strongly held faith make you support him more? Are you worried that if he ignores science on this issue, he'll ignore it on others? Or do you think he can and will seperate his faith from issues of governance if he won the office? What if he didn't believe in some other scientific theory, say Gravity for example (perhaps calling the reason we fall to Earth "God's Will"), or more realisticly, Climate Change.

Does this issue mean anything at all to you in the grand scheme?

Curious how others feel on this.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good question, Fish.

I'll admit I liked a lot of what I heard from Huckabee in the last debate. But the fact that he believes the Bible literally while ignoring science is a huge sticking point for me. I question the thought process (and sanity) of someone who dismisses scientific fact in favor of a myth.

I don't think I can vote for someone who denies the truth because of his religion.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there still is a first amendment in the constitution that entitles an American to freedom of speech and religion.

That said, I would like to see the politically correct list of ideas a person MUST adhere to in order to be elected President of the United States.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say, I admire him for having the balls to go on record and saying that. I don't think any other candidate would admit it, regardless of his or her own personal beliefs, for fear of political suicide. Huckabee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would pander to special interest groups, he seems like a real straight shooter, because of this.

I also don't think that this would lead towards him "ignoring science" on issues, I think he's smart enough to separate his own personal beliefs and what is best for the country.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2245819]Good question, Fish.

I'll admit I liked a lot of what I heard from Huckabee in the last debate. But the fact that he believes the Bible literally while ignoring science is a huge sticking point for me. I question the thought process (and sanity) of someone who dismisses scientific fact in favor of a myth.

I don't think I can vote for someone who denies the truth because of his religion.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Huckabee voter but,

From his perspective, He believes he is following the truth based on his faith, and he's not the only one. Millions believe as he does and are they all disqualified from the presidency?

Just check out a website like... [url]http://www.creationresearch.org/[/url]

Look at that groups board ... [url]http://www.creationresearch.org/[/url] PhD's all around!
    Last edited by Jets1958; 12-04-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could never vote for him because of it

I do question him because of it

Strongly held faith doesn't help him get my vote...

I feel his beliefs would definitely affect him and cause him to ignore other science as well and that he would definitely not seperate his beliefs from his governance

And for the record, evangelicals are very worried about climate change and are one of the few GOP groups which want to minimize our impact on the Earth's climate

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets1958;2245823]I believe there still is a first amendment in the constitution that entitles an American to freedom of speech and religion.

That said, I would like to see the politically correct list of ideas a person MUST adhere to in order to be elected President of the United States.[/QUOTE]

Very true!

So let me ask you then, what if he said he didn't belive in Equallity? What if he said his faith AND science has shown that there are very clear and obvious differences between the races, and that some ar ebetter (and worse) in some ways than others? And as such, the law should not be about equallity at all.

Still feel the same way, or no? Freedom of Speech is definitely allowed, but his use of that freedom doesn't require me to agree, or vote for him either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets1958;2245845]I'm not a Huckabee voter but,

From his perspective, He believes he is following the truth based on his faith, and he's not the only one. Millions believe as he does and are they all disqualified from the presidency?

Look at that groups board ... [url]http://www.creationresearch.org/[/url] PhD's all around![/QUOTE]

no they're not... but they should be! :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2245819]Good question, Fish.

I don't think I can vote for someone who denies the truth because of his religion.[/QUOTE]

I'm feeling sort of the same way and I think it will be a problem for him, in the long run, if he continues to do well. As of right now I don't seem to be as bothered by it as I thought I would be though. He hasn't scared me yet. Then again I'm just starting to pay attention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, his literal belief of the Bible and disbelief of the theory of evolution scare me a bit. Sourceworx nailed it when he said that you have to question the thought process of such a person.

However, if he can show that his beliefs will not interfere with his policies and job of leading the country based on the will of the people, then these ideological differences should not play a factor in my voting. Give me an energy independence plan, a tough stance on national security, and a non-hawkish foreign policy, and he can believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Huckabee a lot. I remember having countless debates in college about creation vs. evolution.

Personally, I believe in evolution, and think that the biblical stories were told (and sometimes changed) through oral tradition simply to teach people of the power of God and why God is good (etc.).

Huckabee is trying to show that his faith is more important to him as a voting point than science. I know a few people who champion the cause of creation because it shows others that they believe God is good and omnipotent (which is far more important to how they want to be seen - as the religious faithful, as "good" people). They don't even care about science, because their grasp of science (which we see as the truth, and they may also) is not as important to the image they want to portray. When *some* are asked about a fossil, or unquestionably right points of evolution, their stance is that it MAY be right, but they just don't care about how it all came about, and believing the religious story is much more important to their self image.

In other words, some don't typically argue with science, but they uphold the creation story to show that they are people of faith. Being a person of faith is soooo important to these people.

(Sort of like SOME people must defend Chad if there is incontrovertible evidence to the contrary - not because its right but its part of who they want to be seen as.)

This, at some base level, is the feeling that I got from some of the more sane creationists represented at Wesleyan. Of course, I think there are many INsane creationists that will try to make SCIENTIFIC arguments to uphold creation, and they fail miserably. Then they say that it is actually a mystery about how we all came about and how it should still be taught in science classes. These are the people I can't stand.

I tend to think Huckabee is of the first, more science tolerant group. I say tolerant tenatively because a person like this won't be caught dead believing in science, but they don't dismiss it either. An INsane creationist would dismiss scientific findings and try to use the scientific method to prove the creation story.

To me, this does not matter. I like the other things in his platform, so I'd most likely vote for him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets1958;2245845]I'm not a Huckabee voter but,

Look at that groups board ... [url]http://www.creationresearch.org/[/url] PhD's all around![/QUOTE]

He has every right to have his faith and believe as he wishes. However, would you want someone with those beliefs (which I consider insane) making vital decisions that will affect you and your family? That's why I have a hard time throwing my support behind him.

If I told you that I believed the world was flat and if you sailed too far out in the ocean you'd fall off the earth, you'd think I was nuts wouldn't you? Would it suddenly be validated if I told you that this belief is based on my religion?

It's one thing to have religious faith. It's another to deny scientific truth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2245793]
    The question is this, how does this position on this issue affect you as a voter? Does his refutation of accepted science theory make you question him in any form? [/QUOTE]

not that I was lining up to vote for him in the first place but Huckabee is still one of the "better" GOP candidates IMO

the fact he's an outright creationist makes me suspicious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2245872]To be honest, his literal belief of the Bible and disbelief of the theory of evolution scare me a bit. Sourceworx nailed it when he said that you have to question the thought process of such a person.

However, if he can show that his beliefs will not interfere with his policies and job of leading the country based on the will of the people, then these ideological differences should not play a factor in my voting. Give me an energy independence plan, a tough stance on national security, and a non-hawkish foreign policy, and he can believe in the flying spaghetti monster for all I care.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I am not going to defend the guy...I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the bible either, but the guy has the balls to state that he believes in something, and he gets roasted for it.

Yet, another politician gives the people exactly what they want to hear and the people get shafted.

People, the man believes in a 6-day creation of the earth. He states it. He is honest about it. Could it affect how he makes other decisions? Yes....
    News flash...politicians who don't believe in a 6-day creation of the earth PROBABLY hold other beliefs quite close to their hearts...and they don't admit them to the public...and they too affect the decisions they make in office.

Stick an atheist in the office, you will get drastically different results then putting a Christian. Put a black man in the office, you will get different results than say a white man. Put a poor man in the office, etc....

It does not matter WHO is elected, they will be affected in their decision making by their beliefs. Do you not think George Jr. makes decisions based on some that were made by Dad? Its human nature.

That said, if this Huckabee guy started going a tad overboard with trying to force the nation in living how he wants, then you would have a problem. But guaranteed, his decisions will be influenced by his believes....just like anyone else.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2245928]Okay, I am not going to defend the guy...I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the bible either, but the guy has the balls to state that he believes in something, and he gets roasted for it.

Yet, another politician gives the people exactly what they want to hear and the people get shafted.

People, the man believes in a 6-day creation of the earth. He states it. He is honest about it. Could it affect how he makes other decisions? Yes....
    News flash...politicians who don't believe in a 6-day creation of the earth PROBABLY hold other beliefs quite close to their hearts...and they don't admit them to the public...and they too affect the decisions they make in office.

Stick an atheist in the office, you will get drastically different results then putting a Christian. Put a black man in the office, you will get different results than say a white man. Put a poor man in the office, etc....

It does not matter WHO is elected, they will be affected in their decision making by their beliefs. Do you not think George Jr. makes decisions based on some that were made by Dad? Its human nature.

That said, if this Huckabee guy started going a tad overboard with trying to force the nation in living how he wants, then you would have a problem. But guaranteed, his decisions will be influenced by his believes....just like anyone else.[/QUOTE]

Steve, I admire his honesty in the matter. It certainly takes guts.

What bothers me is that he denies scientific fact. It has nothing to do with him being a religious man. It's that he's delusional. This isn't like the global warming debate or whether or not God exists. There's very tangible proof that we evolved from apes. Denying that is like denying that the sky is blue.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2245928]Okay, I am not going to defend the guy...I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the bible either, but the guy has the balls to state that he believes in something, and he gets roasted for it.

That said, if this Huckabee guy started going a tad overboard with trying to force the nation in living how he wants, then you would have a problem. But guaranteed, his decisions will be influenced by his believes....just like anyone else.[/QUOTE]

bing bing bing... we have a winner. Huckabee is so refreshing because he tells it like it is. He is not going to change his stance because the polls or the special interests groups tell him to. he is doing this all with 1/52 the campaign funds that Hilary has. People are questioning him on his pro immigration stance (with illegals that are here already) and his response is why should a kid be punished for the mistakes his parents made. If moral judgments guide his decsions, Id rather have that than a puppet for the special interests groups. Whether you agree with him or not, and I disagree with him on some of his spcial policies, in my opinion he is the most likeable candidate on either side.

Now that he is a viable threat, the skeletons will emerge.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mallamalla;2245949]his response is why should a kid be punished for the mistakes his parents made.[/QUOTE]

So if I stole all of your money, and gave it to my child, my child should not have to give it back when I am caught?

After all, why punish my child for the ill gotten illegal gains I aquired for them, right?

His position is assinine middle-of-the-road-amnesty tripe.:mad:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2245953]So if I stole all of your money, and gave it to my child, my child should not have to give it back when I am caught?

After all, why punish my child for the ill gotten illegal gains I aquired for them, right?

His position is assinine middle-of-the-road-amnesty tripe.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Never thought of looking at it like that, but you make a valid point, 'Fish.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My question would be how does his rejection of evolution and belief in devine intervention impact the way he tackles real issues as President. I'm not impressed by our leaders looking to devine inspiration for answers to real problems that can be solved through scientific methods.

I would prefer that all the candidates keep their personal faith to themselves but since he put it out there I look at it as a negative.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2245953]So if I stole all of your money, and gave it to my child, my child should not have to give it back when I am caught?

His position is assinine middle-of-the-road-amnesty tripe.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Who is stealing what money? I dont think your comparison makes much sense, but I agree with you on pretty much most issues that I see here so Ill leave it at that.

I dont think we should go off topic here because my point wasnt that I agreed with Huckabee. I just like the fact that he doesnt repeat what the republican base wants to hear and has his own ideas, which is refreshing in a day when strick two party politics is polarizing this country.