Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The attack on Christmas

Banned

The attack on Christmas

There's a lot of debate going on about Christmas, Santa, Christmas trees etc.

My question is this: What do any of these things have to do with Jesus or religion? Granted it all started under the guise of the birth of Jesus and what not....but since it is widely regarded that Jesus was born in April, why do people still claim otherwise?

And what does a tree, presents and Santa Clause have to do with any of it? I would think that a successful attack on Christmas would have to do with debunking some of the "myths" associated with December 25 and not attacking symbols that have nothing to do with the origins of the holiday.

And that leads me to....the easter bunny.....

Hall Of Fame
    pagans converted into Christians held onto some of their traditions, such as this one about celebrating the winter solstice and decorating conifers

Santa Claus on the other hand came from the Netherlands I believe, and where they bastardized Saint Nicholas by calling him Sinterklaas (spelling?). Then Americans bastardized Sinterklaas by making it Santa Claus. But it truly stems from Saint Nicholas
    Last edited by King Ryan; 12-06-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Great - attack a day that brings families and friends together just because members of the right happen to be religious.

Yet it is okay to shove national gay month down our throats, etc...

I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)

[quote=BrooklynBound;2250305]I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)[/quote]

dude you're probably the most pessimistic, gloom merchant on this board so it's no surprise to me whatsoever that you are a scrooge to boot.

i agree with mallamalla....what's not to like about this holiday? when you have kids you really get to re-appreciate the fun in the holiday. just the way my kids eyes light up when he sees all the present under the tree on christmas morning makes it great.

[QUOTE=neckdemon;2250320]dude you're probably the most pessimistic, gloom merchant on this board so it's no surprise to me whatsoever that you are a scrooge to boot.

i agree with mallamalla....what's not to like about this holiday? when you have kids you really get to re-appreciate the fun in the holiday. just the way my kids eyes light up when he sees all the present under the tree on christmas morning makes it great.[/QUOTE]

How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.

[quote=BrooklynBound;2250340]How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.[/quote]

ummm, basically, yeah

so you hated getting gifts when you were a kid?

one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....

Veteran
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2250340]How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday? Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.[/QUOTE]

Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???

[quote=EtsFan;2250418]Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???[/quote]

i don't think brooklyn is a jew, he just hates anything that might actually make other people happy

[QUOTE=EtsFan;2250418]Do gifts bastardize YOUR days long holiday of Hannukah???[/QUOTE]

haha

[QUOTE=neckdemon;2250401]ummm, basically, yeah

one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....[/QUOTE]

no, i didn't. but it made the holiday about gifts, when it should be about family. that's why thanksgiving >>> christmas

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2250305]I hate PC people but let's be honest, Christmas is BS people to most people. If they eliminated the gift giving aspect, it'd be a much better holiday. (See: Thanksgiving)[/QUOTE]

That depends on what your reason is for giving gifts--we taught our kids that giving gifts at Christmas was a reflection of God's great gift to us: His Son who was born of the virgin Mary and gave His life on the cross to provide salvation to all who believe and receive Him as their personal Savior.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2249918]pagans converted into Christians held onto some of their traditions, such as this one about celebrating the winter solstice and decorating conifers

Santa Claus on the other hand came from the Netherlands I believe, and where they bastardized Saint Nicholas by calling him Sinterklaas (spelling?). Then Americans bastardized Sinterklaas by making it Santa Claus. But it truly stems from Saint Nicholas[/QUOTE]

My friend Joop from the Netherlands would tell my (then) young children aboutt "Black Pete" who would stff you in his bag and take you to the coal mines or something. Very heinous imagery for young kids if you ask me.

Banned
    [QUOTE=neckdemon;2250401]ummm, basically, yeah

one of my favorite parts of christmas is watching how happy my kid gets when he gets that toy he wanted.......giving gifts is a great part of the holiday.....[/QUOTE]

What does any of that have to do with Christianity?

[QUOTE=NYSE;2250807]What does any of that have to do with Christianity?[/QUOTE]

Ho, Hum.

Damn it, (can't say that).

I mean, ut oh.

What's the matter? Did you get coal or something.:cool:

The Gifts symbolize the Three Wise Men you know the ones with Gold, Frankensense(sp) and Muhr(sp).

Banned
    [QUOTE=chicadeel;2250819]Ho, Hum.

Damn it, (can't say that).

I mean, ut oh.

What's the matter? Did you get coal or something.:cool:[/QUOTE]

did the big bad question hurt your feelings?

Banned
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2250842]The Gifts symbolize the Three Wise Men you know the ones with Gold, Frankensense(sp) and Muhr(sp).[/QUOTE]

lots of arguments out ther as to whether or not that whole manger scene was true.

Jesus was supposedly born sometime in April and apparently not in a barn.

So if that is the case.....what does Santa, Christmas trees and Presents have to do with Christmas?

[QUOTE=NYSE;2250867]did the big bad question hurt your feelings?[/QUOTE]

I'm still laughing!

OH MY GOD! You DID get coal.:eek:

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2250340]How am I a scrooge? Because I realize that gifts bastardize what was once a great family holiday?

Thank god we have a comparison (Thanksgiving) to measure up against it.[/QUOTE]

You are a scrooge. It is what YOU make it. We happen to make it a great day in our house. My kids are 16 and 13 and still get excited about this day/season. Everything from putting up the lights to Christmas dinner. It is a special time of year. Stop all the rain on a nice day.