Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The iPod Touch - The Best Christmas Present

[QUOTE=CIL;2278151] I have the 16G version and I would love to have more storage.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2278155]What are all the things this can do?

Someone educate me.[/QUOTE]

Music: Just like an iPod, but with a substantially better UI using your finger on a touchscreen to navigate.

iTunes Music Store: When connected to wi-fi in your house or for free at a library or in some cafe's, you can sample all the music iTunes offers and download straight to the device. I was in O'Hare last week, found free wi-fi, and pulled down a TV show to watch on my return home. Next time you sync to iTunes, it puts the purchased file on your PC.

Video: The big reason to buy this device, the large screen is just amazingly bright and clear. You truly can watch a full length movie without any eye strain and really enjoy the experience. Comes with a stand so you can prop it up on a tray table on a plane or train.

Internet: Has a real web browser built in. Not some dumbed down browser like on a cellphone. You can do everything you can do on your laptop in a fraction of the size using the onscreen keyboard (see below) and your finger. Tap the screen to zoom in/out.

Photos: Almost as exciting as the video is the big screen impact for still photos. You use your finger to flick through photos that you sync in iTunes to your My Documents folder. Tap the screen to zoom in/out.

Calendar/Contacts: You can sync to Outlook and other time management suites to always have a view of your tasks. Not a biggie to me, but important to some people.

Flash based: The fact that this has no hard drive and no moving parts means that it's much better on battery life and is an instant-on device. Big snow this morning, needed to see if the kids school was cancelled. Left my iTouch on the nightstand. Woke up, hit a button, launched the browser, went to 'favorites', saw that school was closed, went back to bed. The whole process took under 20 seconds. That's opposed to getting dressed, walking downstairs, booting up my computer, launching IE, navigating, etc.

People think it's just a sexed-up and expensive iPod. It's really much more. It's a photo viewer, a video viewer, and a portable internet device.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;2278165]Can't run with it, doesn't support Rhapsody, and expensive as hell...no thanks.[/QUOTE]

We live in a world where one portable media player isn't enough. It's become situational.

I have my Gen 1 Nano for running or laying on a sandy beach. I have my 80gb Classic in my car as a 10,000 song rolling library. I have my iTouch for web surfing and video on the go.

With prices as they are, there's no reason you can't buy a Sansa for running and an iTouch for commuting / traveling.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;2278161]Ah, I can see why you're a bit frustrated with the video compression; it's because you're using the wrong settings for the iTouch. As such, the quality is more than you need, the file size is 5x what you need, and its taking you 5x as long to rip it. I was making the same mistake until someone in an iPod forum set me straight.

I can get the typical 90 minute movie down to a 250mb size. If you follow the recommended settings (see above) you'll find that you won't notice the difference in picture/audio quality and you'll get 5x the content in 1/5th the time :)

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Ill give that a try. I just use the preset Handbrake settings for the iTouch which is really slow. The browser is still a bit frustrating since you cant actually download a file. I you find some eye candy you need to rely on a bookmark to bring you back. This device could be GREAT...right now its very good

[QUOTE=SAR I;2278177]We live in a world where one portable media player isn't enough. It's become situational.

I have my Gen 1 Nano for running or laying on a sandy beach. I have my 80gb Classic in my car as a 10,000 song rolling library. I have my iTouch for web surfing and video on the go.

With prices as they are, there's no reason you can't buy a Sansa for running and an iTouch for commuting / traveling.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

It's enough for me...when I'm out of the house, it's usually to get away from electronic media. Running being the exception, and the ipod touch is useless in that regards.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2278170]Bingo.[/QUOTE]

I know you and I disagree on this issue, but seeing that it is physically impossible to listen to 15,000 songs and watch 300 movies on a single charge, there's really no reason to drag all that around with you.

Do some simple math. Figure that you have 4 hours a day to listen to music and that the average song is 5 minutes long. That's 12 songs an hour, or 48 songs a day, or 336 songs a week, or 1344 songs a month. Unless you must never hear the same song twice in a YEAR, a 16 gb iTouch is all you need.

If you think about it, you spent all that time ripping, re-naming, tagging, and organizing your collection. Took you days and days. You did a good job. Congrats.

Now, go back and look for only the songs you [I]really [/I]want to hear. Don't kid yourself. Be honest. For every one "Tomorrow Never Knows" there are five "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby". That's the way the music industry works, right? 12 cuts on an LP, 4 you adore, 4 are "eh", and 4 are awful.

If you do the math, those 15,000 songs you ripped really only equate to 3,000 songs you actually want to hear on a regular basis. I'd kick myself if I didn't have "Synchronicity II" on me at all times, but I don't miss not having "Tea In The Sahara".

So, let iTunes be what it's supposed to be. Your LIBRARY of music. The whole collection. Then let iPod be what it's supposed to be. A [I]portable [/I]version of what you actually want to hear.

And the best way to pull together what you actually want to hear is a series of Playlists. Hit 'shuffle' and you're done.

A good iPod setup with enough music for an entire month would look like this:

1000 Songs from Playlists (What you want to hear, no filler)
    500 Songs from Albums (50 complete LP's, old faves, new must-haves)
    30 Videos from DVD's (Your classic movies, new unwatched, TV shows too)
    100 Photos (Most recent family pictures you'd want to show others)

Get bored with "Best of the Beatles"? Uncheck that Playlist and choose "Best of Britpop" that week.

Many people carry around the iPod Classic just because they are too lazy to organize only the songs they really want to listen to. Take it that one step further with a series of good Playlists and your life gets much, much better. Never a bad song hits your ears. Enough music to last a month without hearing the same song twice.

And that's the beauty part of the iTouch. My matrix above fits pefectly on its 16gb flash drive. I get the best form factor, the best UI, and the biggest screen and I don't sacrifice any listening enjoyment.

SAR I

Hey Sar what is the best desktop on the market right now?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;2278180]It's enough for me...when I'm out of the house, it's usually to get away from electronic media. Running being the exception, and the ipod touch is useless in that regards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see your point. It's not designed for a jogger looking to escape from the connected world. It's designed for someone who really enjoys media and wants as much video quality as he has audio quality. Not to be used while sweaty and running around. To be used in a business suit on the train or on a plane.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2278185]Hey Sar what is the best desktop on the market right now?[/QUOTE]

If you mean desktop PC (such as a tower that sits under your desk) I just bought an HP Core Duo II with 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive for under $700 at Best Buy. Very fast, lots of space, and Vista runs extremely well with the extra horsepower.

I can't tell you what's "best" as I no longer care about the hardware as they've become as commoditized as a toaster. So long as the brand is reputable and the price is right, buy what you want.

SAR I

It's simple really, I spend a lot of time in my car and don't make nearly as much money as you do, thus if I'm spending several hundred dollars on a mp3 player, I want it to hold everything I have. I don't want to have to keep a second iPod (which I do now) for my larger library and a smaller iPod for when I'm on the go if I'm spending THAT amount of money on something.

The iTouch for you is a luxury because you can afford for it to be, I on the otherhand like to have my entire library whenever I'm with me. A 32 gig would afford me that luxury for the MOST part (I'd still have about another 15 gig worth of songs but a lot of it is stuff I never even listen to anymore), plus it would afford me enough room to throw a few movies on there and maybe a season of Rescue Me as well.

16 just ain't enough, not for that price. No way, playlists are just dandy, but I prefer to not be limited in case I get a jones for something that I might not have planned for.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2278190]

16 just ain't enough, not for that price. No way, playlists are just dandy, but I prefer to not be limited in case I get a jones for something that I might not have planned for.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I'm assuming that you haven't ripped your DVD collection. You may find, as I did, that once you start jonesing movies moreso than music that the bigger screen is the deal breaker. But if your iPod needs are really focused in the car, there's nothing better than a high-capacity Classic.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2278098]Ask for one for yourself or get one for somebody you love. It's great for music, but it's really God's gift to video. The web browser is great wherever there's wi-fi. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC01439.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC01434.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC01444.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC01391.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Nope. 16GB won't do it. They'll have 30+ within 6 months. Then it becomes compelling. You don't design a bright red exotic car with a 200HP engine. The Touch is built for video....but on the outside only.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2278210]Fair enough, but I'm assuming that you haven't ripped your DVD collection. You may find, as I did, that once you start jonesing movies moreso than music that the bigger screen is the deal breaker. But if your iPod needs are really focused in the car, there's nothing better than a high-capacity Classic.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Classic is the best deal around. The 80GB version is probably the best value in portable entertainment right now....even with a smallish screen. A year and half ago people were drooling over that screen.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2278166]I have a few Sinatra. "My Way" is one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Stop kissin Paulie's azzzz....:D

Veteran
    Do any Ipods allow you to shuffle WITHIN a playlist? I have the Nano and I have uploaded whole cd's to certain playlists. Without shuffling, you have to hear all the songs on each cd one after the other. I'd much rather have it jump around within the playlist. Any solution??

All League
    [QUOTE=EtsFan;2278276]Do any Ipods allow you to shuffle WITHIN a playlist? I have the Nano and I have uploaded whole cd's to certain playlists. Without shuffling, you have to hear all the songs on each cd one after the other. I'd much rather have it jump around within the playlist. Any solution??[/QUOTE]

Yes of course you can shuffle within a playlist. To do so, I go to Settings... then Shuffle... then select "Shuffle Songs".

Then, go to your Playlist and start enjoying! You'll see the shuffle icon in the top right.

Good luck!

I picked up a Touch a month ago based on SARs thread and Handbreak info - must say I am thrilled so far! Yes it only holds 16G vs my 80G but I have learned to condense. I've found that the majority of the 80G material just sits there - I streamline and rotate movies on the touch and it has worked out great - I usually have my fave playlists and 10 movies at all times. Its easy to shuffle it up when you synch

The Screen is absolutely worth it - 1,000X better than the video ipod screen - I watched Lord of the rings on it and it was awesome. The Wifi is also very nice and if you go to ipod help you can find a way to get Sirius on it as well.

Perfect Xmas gift if you have the money or are asking for something big!

Thanks SAR!

so is the 8GB not even worth getting?

i'm thinking about getting this for someone but as a poster stated earlier, in a few months there will be a 30 GB one or whatever...should i go for the 16GB?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=NYBuckeye;2278606]so is the 8GB not even worth getting?

i'm thinking about getting this for someone but as a poster stated earlier, in a few months there will be a 30 GB one or whatever...should i go for the 16GB?[/QUOTE]

There won't be a 30gb for a long, long time as Apple can barely keep up with demand for the 16gb version. Their business model is to wait until the product starts to downtrend and then offer more capacity for the same price. That won't happen until next Christmas at the earliest from what I hear.

The 8GB is fine too. Again, you just need to subscribe to the philosophy that you don't need to take every song you own with you all the time. That you can pre-plan a bit and make some playlists of your core favorites (Best of The Beatles, High School Faves, etc.) and decide what movies you want to watch before you leave the house.

iTunes is the "library", the iPod is the "backpack". iTunes has all 10,000 of your songs and all 500 movies, the iPod has the 1500 songs you care the most about and the 30 movies you feel like watching. Some will tell you that you need a big huge hard drive version of an iPod, but I'll tell you that you would need 5 years to listen to 10,000 songs so what's the point of carrying them with you all the time? Why carry all 300 U2 songs when you really only adore 50 of them? Playlists are your friend. Use them.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=BrowningNagle;2278556]I picked up a Touch a month ago based on SARs thread and Handbreak info - must say I am thrilled so far! Yes it only holds 16G vs my 80G but I have learned to condense. I've found that the majority of the 80G material just sits there - I streamline and rotate movies on the touch and it has worked out great - I usually have my fave playlists and 10 movies at all times. Its easy to shuffle it up when you synch

The Screen is absolutely worth it - 1,000X better than the video ipod screen - I watched Lord of the rings on it and it was awesome. The Wifi is also very nice and if you go to ipod help you can find a way to get Sirius on it as well.

Perfect Xmas gift if you have the money or are asking for something big!

Thanks SAR![/QUOTE]

No problem, and glad you're happy.

And to your point, having a series of Playlists is the best way to enjoy your music collection. I find that there are around 10 LP's that I must have at all times (complete albums) and then there are around 1000 of my very favorite songs I must have at all times (on Playlists like "Pink Floyd's Best" or "College Tunes"). When I want to hear a complete LP, I navigate to it. When I want to hear a type of music, I go to the Playlist.

Some will say "well, if I'm on a plane and I want to hear some Lenny Kravitz, I need to have all my Kravitz albums on my huge iPod". And my point is that as long as you have a Playlist that includes your favorite 50 Kravitz songs, you won't miss the 150 bad ones that you don't listen to anyway. Playlists are the key to your iTunes collection. It's like the mix tapes you used to make back in the 80's. Those that manage their collections properly through a series of well-crafted Playlists can benefit from the smaller/better iPod's that use flash and have bigger screens and better battery life. Power users know this to be true.

SAR I