Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The iPod Touch - The Best Christmas Present

All League
    My friend who is an apple developer in cali told me new iphone and itouch models will come out in spring 08'. He's not allowed to tell me what new features but he said they always increase the storage on new models.

Handbrake works he best for converting video. Videora isn't bad either, it has presets for conversions.

Videora also lets you convert videos to play on a Sony PSP. While I mostly convert for my iPhone, viewing videos on the PSP is nice with the bigger screen and I dont have to worry about syncing with iTunes. Its just drag and drop to the PSP.
    Last edited by JetsPhoto; 12-21-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Here's my dilemma, I have a 4 GB Nano now and I use it mainly for running which I've been quite happy with. I have no problem 'condensing' songs to the 15-20 albums I want to listen to the most. But I know through the grapevine that I'm getting a new touch from the Family for Christmas. Is it really worth the upgrade? The one I have now is limited, no video, internet, photos are kinda limited with such a small screen. But I find it hard to imagine I'd have much uses for sitting down and watching a movie on my iPod, as like I said I use it mainly for going out and running.

Generally, I set an album to play and throw it in my pocket while I run. Is the new 'Touch' Ipod something you'd still consider 'Pocket-sized' and is there some sort of lock in there so the volume or song won't change suddenly on me with the movement?

I've thought about returning it and put the money towards something I'd rather have, but if it's a big enough upgrade I might just keep it.

All League
    SAR....

What's the best way to adjust the settings to fit my widescreen DVDs on my iPod. The picture is so narrow. Is there a way to get rid of the cutoffs all together and have the picture fill the whole screen?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Ven0m;2278921]Here's my dilemma, I have a 4 GB Nano now and I use it mainly for running which I've been quite happy with. I have no problem 'condensing' songs to the 15-20 albums I want to listen to the most. But I know through the grapevine that I'm getting a new touch from the Family for Christmas. Is it really worth the upgrade? The one I have now is limited, no video, internet, photos are kinda limited with such a small screen. But I find it hard to imagine I'd have much uses for sitting down and watching a movie on my iPod, as like I said I use it mainly for going out and running.

Generally, I set an album to play and throw it in my pocket while I run. Is the new 'Touch' Ipod something you'd still consider 'Pocket-sized' and is there some sort of lock in there so the volume or song won't change suddenly on me with the movement?

I've thought about returning it and put the money towards something I'd rather have, but if it's a big enough upgrade I might just keep it.[/QUOTE]

You need both. Keep the Nano for jogging and nasty environments like the beach. But for watching video on the train/bus/plane or surfing the web in a Starbucks, keep the iPod Touch.

People need more than one iPod these days. Think of one as your workout music player and the other as your traveling media player.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=The Infamous One;2278958]SAR....

What's the best way to adjust the settings to fit my widescreen DVDs on my iPod. The picture is so narrow. Is there a way to get rid of the cutoffs all together and have the picture fill the whole screen?[/QUOTE]

On the iPod Classic, the screen is closer to a 4:3 size so you wind up with a lot more dead space. The iPod Touch has a 16:9 sized screen so you get far less (often none) dead space.

No, you can't convert a widescreen DVD to full screen and still enjoy the movie. You can chop off the sides and zoom in to what's left, but that's a poor solution.

SAR I

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JetChefJR;2278491]Yes of course you can shuffle within a playlist. To do so, I go to Settings... then Shuffle... then select "Shuffle Songs".

Then, go to your Playlist and start enjoying! You'll see the shuffle icon in the top right.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Dohhhhhhhhhhhh! Guess I should have read the instructions! Thanks!

All League
    I'll get one as soon as I turn 40. Or until I get a job that needs me to travel.

[QUOTE=SAR I;2278140](Repost of the October thread. Here you go: )

Since a lot of you are wondering, here are the steps to archiving one's DVD collection for either the iPod Classic or the iPod Touch:

1. Download Handbrake (Google it).

2. Download DVD43 (Google it).

3. Launch DVD43, let it run in the background. No configuration needed.

4. Launch Handbrake and do the following:

a. Go to Presets > iPod Low Rez
    b. Go to the Video Settings tab and change the Avg Bitrate to 300
    c. Go to the Audio Settings tab and change the Bitrate to 86
    d. Go to the Source window and navigate to your DVD drive and select the VIDEO_TS folder
    e. Go to the Destination window and navigate to a folder where you want to store your rip
    f. Wait a minute while the CLI scans the disc
    g. Hit the Encode Video button

That's it. This will produce the best quality video with the smallest file size possible, optimized for the iPod's screen. You don't need to own a video iPod to start the process. You can watch them all in iTunes on your notebook until you get the real thing. The software is free. You can start now and have your first DVD archived in under a half hour.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Sar, If I just wanted to Rip Movies is this the "How to" for it?

My Function---Just to watch them on my Laptop, and store every movie my friends have. Obviously I plan to get the Itouch one day, and already have Ituens.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2278142]The biggest one is 16GB which will hold:

1500 songs
    30 full-length movies
    150 digital photos

It's not about capacity; it's about the UI and the incredible screen for the video. Use iTunes properly to create playlists and there's no reason to carry 12,000 songs with you everywhere.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I'm getting the iPod Touch for Christmas, not sure if it's going to be the 8 GB or 16 GB. For me, I'll probably only have 5-10 full-length movies and max 50 photos.

As an example, lets say I had 50 photos and 10 full-length movies. How many songs could I then fit on the 16 GB version.

Basically what I'm asking is, how much space does a typical 2-hr movie take up? Typical photo? 4-min song?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2279545]Sar, If I just wanted to Rip Movies is this the "How to" for it?

My Function---Just to watch them on my Laptop, and store every movie my friends have. Obviously I plan to get the Itouch one day, and already have Ituens.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is the 'how to' for ripping DVD's for the iPod Touch as well as in iTunes on a notebook for viewing that way. The only thing to keep in mind is that those Handbrake settings are optimized for the iTouch's screen size specifically; keeps the file size way down with no noticable loss of picture quality on that small screen. On a bigger notebook screen, you'll notice some slight artifacts. You can rip at a higher quality bitrate for your notebook as it has a bigger hard drive than 16gb, but using them later on the iTouch will cause you to needlessly lose capacity.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=bravesQB718;2279556]I'm getting the iPod Touch for Christmas, not sure if it's going to be the 8 GB or 16 GB. For me, I'll probably only have 5-10 full-length movies and max 50 photos.

As an example, lets say I had 50 photos and 10 full-length movies. How many songs could I then fit on the 16 GB version.

Basically what I'm asking is, how much space does a typical 2-hr movie take up? Typical photo? 4-min song?[/QUOTE]

Okay.....some rough math.....very rough.....

I'm averaging 300mb per 2 hour movie file (Handbrake, M4V), I'm averaging 3mb per 4 minute song (MP3 ripped at 160), and I'm averaging 1mb per digital photo (7mp).

Currently, my 16gb iPod Touch has 1900 songs, 30 movies, 5 music videos, and 100 photos on it and still has 500mb available.

So, 10 movies would be 3gb (some less than 2 hours long) and 50 photos would be 50mb, leaving you approximately 12gb for 3000 songs (some less than 4 minutes, some greater) or so. Again, very rough math as your ripping and photo sizes may be different, but that's in the ballpark.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2279588]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I just bought two Nanos (8G black one for myself, 4G for my oldest daughter-she insisted she wanted the smaller one, my other 3 kids all have the last version of the Nano). I think it has finally been perfected for music storage, perfect size and functionality. I use it when I run, so anything bigger is not necessary, and the shuffle isn't functional enough. I put my old mini in my M3, had it hardwired so I don't ever take it out other than to update music. Battery is shot.

I have a hard time with the whole movie thing on a hand held. I just can't see (and when I mean "see", I mean that both ways) watching movies on something that small. My preference is to not watch movies on anything smaller than my laptop, so I guess it's not that big of a deal for me. Plus I web browse on my BB Curve, but admittedly it's not great.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;2279599]I just bought two Nanos (8G black one for myself, 4G for my oldest daughter-she insisted she wanted the smaller one, my other 3 kids all have the last version of the Nano). I think it has finally been perfected for music storage, perfect size and functionality. I use it when I run, so anything bigger is not necessary, and the shuffle isn't functional enough. I put my old mini in my M3, had it hardwired so I don't ever take it out other than to update music. Battery is shot.

I have a hard time with the whole movie thing on a hand held. I just can't see (and when I mean "see", I mean that both ways) watching movies on something that small. My preference is to not watch movies on anything smaller than my laptop, so I guess it's not that big of a deal for me. Plus I web browse on my BB Curve, but admittedly it's not great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Nano is still God's gift to music. Perfectly sized, easy to control in sweaty hands, durable enough to withstand the beach.

I use my Nano on the beach and my wife uses hers for jogging. The kids use it on the bus sometimes when the Jonas Brothers are in order. I use an 80gb Classic in the 328i as it's my rolling song warehouse there. For movies, like you, I used to think that the notebook on a flight was the right move. But the instant-on functionality of the iPod Touch along with it's 5+ hour movie life means that I can make it from coast-to-coast on one charge which is ideal for a coach seat. When I fly internationally, I'm in business class with plenty of tray table room and a power supply. 14 hours to Hong Kong and the notebook is in order. But for a 3 hour flight to Florida in coach, the iTouch is a lot easier to deal with. No worrying about the seatback in front of you crunching your notebook screen, no balancing the laptop, on your belly to get a better viewing angle, stick it in your pocket when the drinks come or the person next to you needs a bathroom break.

Once you use the iTouch once on a flight for watching a movie, you realize that it's really good in that regard and you don't miss the big notebook screen. Have you ripped your DVD collection yet?

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;2279604]Yeah, the Nano is still God's gift to music. Perfectly sized, easy to control in sweaty hands, durable enough to withstand the beach.

I use my Nano on the beach and my wife uses hers for jogging. The kids use it on the bus sometimes when the Jonas Brothers are in order. I use an 80gb Classic in the 328i as it's my rolling song warehouse there. For movies, like you, I used to think that the notebook on a flight was the right move. But the instant-on functionality of the iPod Touch along with it's 5+ hour movie life means that I can make it from coast-to-coast on one charge which is ideal for a coach seat. When I fly internationally, I'm in business class with plenty of tray table room and a power supply. 14 hours to Hong Kong and the notebook is in order. But for a 3 hour flight to Florida in coach, the iTouch is a lot easier to deal with. No worrying about the seatback in front of you crunching your notebook screen, no balancing the laptop, on your belly to get a better viewing angle, stick it in your pocket when the drinks come or the person next to you needs a bathroom break.

Once you use the iTouch once on a flight for watching a movie, you realize that it's really good in that regard and you don't miss the big notebook screen. Have you ripped your DVD collection yet?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

my grandfather just rolled over in his grave :)

[QUOTE=SAR I;2279588]Yes, this is the 'how to' for ripping DVD's for the iPod Touch as well as in iTunes on a notebook for viewing that way. The only thing to keep in mind is that those Handbrake settings are optimized for the iTouch's screen size specifically; keeps the file size way down with no noticable loss of picture quality on that small screen. On a bigger notebook screen, you'll notice some slight artifacts. You can rip at a higher quality bitrate for your notebook as it has a bigger hard drive than 16gb, but using them later on the iTouch will cause you to needlessly lose capacity.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Thanks...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=person;2279685]my grandfather just rolled over in his grave :)[/QUOTE]

Why? Did he invent the Walkman?

SAR I

I'm going to have to reiterate the original statement in this thread... this was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got.

Jets Insider VIP
    I got a Nano for X-mas today and its a lemon. Thing won't charge ... wont turn on .... nothing. Just totally frozen and useless.

There is an alarming number of people on the apple.com boards right now complaining of the EXACT same thing:

[url]http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1212&start=0[/url]

Apple sent out a very bad batch of Nanos prior to the holiday season. :cool:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=pauliec;2283718]I'm going to have to reiterate the original statement in this thread... this was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got.[/QUOTE]

Have you played with Safari over wi-fi? I love the fact that I can lie in bed next to the sleeping wife and do a little surfing to make myself tired enough to fall asleep.

Once you do discover the joy of iTouch Safari, I'll teach you about something called "webapps" and how much fun you can have with them.

My friend has a Mac and wireless speakers througout his home. He uses his iTouch as a remote control to tell iTunes which songs to play and can turn on/off the speakers at will and control the volumes in any room of his house all from his couch, wirelessly from his iTouch. Webapps are fun.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;2283847]Have you played with Safari over wi-fi? I love the fact that I can lie in bed next to the sleeping wife and do a little surfing to make myself tired enough to fall asleep.

Once you do discover the joy of iTouch Safari, I'll teach you about something called "webapps" and how much fun you can have with them.

My friend has a Mac and wireless speakers througout his home. He uses his iTouch as a remote control to tell iTunes which songs to play and can turn on/off the speakers at will and control the volumes in any room of his house all from his couch, wirelessly from his iTouch. Webapps are fun.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I think the best thing about it being able to surf on a real web browser. I've been doing that all day (even made some posts on here from my iPod). It's so cool.

I was looking at webapps a little bit on the apple site, I just bookmarked a weather one, a live sports scores one, and a google maps webapp. I guess there are more advanced ones like what you're talking about?