Thread: Mukasey cuts off White House access to information on probes

Mukasey cuts off White House access to information on probes

Seven years of WH interference ends, but the damage is already done.

[QUOTE]Mukasey cuts off White House access to information on probes
    By Marisa Taylor | McClatchy Newspapers
    Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

WASHINGTON Attorney General Michael Mukasey Wednesday reversed a controversial Bush administration policy that had allowed numerous White House officials to know about ongoing federal investigations.

In a memo to Justice Department employees, Mukasey said communications about criminal and civil investigations "must be limited."

[B]During his confirmation hearings in October, Mukasey had promised that he'd change the policy after senators said it enabled White House officials to exert improper influence on the Justice Department.[/B]

Justice Department officials now will inform the White House about investigations "only where it is important for the performance of the president's duties" and crucial "from a law enforcement perspective," Mukasey said.

[B]The original policy authorized more than 40 Justice Department officials and 400 White House officials to know about ongoing investigations, according to Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, a leading Democratic proponent of changing the policy.

During the Clinton administration, seven White House and Justice officials were permitted to receive such information.

Justice Department spokesman Peter Carr said Mukasey's new policy mirrors the Clinton administration's, but allows more officials to receive details about national security matters.[/B]

Mukasey's predecessor, Alberto Gonzales, resigned after a nine-month long firestorm over the ouster of nine U.S. attorneys and allegations of improper political meddling in Justice Department business.

One of the fired U.S. attorneys, David Iglesias of New Mexico, accused Republican Senator Pete Domenici of trying to pressure him to indict Democrats before the 2006 congressional elections. Domenici admitted calling Iglesias but denied making any inappropriate demands.

White House officials also acknowledged contacting the Justice Department after they received Republican complaints about the department's handling of election fraud investigations.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/23446.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    hurray!

It is embarassing what they have done.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2276818]hurray![/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]...more than 40 Justice Department officials and 400 White House officials to know about ongoing investigations...[/QUOTE]

Holy fuqing sh*t!

So let me see if I have this strait.....you're happy.....because now Justice can more easily launch as many secret Investigations as it likes, without as many folks above knowing about it.

So more and more secret investigations = good?

Getting ready in advance for Clinton II's reign?:P

If you run an investigation it is not exactly secret, the investigation should and are maintained within the agencies that are in the Dept. of Justice. The WH was using the Dept. of Justice as a political arm of the WH.

Sorry to say this but, War you have know idea what you are talking about.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2277122]So let me see if I have this strait.....you're happy.....because now Justice can more easily launch as many secret Investigations as it likes, without as many folks above knowing about it.

Getting ready in advance for Clinton II's reign?:P[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by cr726; 12-20-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2277122]So let me see if I have this strait.....you're happy.....because now Justice can more easily launch as many secret Investigations as it likes, without as many folks above knowing about it.

Getting ready in advance for Clinton II's reign?:P[/QUOTE]

interesting take... however the true meaning is there won't be as much Executive branch interfering with Justice Dept investigations which is a good thing as it is impossible to trust a Justice Dept to do the right thing if the Executive branch is controlling it/interfering

and let's hope there is no Clinton presidency!

[QUOTE=cr726;2277138]If you run an investigation it is not exactly secret, the investigation should and are maintained within the agencies that are in the Dept. of Justice. The WH was using the Dept. of Justice as a political arm of the WH.

Sorry to say this but, War you have know idea what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

It's called a joke my friend, hence the (I thought obvious) :P

You've been around long enough CR, you should know better.

You got me War, you are right I should of known. I read this right after reading one of Flushing wierdo posts. Sorry.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2277306]It's called a joke my friend, hence the (I thought obvious) :P

You've been around long enough CR, you should know better.[/QUOTE]