Thread: Time's 2007 Person of the Year is...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Time's 2007 Person of the Year is...

Vlad Putin... wtf?

[url]http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/1,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html?cnn=yes[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2275442]Vlad Putin... wtf?
    [/QUOTE]

I know. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that on MSNBC.com this morning.

I kinda bolsters CBTNY's liberal rag argument of left leaning media these days.

Next year TIME will honor MS-13 as "Persons of the Year"...:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

[url]http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/1,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html?cnn=yes[/url][/QUOTE]

Wait....it wasn't Ron Paul?:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2275515]I know. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that on MSNBC.com this morning.

I kinda bolsters CBTNY's liberal rag argument of left leaning media these days.

Next year TIME will honor MS-13 as "Persons of the Year"...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Why would making an authoritarian dictator person of the year make Time liberal?

I scoffed at this choice, too, but then I tried to think of someone better and couldn't.

The fact is, Time is supposed to pick the person who history will later judge shaped the year in the most significant way. This is why in the past they didn't hesitate to pick bad guys like Hitler when appropriate.

They basically lost all sense of the report when they failed to give it to Bin Laden in 2001, who was clearly the "man of the year" in terms of altering history, and they've gotten even blurrier about what they are recognizing since (last year, it was "You.")

Putin is a throwback choice, I think. Russia --still the world's No. 2 military power-- turning authoritarian again is a huge story in a historical sense, and obviously Putin is driving it there.

I'd be interested to hear alternative choices from people:

Lou Dobbs? (Sparked nativist movement in U.S.)

Al Gore? (Mainstreamed the green movement)

Pervez Musharraf? (Illustrated the Faustian nature of our alliances in the WOT)

Barry Bonds?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He give Krafty the ring back yet? Commie bastard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

[url]http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/1,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html?cnn=yes[/url][/QUOTE]

I'm assuming Marina Litvinenko did not have a vote.
    Last edited by Phoenixx; 12-19-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2275597]Why would making an authoritarian dictator person of the year make Time liberal?

I scoffed at this choice, too, but then I tried to think of someone better and couldn't.

The fact is, Time is supposed to pick the person who history will later judge shaped the year in the most significant way. This is why in the past they didn't hesitate to pick bad guys like Hitler when appropriate.

They basically lost all sense of the report when they failed to give it to Bin Laden in 2001, who was clearly the "man of the year" in terms of altering history, and they've gotten even blurrier about what they are recognizing since (last year, it was "You.")

Putin is a throwback choice, I think. Russia --still the world's No. 2 military power-- turning authoritarian again is a huge story in a historical sense, and obviously Putin is driving it there.

I'd be interested to hear alternative choices from people:

Lou Dobbs? (Sparked nativist movement in U.S.)

Al Gore? (Mainstreamed the green movement)

Pervez Musharraf? (Illustrated the Faustian nature of our alliances in the WOT)

Barry Bonds?[/QUOTE]

I would have picked Gore

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it figures ... guy is basically dictator who have been taking away the rights of the people ...

Next year it will be the head of Hamas

[quote=Tanginius;2275442]Vlad Putin... wtf?

[URL]http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/1,28804,1690753_1690757_1690766,00.html?cnn=yes[/URL][/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan;2275881]it figures ... guy is basically dictator who have been taking away the rights of the people ...

Next year it will be the head of Hamas[/QUOTE]

That's why they picked him. It's not supposed to be a positive award. It's supposed to go to the person who most impacts the year, hence the year they gave it to Hitler.

Who do you think should have gotten it this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Ron Paul ... I hear he is starting a revolution or something :rolleyes:

Time is not relevant anymore ... anyway

[quote=nuu faaola;2275920]That's why they picked him. It's not supposed to be a positive award. It's supposed to go to the person who most impacts the year, hence the year they gave it to Hitler.

Who do you think should have gotten it this year?[/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan;2275967]I guess Ron Paul ... I hear he is starting a revolution or something :rolleyes:

Time is not relevant anymore ... anyway[/QUOTE]

Agree about Time being irrelevent. It sucks.

People still care about the person of the year award, though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2275660]I would have picked Gore[/QUOTE]

It's "Person of the Year," not "Scam Artist of the Year"

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2275600]He give Krafty the ring back yet? Commie bastard.[/QUOTE]

No but they found an imprint of it on Alexander Litvinenko's face before the poison killed him......

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have considered JK Rowling for POTY. She did a lot for children's literacy here in the States and around the world.

When so many kids grow up playing videogames and watching TV now, would you ever think the big event would be a new book unveiling? It was refreshing to see kids lined up outside of a Barnes & Noble at midnight instead of outside of a videogame store waiting for a new console or game to be released.

I know it's more luck than anyhting else that her books were a hit, but I think she deserves a lot of credit for making reading "cool." My hat goes off to her.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    POTY = Steve Jobs ... or maybe just the iPHONE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan;2275881]it figures ... guy is basically dictator who have been taking away the rights of the people ...

Next year it will be the head of Hamas[/QUOTE]

Geez, the award is based on impact, not fluffy goodness

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, every year that the POTY isn't God makes me feel like the secularliberalommunists have won.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kotch;2278814]Frankly, every year that the POTY isn't God makes me feel like the secularliberalommunists have won.[/QUOTE]

And everytime that football is broadcast on the Sabbath I feel the same way...