Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding a "billion"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Understanding a "billion"

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.
    A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans . It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division . .

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington , D.C .. HELLO!!! ... Are all your calculators broken??

Tax his land,

Tax his wage,

Tax his bed in which he lays.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirts,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his booze,

Tax his beers,

If he cries,

Tax his tears.

Tax his bills,

Tax his gas,

Tax his notes,

Tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know

That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers,

Tax him more,

Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,

'Taxes drove me to my doom!'

And when he's gone,

We won't relax,

We'll still be after the inheritance TAX!!

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL License Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),

IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),

Liquor Tax,

Luxury Tax,

Marriage License Tax,

Medicare Tax,

Property Tax,

Real Estate Tax,

Service charge taxes,

Social Security Tax,

Road Usage Tax (Truckers),

Sales Taxes,

Recreational Vehicle Tax,

School Tax,

State Income Tax,

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),

Telephone Federal Excise Tax,

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax,

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax,

Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,

Telephone State and Local Tax,

Telephone Usage Charge Tax,

Utility Tax,

Vehicle License Registration Tax,

Vehicle Sales Tax,

Watercraft Registration Tax,

Well Permit Tax,

Workers Compensation Tax.

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened? Can you spell 'politicians!'

And I still have to 'press 1' for English.

I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100 times

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2252987]...and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
    [/QUOTE]

But did she do the dishes as a women should?

Remember...some women like to work and a lot of them are better at it then men.

The tax poem was pretty good. I like that.

But does this also mean you are against sending billions of dollars to the Iraqi government?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2253446]
    But does this also mean you are against sending billions of dollars to the Iraqi government?[/QUOTE]

yeah or what do you think about the Iraq war costing a trillion total soon

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2253448]yeah or what do you think about the Iraq war costing a trillion total soon[/QUOTE]

The N.O. fiasco is a ton of money...and the way it was broken down seems absurdly high. But I would still rather waste the money on our own cities than on some Iraqi city.

A big part of me is against financing some country that is probably going to carry out terrorist attacks on my children and my children's children.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2253446]But did she do the dishes as a women should?

Remember...some women like to work and a lot of them are better at it then men.
    [/QUOTE]

Jumping to conclusions again? Women are not being criticized for working outside the home, but that most didn't have to if they didn't want to!

[QUOTE]
    But does this also mean you are against sending billions of dollars to the Iraqi government?[/QUOTE]

Better there than at NASA or NOLA!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2252987]

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans . It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division . .

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number, what does it mean?

[/QUOTE]

New Orleans is a major American city. When it thrives again, there will jobs for hundreds of thousands of citizens, which you might work into your math.

Never mind the tens of thousands of American citizens who were displaced by a natural disaster. Helping U.S. citizens isn't exactly wasting taxpayer dollars on a bridge to nowhere.

There's plenty of waste in government. Perhaps you'd make a better case by whining about something other than providing needed aid to American victims of a domestic disaster.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2255661]

There's plenty of waste in government. Perhaps you'd make a better case by whining about something other than providing needed aid to American victims of a domestic disaster.[/QUOTE]

No reason to get testy, I'm almost positive there aren't asuusa's original words.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 12-10-2007 at 12:55 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2255634]Better there than at NASA or NOLA![/QUOTE]

That's really unfortunate that you feel that way. Residents of New Orleans are, for the most part, good people. I'm sure that if your town was obliterated, they wouldn't have a problem with sending aid money to rebuild it.

Nobody in New Orleans is busy stuffing a goat carcass full of explosives to detonated when American troops walk by. But somebody in Baghdad is.

Baghdad is NEVER EVER going to be rebuilt and is NEVER EVER going to not have residents who are actively conspiring to kill Americans.

Give up on your dream of a resort Baghdad. Its never gonna happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2255893]That's really unfortunate that you feel that way. Residents of New Orleans are, for the most part, good people. I'm sure that if your town was obliterated, they wouldn't have a problem with sending aid money to rebuild it.

Nobody in New Orleans is busy stuffing a goat carcass full of explosives to detonated when American troops walk by. But somebody in Baghdad is.

Baghdad is NEVER EVER going to be rebuilt and is NEVER EVER going to not have residents who are actively conspiring to kill Americans.

Give up on your dream of a resort Baghdad. Its never gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many thought that same thing about Germany?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Germany can never be compared to Iraq. If you want to make a comparison how about Vietnam.

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2255992]I wonder how many thought that same thing about Germany?[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2255893]That's really unfortunate that you feel that way. Residents of New Orleans are, for the most part, good people. I'm sure that if your town was obliterated, they wouldn't have a problem with sending aid money to rebuild it.

Give up on your dream of a resort Baghdad. Its never gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

The residents of New Orleans are taken advantage of our help. Report after report of the abuses of the government aid.

The way to deal with the rebuilding of New Orleans is through private developers. Let them buy the land ( at a discount of course) and let them build a beautiful city.
    Last edited by Jetfan_Johnny; 12-10-2007 at 12:51 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2256370]Germany can never be compared to Iraq. If you want to make a comparison how about Vietnam.[/QUOTE]

Or Beirut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2256373]The residents of New Orleans are taken advantage of our help. Report after report of the abuses of the government aid.

The way to deal with the rebuilding of New Orleans is through private developers. Let them buy the land ( at a discount of course) and let them build a beautiful city. [/QUOTE]

The residents of Baghdad are taken advantage of our help. Report after report of the abuses of the government aid.

The way to deal with the rebuilding of Baghdad is through private Iraqi developers. Let them buy the land ( at a discount of course) and let them build another crappy city.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2255992]I wonder how many thought that same thing about Germany?[/QUOTE]

I dunno. Did we ship money on pallets to Germany only to have it disappear miracuously into thin air?

Cmon...enough with the WW2 analogies.

5.7 Billion spent on electrical infrastructure and only 6 hours of electricity a day.

We are getting ripped off.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2257917]The residents of Baghdad are taken advantage of our help. Report after report of the abuses of the government aid.

The way to deal with the rebuilding of Baghdad is through private Iraqi developers. Let them buy the land ( at a discount of course) and let them build another crappy city.[/QUOTE]

works for me as long as we can do that to New orleans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2256370]Germany can never be compared to Iraq. If you want to make a comparison how about Vietnam.[/QUOTE]

Read the post and the response, c'mon, think a little.

[QUOTE]Baghdad is NEVER EVER going to be rebuilt ...[/QUOTE]

I said

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    [/QUOTE]

And you wackos immediately assume I am comparing one war with another.

Step off your little soapbox and try understanding the words in a post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2257918]I dunno. Did we ship money on pallets to Germany only to have it disappear miracuously into thin air?

Cmon...enough with the WW2 analogies.

5.7 Billion spent on electrical infrastructure and only 6 hours of electricity a day.

We are getting ripped off.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, what the hell does that have to do with what was posted and responded to?

Sheesh, so friggin' quick to make an assumption you fail to comprehend the written word. I will make it easy for you just like the other dullard.

Read the post and the response, c'mon, think a little.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by someone with no ability to focus
    Baghdad is NEVER EVER going to be rebuilt ...[/QUOTE]

I said

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    [/QUOTE]

Step off your little soapbox and try understanding the words in a post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are kidding right? What about what people thought about Germany. Please feel free to explain your awesome post.

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2258045]Read the post and the response, c'mon, think a little.

I said

Step off your little soapbox and try understanding the words in a post.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2258049]

Step off your little soapbox and try understanding the words in a post.[/QUOTE]

as you can see from the way the lunatic leftists have responded, it's much to involved for them to mentally process...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2258049]Step off your little soapbox and try understanding the words in a post.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you also standing on a soapbox? :P

Listen....try to understand my frustration. The Iraqi people have shown none, nil, zilch, nada effort to help rebuild their own country. Their country is devoid of talented leadership to move their country forward. The Germans did have that, in spades. The German people did not insist on blowing up the infrastructure we helped them rebuild in order to satiate their appetite for blood to settle centuries old religious feuds.

I doubt anybody didn't think Germany could be rebuilt after the Allies destroyed it. A quick study of European history shows how quickly devastated areas can turn around. Parts of Europe have been destroyed in war again and again and again. European and Western culture in general have displayed astounding resilience in the face of utter destruction. Our Middle Eastern friends do not display the same conviction. They are happy to exist in their self constructed sand prisons lagging centuries behind the rest of the world. They would rather follow, step by step, the teachings of some raving lunatic from an era bygone then to bring their countries and people into the 21st century. Their devotion to their Holy Book is only superseded by their devotion to kill anybody and anything that threatens to expose their a** backwards beliefs for what they are.

I have run out of patience for a country that gladly accepts billions of dollars of our taxpayer money to fuel their corruption. They have showed a level of incompetence that defies logic. They lean on our troops to provide security for them from people who likely have good reason to see them dead so they can busy themselves looting their own coffers so that the circle of violence continues in their region unabated. They are using and abusing our undeserved graciousness more so than an entire army of welfare family crackheads could do in 10 lifetimes.

Why anybody would show exasperation at aid sent to a US disaster area but be silent on Iraq is beyond me.