Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marlins trade Willis and Cabera to DET

Quote Originally Posted by NE_PATS_FAN_54 View Post
    as of right now, the red sox are the reigning world champions
    Doesn't mean they are the best team. The Cardinals were the reigning World Champions after 2006 and were clearly not anywhere close to one of the best teams. The playoffs are a crapshoot, and do not indicate if a team truly is the best.

here we go..............

well i obviously hope that you arent counting october in one of those 4 months that the yankees were the without a doubt the best team in baseball.
    No, I am not an idiot, so I am not counting 4 games to figure out how good a team is.

its pretty much the same exact team in fact for the yankees. and for the red sox as of now, of course. but you have to figure that dice-k will be drastically better now that he has a year under his belt. buchholz should emerge, lester if he stays too, beckett should match last year, schilling will continue to decline, but should be solid. wakefield should be reliable as always.
    Are you joking? This is what I have to figure? Dice-K will get drastically better, even though every Japanese pitcher that has ever come over to the States ends up getting worse. He may get better, he may stay the same, he may even get worse. Or, he may get hurt, something he didn't do last year. You'd have to be nuts to figure that he will get "drastically better." Buchholz could also struggle, and as of now, he's not even in the rotation. Lester has had a 4.7 ERA with a ton of walks in his time in the majors. Beckett should match last year? Well at least you are being fair and not saying that every pitcher should get better. But Beckett should match the best season he has ever had, by far? That's like me saying A-Rod should match his 2007 season. Beckett had a 145 ERA+ last year and has a career 116 ERA+. He is not going to match last year. Schilling is shot. Too bad Wakefield wasn't reliable last year, having back injuries. And believe me, back injuries don't just go away.

I'm not saying all my latter predictions will happen (they aren't really predictions anyways), some will, some won't. But I can guarantee that you are going to be very disappointed if you think your predictions are all going to occur.

sox are lining up to have a 6-man rotation, which should be benetial to everyone.
    for the yanks, hughes should continue to develop into a stud, pettite will probably start to decline, mussina who knows, wang should progress, kennedy should emerge. everyone says joba is gonna all of a sudden turn into a stud starter like hughes. well joba has proven absolutley nothing as a starter. yankees still would have no true #1 ace if everything remains the same. wang proved he could not shoulder the load of being an ace this past october.
    bullpen would go to the red sox . rivera is another year older, the bullpen savior is presumabley gone in joba, and after that the yanks bullpen is very questionable. farnsworth was good towards the end, but that only seemed to happen when joba came along. papelbon should keep his outstanding performance up, okajima might decline a little bit, delcarmen i think is ready to emerge, timlin should give them another decent year, and after that who knows. so rotation, i still say advantage red sox, and bullpen still advantage red sox.
    I'll believe the 6 man rotation when I see it. I doubt that is actually going to happen.
    offense would still go to the yankees but not by a wide margin. and its pretty safe to say the tigers offense has surpassed the yankees as the best in the game.

and as we have proven, pitching wins championships, and the red sox still have better pitching than the yankees, even without santana.[/QUOTE]
    I like how at least you show your bias right away. When Schilling will decline, "he'll still be solid," but where is my "still be solid" with Pettitte?

Anyways, I'm not going to agree or disagree with any of your thoughts on the Yankee staff. What I will say is that last year the Yankees had 36 games started by Kei Igawa, Tyler Clippard, Matt DeSalvo, Darrell Rasner, Sean Henn, Jeff Karstens, and Chase Wright. So, almost 1/4th of the games this season, the Yankees had to march out crap to start out the game. Unless the Yankees have a ton of injuries in the starting staff again, that won't happen again and thus, the Yankee pitching as a whole will be much better. Oh, and about Joba, he has proven a lot of things as a starter given that he was a starter all last year. Has he proven it in the majors? Well, he has never started in the majors. What he is is the best starting pitching prospect in baseball, with nasty stuff, that has shown he can get ML hitters out, and, in the minors, was throwing 97 late in games. I'll take my chances with him. And for your bullpen thoughts, we only had Joba for the last 7 weeks of the year anyways. And Okajima will decline more than a bit.

By the way, I asked you to explain why the Yanks were the 4th or 5th best team in the AL. Not why the Sox are better than the Yanks... So please do.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say that it is not close when the Yankees outscored the Tigers by 81 runs last year. Yes, they have a better offense next year than they had last year. No doubt about that. Is it 81 runs better? That's very questionable.

I'm assuming you miss-typed with the "not really close" comment because anyway you want to compute it, it will definitely be close.
    What? They had SEAN CASEY playing everyday first base. Sheff was injured. When you add Miguel Cabrera and Edgar Renteria for the Likes of Sean Casey and Brandon Inge, you're offense gets 10 times better. Cabrera is one of the top 5 hitters in the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    as of this moment....its a tossup between tigers and red sox for the best team in the league. yankees are probably 4th/maybe 5th behind indians and angels.
    That's cool, the 4th or 5th best team in a league has won more world titles than the top teams in the Wild Card Era.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    What? They had SEAN CASEY playing everyday first base. Sheff was injured. When you add Miguel Cabrera and Edgar Renteria for the Likes of Sean Casey and Brandon Inge, you're offense gets 10 times better. Cabrera is one of the top 5 hitters in the game.
    Which is what will help them become 81 runs better next year... You do realize how much that is, right? And Mags will have nowhere near the season he had last year. You said it was not close. It is extremely close now, which speaks to how much better the Tigers have got offensively.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That's cool, the 4th or 5th best team in a league has won more world titles than the top teams in the Wild Card Era.
    That's an excellent point, SMC.

In fact, in the 15 years of the Wild Card era, only once has the team with the sole best record in baseball won the World Series... the 1998 Yankees.

(Last year's Red Sox shared best record with Cleveland)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    That's an excellent point, SMC.

In fact, in the 15 years of the Wild Card era, only once has the team with the sole best record in baseball won the World Series... the 1998 Yankees.

(Last year's Red Sox shared best record with Cleveland)
    Thanks, Phoenixx.

I'm hoping for the Yankees to be the 3rd to 5th best team next year because that increases their chances at the title.

This trade didn't work out as well as DET hoped it would........

Marlins will make the playoffs before the Tigers

Willis is a disaster and Jose Reyes has a higher OPS than Cabrera

Meh... I feel so bad for Trelle. By far my favorite pitcher in baseball.. Just sucks that he can't get it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Meh... I feel so bad for Trelle. By far my favorite pitcher in baseball.. Just sucks that he can't get it all together.
    Willis has absolutely no chance to "get it together" in the American League.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Thats a pretty easy statement to make considering that he showed he couldnt get it toegether in the NL either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Thats a pretty easy statement to make considering that he showed he couldnt get it toegether in the NL either.
    ..exactly

He looks injured to boot. Extending him was bad but at least his injury gave them the chance to find out that Gallaraga can pitch at this level. Guy with no minor league pedigree to hint at Major League success who seems to have put it all together this year. Tigers should get Zumaya and Rodney back so they have a glimmer of hope but they are pretty close to being with Seattle as a dead team.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    He looks injured to boot. Extending him was bad but at least his injury gave them the chance to find out that Gallaraga can pitch at this level. Guy with no minor league pedigree to hint at Major League success who seems to have put it all together this year. Tigers should get Zumaya and Rodney back so they have a glimmer of hope but they are pretty close to being with Seattle as a dead team.
    What type of injury does he have anyways? I always thought his delivery was Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.

What type of injury does he have anyways? I always thought his delivery was Tommy John surgery waiting to happen.
    Latest one was bicep tendinitis. I think the prior one (hyperextended knee) is something more. Nice kid ,now a millionaire who just seems to have lost it completely.

DTrain is awesome, he has a blog on Yardbarker.