Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard the Chicken-hearted

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard the Chicken-hearted

I've been watching with great interest over the past few months as Dinesh D'Souza has taken on the leading atheists in a series of debates, men such as Chris Hitchens, Dan Dennett, Michael Shermer, etc.

As you may or may not know, many of these intellectuals have recently written books designed to discredit the idea of GOD, much in the Neitchzean tradition, while D'Souza has written a counter thesis based not on scripture or rituals, but science and reason, much in the C.S. Lewis tradition .. in other words he decided to confront these atheists on [COLOR="Red"]"their terms"[/COLOR] and [COLOR="Red"]"their turf"[/COLOR], or so they would have you believe, but D'Souza has challenged that very assumption as well.

NOT SO FAST, D'Souza has proclaimed, science and reason are no more on your side than they are on mine, in fact he argues the contrary, if anything science and reason while not pointing towards any particular religion are to an increasing degree weighing towards the great men of science {many of the giants, and D'Souza lists them all} whom for centuries accepted the precepts of theism somewhere in this grand and "finely tuned" design we call the universe.

I've watched this battle with great interest. I watched the atheists look on in horror as D'Souza proceeded to upend Michael Shermer in a debate, shocked that their man could lose, but LOSE ROYALLY he did, as the theists unanimously declared Dinesh the big winner and many of Shermer's atheist colleagues could only express disappointment.

Ah, but Dan Dennett {privious winner of Richard Dawkins highest awards} is a different matter the atheists proclaimed, surely Dennett will put this believer in his place!

So Dinesh walked right into the heart of the lions den, the college where Professor Dennett teaches, and by invitation of student atheists who would no doubt stack the audience. In other words he willingly conceded every possible advantage to Dennett if only this leading atheist intellectual would agree to debate him. Dennett agreed to those terms and even busted out a 25 minute slide show to open his presentation, something that had not been priviously agreed upon {perhaps unethical, but I digress}. Anyhow, the result was another beat-down, another resounding defeat for our atheist friends, so awful was the carnage that by debates end a friendly {to Dennett} and hostile {to Dinesh} audience, one that started off in such a festive mood as Dennett launched his initial barbs, left the auditorium in almost stunned disbelief {pun intended}.

Once again their man had been taken to the woodshed by the most vile of all creatures, a believer :mad:, and while using only the tools of science and reason, the tools they like to fancy as their own, and on their own turf. One dejected atheist said he was bitterely disappointed, accused Dennett of coming unprepared despite Dennett's 25 minute slide show and meticulous preperation. I suppose to accept the alternative {their man got whupped fair & square} was a cross too painful to bare {pun intended}.

But alas the atheists proclaimed .. ah, but he hasn't encountered Christopher Hitchens!

Surely, one atheist proclaimed, Hitchens will wipe the floor with Dinesh D'Souza!

So it had been decided, Hitchens would ride to the rescue and vindicate our atheist friends. He was the chosen one, their great intellectual giant, their great champion who has nothing but disdain for these vile believers and will no doubt punish D'Souza without mercy .. and once again D'Souza agreed to make it easy for the atheist warrior, hold the debate in NYC where Hitchens can gain a sympathetic audience .. and then the mother of all disasters occurred for our atheist friends, Hitchens {like Shermer and Dennett before him} proceeded to get his proverbial fanny kicked. :D

The look on Hitchens face alone was worth the price of admission, fore by debates end he looked like, well, what he was .. a beaten man .. and one atheist could only respond "I don't think we should debate this guy {D'Souza} anymore"

As it turns out none of this was an accident. D'Souza, tired of watching these intellectual bullies debate garden variety pastors who are quick to turn the other cheek when insulted, who rely on scripture and therefore cannot compete with men who reject scripture as divine truth at the outset {i.e. you cannot challenge someone with the very idea they dismiss}, and thus have little to fall back on in the arena of science and reason where it automatically becomes a mismatch for the more learnered debater .. so after watching these in a sense intellectual bullies, D'Souza decided its about time these cowards are forced to fight someone their own size, a believer who is fully equipped to fight in the arena of science and reason, on their terms, or so they would have you believe, a fallacy D'Souza has clearly debunked in the face of the stiffest challenges these parasites can offer.

Ah, but there's one more .. there's one more D'Souza is eager to dismantle, even more so than Chris Hitchens whom D'Souza actually likes {on a personal level} .. but there is one atheist D'Souza particularly dislikes, perhaps the most prominent of the lot, [B]Richard Dawkins[/B] [COLOR="Red"]{Author of The GOD Delusion}[/COLOR], a particularly comtemptable individual in Dinesh's view, one who possesses a particularly high opinion of himself, even suggesting atheists should start calling themselves "brights", as in we are just brighter than these religious imbeciles.

D'Souza has made it crystal clear ...

[FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="5"]I WANT DAWKINS!![/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

First D'Souza sent Dawkins a standard invitation to debate, the terms can be discussed.

Dawkins refused .. no reason given!

Then D'Souza sent Richard Dawkins a second invitation and said surely a man of science and reason has nothing to fear from a silly little man of faith, I should be easy pickings for such a great thinker, so what's the problem, Rich?

NO RESPONSE!!

Then D'Souza sent Dawkins a third invitation, this time agreeing to allow Dawkins to set the terms .. even choose the venue, San Francisco if you wish, the most leftist campus you can find .. if you will only agree to debate me!

No doubt seeking a more formidible foe, perhaps some Alabama preacher who barely graduated High School, [COLOR="Red"]Dawkins has once again declined D'Souza's offer[/COLOR], which has led D'Souza to only one conclusion in a recent column, this particular atheist should indeed call himself by a new name, but he has one that is far more appropriate than "bright"

[B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Georgia"]RICHARD THE CHICKEN-HEARTED[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] {LOL!!} :P
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you hear about these debates? Did someone videotape? I'd love to see them. Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2285020]

How did you hear about these debates? Did someone videotape? I'd love to see them. Thanks.[/QUOTE]Lyon, you can find the Dennett and Hitchens debates at Youtube .. each is very long and comes in many parts, so it will have to be a day when you really have some time to kill

As for the Shermer debate, that one is not on Youtube but you can find it if you Google D'Souza and Shermer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why doesn't God just come down to earth and prove he exists through a burning bush or something. Its rather convenient that he found the time to do it in ancient times before TV or video...but now he is just too busy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2285045]

Why doesn't God just come down to earth and prove he exists through a burning bush or something. Its rather convenient that he found the time to do it in ancient times before TV or video...but now he is just too busy.[/QUOTE]I'll allow you to blow off some steam, Plumber .. Its been a rough couple of months for the atheists, what with having to watch their leading advocates and intellectuals get beaten to a pulp by D'Souza, and I'm sure having to endure another Christmas didn't help matters much either :)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2285048]I'll allow you to blow off some steam, Plumber .. [B]Its been a rough couple of months for the atheists[/B], what with having to watch their leading advocates and intellectuals get beaten to a pulp by D'Souza, and I'm sure having to endure another Christmas didn't help matters much either :)[/QUOTE]

I am an atheist and I find this stuff so comical. As if 2 blowhards arguing will prove or disprove anything.

How about you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want? Is that so crazy?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2285048]I'll allow you to blow off some steam, Plumber .. Its been a rough couple of months for the atheists, what with having to watch their leading advocates and intellectuals get beaten to a pulp by D'Souza, and I'm sure having to endure another Christmas didn't help matters much either :)[/QUOTE]

First off..I'm not an atheist.

Second...I have no problem with Christmas. I fail to see it as a Godly holiday though. I don't think Jesus was much into pine trees, especially when they are decorated with a star which the devil put in the sky to mark the way for Herod's men to kill him :rolleyes: (I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say Christ probably doesn't find it comforting that his "followers" wear and idolize the implement of his death, the cross.) It's a pagan holiday that my kids get a huge kick out of. Nothing more.

Third...atheists are closer to God than most "religionists". I know it sounds a** backwards, but it's true. I had a vision.

The debates [B]were[/B] interesting. I don't care much for Hitchens...he is an egotistical arrogant prick. Watching him get PWNED is priceless...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2285053]

How about you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want? Is that so crazy?[/QUOTE]No, actually I think that's what most of us want, unfortunately there is a virulent strain of militant atheism that wasn't/isn't satisfied with that arrangement, so they write books like "The GOD Delusion" and "GOD is not Great" in an effort to mock, ridicule and marginalize believers. they haul religious folks into court over any display of religion in the public arena, they are hostile and not merely ambivilent, so there is no choice but to confront it .. they are not content to simply GO ALONG and GET ALONG, these folks are itching for a fight

D'Souza makes an astute point, its not like one saying I don't believe in unicorns, therefore I'll live my life as if there are no unicorns and if others choose to believe in unicorns that's their perogotive, I'll just live my life like there are no unicorns .. but he's not out writing books like "The Unicorn Delusion"

Nope, in this case we have a militant form of atheism that is not content to get along with 85% of the population {believers} and just choose not to believe, they are instead insulting and denograting of their neighbors and that makes it difficult to just believe what we choose to believe and respect one anothers choices
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-27-2007 at 10:34 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2285045]Why doesn't God just come down to earth and prove he exists through a burning bush or something. Its rather convenient that he found the time to do it in ancient times before TV or video...but now he is just too busy.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure D'Souza is ducking you and your floor-wiping jpegs. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2285086]
    Third...atheists are closer to God than most "religionists". I know it sounds a** backwards, but it's true. [/QUOTE]
    It's not profound until you back something like this up - and with your track record, I won't hold my breath.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think most atheists care what anyone else believes. If you are one of those people that thinks a giant spagetti monster created the earth or an old man in sandals and flowing robes did instead...so be it.

What concerns most atheists is the fact that laws and policy are dictated by belief.

Keep your god out of my schools and out of my courts and I will have no reason to try and discredit what your "good book" says.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2285132]I dont think most atheists care what anyone else believes. If you are one of those people that thinks a giant spagetti monster created the earth or an old man in sandals and flowing robes did instead...so be it.

What concerns most atheists is the fact that laws and policy are dictated by belief.

Keep your god out of my schools and out of my courts and I will have no reason to try and discredit what your "good book" says.[/QUOTE]

Court and schools belong to the taxpayers pal, not you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Crusher;2285148]Court and schools belong to the taxpayers pal, not you.[/QUOTE]

As a taxpayer....i fall into that category as welll as all other atheists that pay taxes.

Sorry pal....my voice counts as much as yours..even though you probably think eve was created from a rib and the earth was created in 6 days:eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Notice there is no mention of the actual ARGUMENTS presented - just ad hominem commentary insisting that Dennett got "a beat-down".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2285025]Lyon, you can find the Dennett and Hitchens debates at Youtube .. each is very long and comes in many parts, so it will have to be a day when you really have some time to kill

As for the Shermer debate, that one is not on Youtube but you can find it if you Google D'Souza and Shermer[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Love to see them.

We should have debates on global warming as well...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2285160]As a taxpayer....i fall into that category as welll as all other atheists that pay taxes.

Sorry pal....my voice counts as much as yours..even though you probably think eve was created from a rib and the earth was created in 6 days:eek:[/QUOTE]

So I'm assuming your long distant uncle scratcher was an ape? Or like some fish that mysteriously grew legs, or from primordial sludge? Cool man. I'm tolerant of anyone.

I simply said that the schools and courts belong to the taxpayers. So whomever makes up the majority makes the rules. For me I'm happy to give my kids religion at home.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2285045]Why doesn't God just come down to earth and prove he exists through a burning bush or something. Its rather convenient that he found the time to do it in ancient times before TV or video...but now he is just too busy.[/QUOTE]

Interesting analogy Plumb....some would say he already did do that....

And by the way, most did not believe back then.

Be honest...if God showed up at your door tomorrow, saying he was God, do you honestly think you would believe?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2285180]

Notice there is no mention of the actual ARGUMENTS presented - just ad hominem commentary insisting that Dennett got "a beat-down".[/QUOTE]Anyone is free to watch the debates .. I told you where to find them .. the Dennett and Hitchens debates are both readily available on Youtube while the Shermer debate requires a google search

I encourage everyone to watch the debates, religious and atheist alike

Nothing to hide .. I strongly encourage everyone to watch them .. in fact I think they should be required viewing :yes:
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-27-2007 at 11:12 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYSE;2285132]I dont think most atheists care what anyone else believes. If you are one of those people that thinks a giant spagetti monster created the earth or an old man in sandals and flowing robes did instead...so be it.

Keep your god out of my schools and out of my courts and I will have no reason to try and discredit what your "good book" says.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.....so Lets get this straight.

Atheists believe that God should be kept out of laws and policies, so that atheists can then make the laws and policies.

And God should be kept out of school and court so the atheists can run the schools and courts...

Irony is a very funny thing, isn't it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2285086]First off..I'm not an atheist.

Second...I have no problem with Christmas. I fail to see it as a Godly holiday though. I don't think Jesus was much into pine trees, especially when they are decorated with a star which the devil put in the sky to mark the way for Herod's men to kill him :rolleyes: (I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say Christ probably doesn't find it comforting that his "followers" wear and idolize the implement of his death, the cross.) It's a pagan holiday that my kids get a huge kick out of. Nothing more.

Third...atheists are closer to God than most "religionists". I know it sounds a** backwards, but it's true. I had a vision.

The debates [B]were[/B] interesting. I don't care much for Hitchens...he is an egotistical arrogant prick. Watching him get PWNED is priceless...[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Christ wasn't actually born on December 25, but that is beside the point.

While I have never read Hitchens, I think a Psych 020 student could read him like a book. An extremely gifted, intelligent individual (way above average) who is trying to use his extreme intellect to prove that there is no intellect above the highest intelligence of man...hmmm.....Freud, Jung, what do you think?

Kidding aside, the irony is funny. The thing that is also funny is that they beat down (especially the fundamental Christian faith) when there is HUGE Christian followers that say the exact same thing....

Again, some of these extreme Atheists need to see they are bred from the same mix as extreme Theists. They also need to turn off Bennie Hinn, Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart....etc. and see what some people are really studying about God.