Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ah, the Irony....

Ah, the Irony....

Was at a bookstore today, read a few newspapers.

One had a scathing article on the return of Imus to the radio, complete with a variety of quotes lambasting him as a bigot who should never again see the light of day fo rhwat he said.

Three pages later, were reviews of a pair of recent rap album releases. Extrememly vulgar rap albums. The reviews were glowing, almost to the point of worship.

Such is the way of things today I suppose.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247019]
    Such is the way of things today I suppose.[/QUOTE]

yeah and who is making these rap albums? large multi-national corporations run by (for the overwhelming majority) old white men.

i don't see any inconsistancy.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2247510]yeah and who is making these rap albums? large multi-national corporations run by (for the overwhelming majority) old white men.

i don't see any inconsistancy.[/QUOTE]

No, I suppose [U]you[/U] wouldn't.

Lets not forget how Imus almost ruined Christmas for all the little children.

If I saw a guy dressed like Santa and he was saying ha,ha,ha, I would think either something was really funny or he has a bottle stashed under his suit.

I swear the next Santa I see that says ho,ho,ho I'm gonna to go up to him and ask him who he's calling a ho.:D

As for some rap lyrics, it kind of makes you wonder the mentality of people who enjoy it.
    It is not shocking that there is a huge double standard.

Santas warned 'ho ho ho' offensive to women
    Wed Nov 14, 11:04 PM

SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.

Sydney's Santa Clauses have instead been instructed to say "ha ha ha" instead, the Daily Telegraph reported

All Pro
    Sad state of affairs actually. Santa and Imus can't say Ho, but Snoop Dog can. Too bad Santa wasn't black, make things easier.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2247510]yeah and who is making these rap albums? large multi-national corporations run by (for the overwhelming majority) old white men.

sheeeet mothafuqa.....blame it all on da honkeys....

[IMG]http://www.86queensgate.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/capt.342702418de54f27a18d300898bd4bca.people_obama_ludacris_cx109.jpg[/IMG]

That's the lamest thing I've ever heard.

All Pro

Damn you Robbie Van Tinkle [IMG]http://www.blakeschwendiman.com/blook/vanilla_ice.jpg[/IMG]

the first post of this thread assumes that black people (rappers) are making the same insults against their own people that white people (Imus) are making - hence the "irony"

but the truth is there is alot of positive hip hop out there but it stays underground, independant small labels. the negative stuff that gets released commercially and played on radio and MTV is corporate.

at the end of the day you have Imus and you have big corporations in the same side. just cause the delivery mechanism might be black doesn't mean these rappers represent all black people.

if you took the time to listen to civil rights leaders (yeh right) you'd realize that they are against the rappers as well. It's not like they say it's ok for the rappers but not ok for Imus.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

but i guess a thread full of war supporters out for post-911 revenge wouldn't see that logic.

if you guys need to know the real deal on anything, don't hesitate, that's what I'm here for.

"Another Fine Example of Excuse Making (tm)" by Our Man Bitonti.

You're so full of **** I can smell you all the way down here.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247804]"Another Fine Example of Excuse Making (tm)" by Our Man Bitonti.

You're so full of **** I can smell you all the way down here.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

yeah talk about full of s--t...

warfish what exactly do you know about hip hop, whether it is in fact positive or negative?

[QUOTE=bitonti;2247914]yeah talk about full of s--t...

warfish what exactly do you know about hip hop, whether it is in fact positive or negative?[/QUOTE]

I know you love your Rap Mr. Vanilla Ice, but why don't YOU explain to us (since you claim to be the one in the know) about how the violent mysoginistic racist pro-crime language used in a large amount of todays popular Rap/Hip-Hop music is a positive for society. And why it is acceptable but even a hint of simular language from a white person is not.

I await your detailed and informative manifesto on the topic. To the extreme YOU rock a forum like a vandal, light up a stage and smack a ***** with a candle.....:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/e/ec/300px-Fresh_Hare.JPG[/IMG]

Life imitates art.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247959]how the violent mysoginistic racist pro-crime language used in a large amount of todays popular Rap/Hip-Hop music is a positive for society. And why it is acceptable but even a hint of simular language from a white person is not.
    [/QUOTE]

i don't think you read my posts.

i never said that was positive.

what I said was exactly the music you are talking about is in fact criticized by black civil rights leaders, the same ones who critiqued imus.

and what i also said is you are judging rap by the small subset of garbage that gets created, released and promoted by the same music corporations that gave us Britney Spears in a school girl outfit. It's not good for society, which is maybe why they like to sell it. but not all hip hop is negative. there's alot of small underground stuff that is positive but not part of the mainstream commercial machine so no one knows about it.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2247983]i don't think you read my posts.

i never said that was positive.

what I said was exactly the music you are talking about is in fact criticized by black civil rights leaders, the same ones who critiqued imus.

and what i also said is you are judging rap by the small subset of garbage that gets created, released and promoted by the same music corporations that gave us Britney Spears in a school girl outfit. It's not good for society, which is maybe why they like to sell it. but not all hip hop is negative. there's alot of small underground stuff that is positive but not part of the mainstream commercial machine so no one knows about it.[/QUOTE]

Small Underground Stuff. Enjoyed by a very very select few in the know.

Popular. Enjoyed by the Mass Market in massive numbers.

Which do YOU think is more relevant?

As for your "civil rights leaders attack rap" comments, I'll say this.....they attack it a crap load less and less angrily than they attack even the slightest implied white racism. If that.

I wonder Bit, is there any problem in modern America that ISN'T the fault of evil white corporate culture? Guess we crackers are just getting what we deserve, eh?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247992]Small Underground Stuff. Enjoyed by a very very select few in the know.

Popular. Enjoyed by the Mass Market in massive numbers.

Which do YOU think is more relevant?[/quote]

never said underground was more relevant what I did say was that hip-hop is not inherantly negative art form. You should know as a fan of music in general that it's not about what is quality it's about selling an image, and pumping the heck out of it. the people can only buy what is available to them, if wal-mart decides to stock an artist that does more for that artist's chance of success than any amount of so-called talent. and i would also say that underground hip hop does cross over more than people realize (for example philadelphia's roots crew uses real instruments, mos def and eminem were once underground unknown artists on rawkus records, obviously eminem isn't positive but he is a former underground artist who is relevant)

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247992]
    As for your "civil rights leaders attack rap" comments, I'll say this.....they attack it a crap load less and less angrily than they attack even the slightest implied white racism. If that.[/quote]

maybe because you aren't watching that closely. there's famous incidents involving non-blacks like Tipper Gore and 2LiveCrew but less famously protests can actually boost sales so the civil rights leaders aren't as vocal about it as they once were.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2247992]
    I wonder Bit, is there any problem in modern America that ISN'T the fault of evil white corporate culture? Guess we crackers are just getting what we deserve, eh?[/QUOTE]

i never said that, you are putting words in my mouth.

however we have to realize that given the choice corporations will not put the common good ahead of making money. this is not conspiracy theory. the same corporation owns the radio stations, that owns the concert venues, that own the billboards, that owns the record companies. it's like shooting fish in a barrell which is why the art is gone - there are no more stevie wonders or led zeps, just people stealing their music in samples.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

bitonti's just another oppressed black man in a honkey's body...

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2248043]bitonti's just another oppressed black man in a honkey's body...[/QUOTE]

LOL im not a honkey im a guinea get it straight please

that means im black from the waist down ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2248043]bitonti's just another oppressed black man in a honkey's body...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/84/247148702_c0c2f21f65.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://www.breakers.com/media/parrot.jpg[/IMG]

[B][SIZE="7"]CAW CAW![/SIZE][/B]