Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Democrat" as a slur

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

"Democrat" as a slur

[QUOTE=Warfish;2276431]I listen to Politics Radio (both sides) on the way in and out of work most days. And if I got out for luch, I listen to Rush. I don't watch TV outside CSI episodes......

And I have never heard the term in the way you and wikipedia put it, and frankly the wikipedia entry you listed screams more about Bush's status-quo horrid grammer and Democrats weak-spines sensativity over everything than it does for my ignorance of appropriate terminology.

I mean, really, what would YOU call a single Democratic Party member? A "Democratic"? That is almost as bad as Bush's "Democrat Party". No wait, it's worse. At least "Democrat Party" rolls off the tongue decently well. A "Democratic" person or a "democratic" Candidate not only sounds assinine, it is NOT accurate. A member of the Democratic Party is a Democrat, per the Dictionary for crying out loud. A "Democratic" person is one who believes int he concept of Democracy, not neccessarily any specific party. They're ALL "Democratic" Candidates.

So, in discussing the individual people running for the Democratic Patry nomination, it is absolutely appropriate to use the term Democrat.[/QUOTE]

From here: [url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/21/AR2006112101223.html[/url]

"If he wanted to, President Bush could change the tone in Washington with a single syllable: He could just say "ic." That is, he could stop referring to the opposition as the "Democrat Party" and call the other side, as it prefers, the Democratic Party.

The derisive use of "Democrat" in this way was [b]a Bush staple[/b] during the recent campaign"

"But even as he promised to work to change the tone in Washington after the elections, the president couldn't manage to change his language. In his day-after-the-elections news conference, Bush employed this [b]needling locution five times.[/b]"

"The president isn't alone in his adjectival aversion to "Democratic" when it comes to the party. The provenance of the sneering label "Democrat Party" stretches back to the Harding administration."

"Democrat Party was used, pardon the phrase, liberally by Wisconsin [b]Sen. Joseph McCarthy[/b]. According to the Columbia Guide to Standard American English, " Democrat as an adjective is still sometimes used by some twentieth-century Republicans as a campaign tool but was used with particular virulence" by McCarthy, "who sought by repeatedly calling it the Democrat party to deny it any possible benefit of the suggestion that it might also be democratic.""

"There is, I concede, a trivial, sticks-and-stones quality to this linguistic bickering." ... "But as a matter of simple politeness -- something the Bush family is famously good at -- it's rude to call people by a term that makes them bristle, even a seemingly innocuous one."

From here: [url]http://mediamatters.org/items/200701240002#msnbc[/url]

"Fox News falsely claimed Bush referred to "Democratic majority" in State of the Union" (surprised?)

"As Media Matters for America has repeatedly noted, the use of "Democrat" as an adjective is a slur that originated with Republican operatives. Republicans consistently refer to the "Democrat Party," even though that is not what members of the Democratic Party call themselves, and use the noun "Democrat" as an adjective"

"According to Hertzberg, in the early 1990s, the use of the word "Democrat" as an adjective became nearly universal among Republicans, apparently due largely to the urging of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA) and Republican pollster Frank Luntz."

[b]"Dropping the "ic" from the word "Democratic" may seem insignificant, but it was almost certainly a deliberate move by Bush, who has used the phrase "the Democrat Party" for months as a way of needling his opponents."

"The phrase lay largely dormant for years, however, until President Bush resuscitated it during last fall's midterm election season and made it a mainstay of his public remarks about the opposition party. It has since been widely adopted by many Republican lawmakers, conservative political activists, and conservative commentators and pundits at media outlets like Fox News."[/b]

From here: [url]http://mediamatters.org/items/200608160005[/url]

"The ungrammatical conversion of the noun "Democrat" to an adjective was the brainchild of Republican partisans"

From here: [url]http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/08/07/060807ta_talk_hertzberg[/url]

"There’s no great mystery about the motives behind this deliberate misnaming. “Democrat Party” is a slur, or intended to be—a handy way to express contempt. Aesthetic judgments are subjective, of course, but “Democrat Party” is jarring verging on ugly. It fairly screams “rat.” At a slightly higher level of sophistication, it’s an attempt to deny the enemy the positive connotations of its chosen appellation."

"In the conservative media, the phenomenon feeds more voraciously the closer you get to the mucky, sludgy bottom. “Democrat Party” is standard jargon on right-wing talk radio and common on winger Web sites like NewsMax.com"

From here: [url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/12/06/BL2006120600941_pf.html[/url]

"Bush's alleged commitment to bipartisanship would probably be easier to swallow if he referred to the opposition party by its proper name. Although the White House press office tidied up the official transcript, the fact is that even in talking about finding common ground, the president referred to the "Democrat party" -- a clipped, derogatory locution favored by those who suggest that it isn't "democratic."

And btw WF, Limbaugh says it intentionally all the time

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real question is if its cool for Democratic Party Members to call each other Democrat?

Hypersensitivity and hypocisy... like the other side hasn't coined "NeoCon" in an effort to tie Conservatives to Nazi's and Convicts.

Get ova' it, its not that big a deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    what's hysterical is how sensitive the rats are and how they keep renaming themselves....first it's democrat....then it's liberal....now they call themselves progressives....meanwhile, as stated above, the have no problems with neo-cons, cons, etc....

next time maybe they'll be a little more realistic and call themselves sh!theads....it's fitting....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than calling out a Mod, did you have an actual point?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is utterly ridiculous.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2276489]The real question is if its cool for Democratic Party Members to call each other Democrat?

[/QUOTE]

You can't say that, that's [B]THEIR[/B] term for referring to each other. It's like rap music, don't you get it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2276573]You can't say that, that's [B]THEIR[/B] term for referring to each other. It's like rap music, don't you get it?[/QUOTE]

I see you got my subtle reference. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on dude.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2276567]Other than calling out a Mod, did you have an actual point?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec;2276571]This is utterly ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Just informing you how old this trick is and how widespread it is... so you know why I expected you to know about it

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2276821]Just informing you how old this trick is and how widespread it is... so you know why I expected you to know about it[/QUOTE]

Well, consider me informed as to the vast over-sensitivity of Democratic People of the Democratic persuation engaging in our Democratic system of electing Democratic candidates.....

But be aware, I will continue to use the term Democrat when referring to Democrat....ics in the individual. Sorry if they (and I stress they, not YOU) find it offensive and horribly sluuuuur-like, but they'll just have to get over it I suppose.

And I stress them and not you, as YOU are a Registered Republican now, and hence have no standing to be offended in this case regardless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2276889]Well, consider me informed as to the vast over-sensitivity of Democratic People of the Democratic persuation engaging in our Democratic system of electing Democratic candidates.....

But be aware, I will continue to use the term Democrat when referring to Democrat....ics in the individual. Sorry if they (and I stress they, not YOU) find it offensive and horribly sluuuuur-like, but they'll just have to get over it I suppose.

And I stress them and not you, as YOU are a Registered Republican now, and hence have no standing to be offended in this case regardless.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say, Warfishic...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2277082]Whatever you say, Warfishic...[/QUOTE]

You got it backwards Plumberkh.....you have to apparently remove the last two letters to make it a slur.

So for me, that means I am Warfi. Sounds like the name of a poodle, lawl.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wonder if they like to be called rats

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2277210]i wonder if they like to be called rats[/QUOTE]

Rat is a definitive term used to disparage a democrat. It is not used in any type of professional setting by any person within the media or the political realm as a standard for identifying a democrat.

That term does not figure into this conversation unless you want it degrade into elementary schoolyard name-calling.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    mr. sensative strikes again!!!

probably as much as conservatives liked to be called cons, neo-cons, right wingers, reich wingers etc.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant;2277225]Rat is a definitive term used to disparage a democrat. It is not used in any type of professional setting by any person within the media or the political realm as a standard for identifying a democrat.

That term does not figure into this conversation unless you want it degrade into elementary schoolyard name-calling.[/QUOTE]

thanks for pointing out the obvious....which I, as well as many of the rats on this forum :D are guilty of....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2277234]mr. sensative strikes again!!!

probably as much as conservatives liked to be called cons, neo-cons, right wingers, reich wingers etc.....[/QUOTE]

right wingers is bad? I can see the negative connotations with the other names... but right wingers? please explain

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2277235]thanks for pointing out the obvious....which I, as well as many of the rats on this forum :D are guilty of....[/QUOTE]

you?!? NEVER! ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably not. But you'll notice (I hope) that I do not use that term.

I mean really Bit, please tell me you're not buying into this as a legitimate "slur" are you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i refer to all the Democrats in my life as "tree-hugging communist"

Would that be offensive?