Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corzine signs law ending death penalty

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Corzine signs law ending death penalty

[QUOTE][B]New Jersey governor signs law ending death penalty
    10 hours ago[/B]

NEW YORK (AFP) New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine on Monday signed a law approved by lawmakers last week abolishing the death penalty in the northeastern US state.

Sunday the Democratic governor commuted the sentences of eight inmates, sentenced to death, to life in prison with no chance for parole.

"Today New Jersey evolves. This is a day of progress for us and for the millions of people across our nation and around the globe who reject the death penalty as a moral or practical response to the grievous, even heinous, crime of murder," Corzine said.

"I have been moved by the passionate views on both sides of this issue, and I firmly believe that replacing the death penalty with life in prison without parole best captures our State's highest values and reflects our best efforts to search for true justice," he said.

John Holdridge, the director of the ACLU's Capital Punishment Project, hailed the news as "a powerful message to the rest of the nation and the world that the death penalty is not only a grossly improper use of government power, but also the ultimate denial of civil liberties."

New Jersey became the first US state in four decades to vote to abolish the death penalty on Thursday when the Democratic-controlled state assembly passed the law by a vote of 44 to 36.

The state Senate had voted along the same lines the preceding Monday, and Corzine had repeatedly voiced support for the measure and vowed to sign it into law by January.

New Jersey was one of the states that reinstalled the death penalty after the US Supreme Court overturned an earlier ban in 1976, but it has observed a freeze on executions since 2005 along with nearly two dozen other states.

Iowa and West Virginia were the last states to vote to abolish executions in 1965. Executions are currently legal in 37 states.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2vpxphgyarO-e-Lgu3k25meXwlw[/url]

so let's see corzine; your ballot for $400-million plus to use the stem cells of murdered unborn babies goes up in smoke yet you'll let convicted murderers (for the most part) live....makes sense....

Good. Humans don't have the moral authority to end another's life. When 100% of our convictions are actually guilty, then I'll think about it. Death penalty cases cost more, anyway.

You know what that means? I can now walk into a mall with an assault rifle, kill as many people that I can in cold blood, absolutely wreak [I]havoc[/I] on the place, maybe kill a few cops too, and at most I'll spend the rest of my life in a cell with three square meals a day.

Ohh, Ohh, or I can go to an elementary school during recess and take out 100 kids.

Still, I would spend the rest of my life in a cell with 3 meals a day, and maybe a half hour for sunlight.

All League
    The death penalty hasn't been used in NJ in 44 years. I'd stick these guys in a prison like the supermax and let them rot til they die.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2272641]Ohh, Ohh, or I can go to an elementary school during recess and take out 100 kids.

Still, I would spend the rest of my life in a cell with 3 meals a day, and maybe a half hour for sunlight.[/QUOTE]

Come on Paulie try not to make generalizations, I don't support the death penalty but I know there are good arguements for it, as there are good arguements against it but saying things like this is just stupid.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2272615][url]http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2vpxphgyarO-e-Lgu3k25meXwlw[/url]

so let's see corzine; your ballot for $400-million plus to use the stem cells of murdered unborn babies goes up in smoke yet you'll let convicted murderers (for the most part) live....makes sense....[/QUOTE]

the stem cell studies can save COUNTLESS lives don't even try and create a parellel, because there is none.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2272637]You know what that means? I can now walk into a mall with an assault rifle, kill as many people that I can in cold blood, absolutely wreak [I]havoc[/I] on the place, maybe kill a few cops too, and at most I'll spend the rest of my life in a cell with three square meals a day.[/QUOTE]

If you do this as a result of Corzine's move, I'll support the death penalty, too.

If you don't do it, it must mean more than the death penalty prevents people from killing others, I guess.

You are forgetting you will def. become somone's b*tch. You wouldn't last more than a month in prison.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2272641]Ohh, Ohh, or I can go to an elementary school during recess and take out 100 kids.

Still, I would spend the rest of my life in a cell with 3 meals a day, and maybe a half hour for sunlight.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2272637]You know what that means? I can now walk into a mall with an assault rifle, kill as many people that I can in cold blood, absolutely wreak [I]havoc[/I] on the place, maybe kill a few cops too, and at most I'll spend the rest of my life in a cell with three square meals a day.[/QUOTE]

The threat of a death penalty would not prevent somebody bent on doing something like this from carrying it out. Thinking that the death penalty actual deters crime is a tad naive...

A criminal wouldn't say...I want to shoot up that school and kill lots of little kids! Oh wait....the death penalty. I have changed my evil ways. I will now go volunteer at a soup kitchen.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 12-18-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;2272850]You are forgetting you will def. become somone's b*tch. You wouldn't last more than a month in prison.[/QUOTE]

Stop talking about your own fantasies on this board please.

flushingjet
    now only if he could sign a bill ending cold blooded murder

the guy who killed those kids in newark just got an xmas present
    from corzine

this just in...anyone who is not the governor caught without
    seat belts buckled gets a stiffer prison term than killas

flushingjet
    [quote=PlumberKhan;2272939]The threat of a death penalty would not prevent somebody bent on doing something like this from carrying it out. Thinking that the death penalty actual deters crime is a tad naive...

A criminal wouldn't say...I want to shoot up that school and kill lots of little kids! Oh wait....the death penalty. I have changed my evil ways. I will now go volunteer at a soup kitchen.[/quote]

i told you not to meet me at the corner of liberal and libertarian

that intersection's in a bad neighborhood

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2272739]the stem cell studies can save COUNTLESS lives don't even try and create a parellel, because there is none.[/QUOTE]

Please.....

You think it is okay to commit murder in the name of freedom, yet a person can commit the most heinous crimes willfully, using nothing but their own freewill, but we should keep them alive and give them 3 meals a day, and in some cases a university education...

God, talk about hypocritical.

I wonder how you would spin this if it was your 5 year old daughter who was repeatedly raped, mutilated and her body was dumped off and left for dead, and the guy who did it didn't give a rats ass that he did, and would do it again if he could.

Perhaps then you would understand that if someone completely disregards the sanctity of human life, they aren't worth the air they breath.

OH WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I forgot....those that condone abortion don't highly regard the sanctity of human life...Why not screw as many people as you want without any consequence when you can use the old vacuum to suck em out...

AND WE WONDER WHY OUR KIDS ARE SCREWED UP.....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2272939]The threat of a death penalty would not prevent somebody bent on doing something like this from carrying it out. Thinking that the death penalty actual deters crime is a tad naive...

A criminal wouldn't say...I want to shoot up that school and kill lots of little kids! Oh wait....the death penalty. I have changed my evil ways. I will now go volunteer at a soup kitchen.[/QUOTE]

BS

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the death penalty as a form of deterrence. We are talking about a form of PUNISHMENT. That by definition that something one receives because they have done something wrong. No sentence stops any criminal from committing a crime. But the idea is if you go ahead and do it, this is what will happen to you.

People will commit crimes. But the problems start when liberal pansies won't punish people for committing crimes, because they need to be "rehabilitated" (trust me, I live in Canada, and lived through the whole Pierre Trudeau rehabilitation idea)

If you, through your own freewill choice, completely disregard the sanctity of human life, then why do you deserve the right to continue living?

It also has nothing to do with the inhumanity of the death penalty. Modern science has come up with a number of ways to end a life humanely. Trust me, the person being executed would never suffer as much as his victims did.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2273114]If you, through your own freewill choice, completely disregard the sanctity of human life, then why do you deserve the right to continue living?[/QUOTE]

You consider yourself a man of faith. How do you think Jesus would answer this question?

Is this another sad attempt of trying to be funny? So sad. CBTNY save your girl HD she is having problems.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2272942]Stop talking about your own fantasies on this board please.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2272739]the stem cell studies can save COUNTLESS lives don't even try and create a parellel, because there is none.[/QUOTE]

really??? embryonic stem cells have saved COUNTLESS lives??? do tell.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2273114]BS

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the death penalty as a form of deterrence. We are talking about a form of PUNISHMENT. That by definition that something one receives because they have done something wrong. No sentence stops any criminal from committing a crime. But the idea is if you go ahead and do it, this is what will happen to you.

People will commit crimes. But the problems start when liberal pansies won't punish people for committing crimes, because they need to be "rehabilitated" (trust me, I live in Canada, and lived through the whole Pierre Trudeau rehabilitation idea)

If you, through your own freewill choice, completely disregard the sanctity of human life, then why do you deserve the right to continue living?

It also has nothing to do with the inhumanity of the death penalty. Modern science has come up with a number of ways to end a life humanely. Trust me, the person being executed would never suffer as much as his victims did.[/QUOTE]

How about this, CS...

Can you guarantee that an innocent person has NEVER been put to death.
    Can you guarantee that there are NO innocent people on death row.

If you cannot guarantee that, then the life of just ONE innocent person outweighs ALL the lives of ALL the guilty people executed.

Now...it has never been proven that an innocent person has been executed. But it is accepted fact that quite a few people were sentenced to die only to have those sentences overturned in light of new evidence (dna, etc.).
    [url]http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=110[/url]

Being a man of God, as you are, you're in a position to enlighten us on the inherent imperfection of mankind. Man, being imperfect as they are, are subsequently prone to making mistakes.

An imperfect system staffed by nothing but imperfect people are in NO position to make calls of life and death. Only one person(?) is in that position.

Would you not agree?

Please don't misconstrue this as liberal rehabilitation-ism. Trust me, I like to see the guilty fry just like everyone else.

This is a good move by my Jarhead Brother. Totally reducing the costs in NJ and ensuring that there will be no errors.

Most people on Death Row do not get proper representation and that clearly is not fair from the start.