Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: The attack on Christmas

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    2,435

    The attack on Christmas

    There's a lot of debate going on about Christmas, Santa, Christmas trees etc.


    My question is this: What do any of these things have to do with Jesus or religion? Granted it all started under the guise of the birth of Jesus and what not....but since it is widely regarded that Jesus was born in April, why do people still claim otherwise?

    And what does a tree, presents and Santa Clause have to do with any of it? I would think that a successful attack on Christmas would have to do with debunking some of the "myths" associated with December 25 and not attacking symbols that have nothing to do with the origins of the holiday.

    And that leads me to....the easter bunny.....

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Montville, NJ
    Posts
    5,417
    pagans converted into Christians held onto some of their traditions, such as this one about celebrating the winter solstice and decorating conifers


    Santa Claus on the other hand came from the Netherlands I believe, and where they bastardized Saint Nicholas by calling him Sinterklaas (spelling?). Then Americans bastardized Sinterklaas by making it Santa Claus. But it truly stems from Saint Nicholas
    Last edited by King Ryan; 12-06-2007 at 03:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Great - attack a day that brings families and friends together just because members of the right happen to be religious.

    Yet it is okay to shove national gay month down our throats, etc...

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)

    dude you're probably the most pessimistic, gloom merchant on this board so it's no surprise to me whatsoever that you are a scrooge to boot.

    i agree with mallamalla....what's not to like about this holiday? when you have kids you really get to re-appreciate the fun in the holiday. just the way my kids eyes light up when he sees all the present under the tree on christmas morning makes it great.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    dude you're probably the most pessimistic, gloom merchant on this board so it's no surprise to me whatsoever that you are a scrooge to boot.

    i agree with mallamalla....what's not to like about this holiday? when you have kids you really get to re-appreciate the fun in the holiday. just the way my kids eyes light up when he sees all the present under the tree on christmas morning makes it great.
    How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

    Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

    Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.
    ummm, basically, yeah

    so you hated getting gifts when you were a kid?

    one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lawn Guyland
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday? Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.
    Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Quote Originally Posted by EtsFan View Post
    Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???

    i don't think brooklyn is a jew, he just hates anything that might actually make other people happy

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by EtsFan View Post
    Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???
    haha

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    ummm, basically, yeah

    so you hated getting gifts when you were a kid?

    one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....
    no, i didn't. but it made the holiday about gifts, when it should be about family. that's why thanksgiving >>> christmas

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)
    That depends on what your reason is for giving gifts--we taught our kids that giving gifts at Christmas was a reflection of God's great gift to us: His Son who was born of the virgin Mary and gave His life on the cross to provide salvation to all who believe and receive Him as their personal Savior.

  13. #13
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanginius View Post
    pagans converted into Christians held onto some of their traditions, such as this one about celebrating the winter solstice and decorating conifers


    Santa Claus on the other hand came from the Netherlands I believe, and where they bastardized Saint Nicholas by calling him Sinterklaas (spelling?). Then Americans bastardized Sinterklaas by making it Santa Claus. But it truly stems from Saint Nicholas
    My friend Joop from the Netherlands would tell my (then) young children aboutt "Black Pete" who would stff you in his bag and take you to the coal mines or something. Very heinous imagery for young kids if you ask me.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    ummm, basically, yeah

    so you hated getting gifts when you were a kid?

    one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....
    What does any of that have to do with Christianity?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSE View Post
    What does any of that have to do with Christianity?



    Ho, Hum.

    Damn it, (can't say that).

    I mean, ut oh.

    What's the matter? Did you get coal or something.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,923
    The Gifts symbolize the Three Wise Men you know the ones with Gold, Frankensense(sp) and Muhr(sp).

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by chicadeel View Post
    Ho, Hum.

    Damn it, (can't say that).

    I mean, ut oh.

    What's the matter? Did you get coal or something.
    did the big bad question hurt your feelings?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The Gifts symbolize the Three Wise Men you know the ones with Gold, Frankensense(sp) and Muhr(sp).
    lots of arguments out ther as to whether or not that whole manger scene was true.

    Jesus was supposedly born sometime in April and apparently not in a barn.

    So if that is the case.....what does Santa, Christmas trees and Presents have to do with Christmas?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSE View Post
    did the big bad question hurt your feelings?


    I'm still laughing!

    OH MY GOD! You DID get coal.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

    Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.
    You are a scrooge. It is what YOU make it. We happen to make it a great day in our house. My kids are 16 and 13 and still get excited about this day/season. Everything from putting up the lights to Christmas dinner. It is a special time of year. Stop all the rain on a nice day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us