Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC homicide rate on pace for record low

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

NYC homicide rate on pace for record low

[URL]http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/ny.crime/index.html[/URL]

[quote]
    [SIZE=4][B]New York homicide rate on pace for record low
    [/B]
    [SIZE=2]From Karina Frayter
    CNN[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [B]
    NEW YORK (CNN)[/B] -- New York City is on course to mark the fewest homicides since records have been kept, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly announced Wednesday.

The city is expected to fall below 500 murders in 2007, the lowest level for any year since 1963, when comparable information on homicides was first collected, Bloomberg said at a news conference.

"At the end of 2002, for the first time in four decades, murders in New York City fell below 600, and we were able to hold them below 600 for the next four years," Bloomberg said. "Today, with just five days of the year remaining, it appears that we have another historic achievement within our reach."

Bloomberg said decreases in major felony crimes were recorded across every crime category and in all five boroughs in 2007, marking the seventeenth straight year in which crime has gone down.

Since 2001, overall major felony crime has decreased 26 percent citywide, according to New York Police Department statistics.
    Declines in domestic violence-related homicides and transit crime particularly stand out, Bloomberg told reporters.

Domestic violence-related murders dropped a record 36 percent this year, the mayor said. The decline coincides with an effort by NYPD that doubled visits of specially trained detectives to households where domestic violence had occurred, officials noted.

Crime in the subway system in 2007 fell 13 percent below the record low numbers recorded last year, despite subway ridership that's at an all-time high.

Officials name "Operation Impact" as the prime reason for the decline in crime. The NYPD effort focuses on problem people and places, Kelly said. It places significant numbers of uniformed officers in small areas of precincts, where crime rates are relatively high.

Given the success of Operation Impact, the NYPD will assign all of this year's Police Academy graduates to the program, Kelly said.

Officials also credited an improved police and community partnership for the overall decline in crime.

"We are not the same New York that we were in 1990, a year when more than 2,000 people were murdered," Bloomberg said. "We're also not the same city we were in 2001, when many predicted that our crime-fighting gains would soon be a point of diminishing returns."[/quote]
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-27-2007 at 08:48 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    roe v wade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2285882][URL]http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/26/ny.crime/index.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Another "statistic" that the "master manipulator" Michael Bloomberg will use to "prove" to the public what a great mayor he is.

Only the "city workers" of NYC know what a farce that really is................

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285902]Another "statistic" that the "master manipulator" Michael Bloomberg will use to "prove" to the public what a great mayor he is.

Only the "city workers" of NYC know what a farce that really is................[/QUOTE]

He runs the city like it's a business.

Very encouraging numbers and some positive news for once. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JV51;2285914]He runs the city like it's a business.

Very encouraging numbers and some positive news for once. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Except for the fact that fighting fires, teaching children, and arresting bad guys are not a "business."

"Numbers" can look different in different ways.

You dont become a BILLIONARE" by not be crooked with numbers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285902]Another "statistic" that the "master manipulator" Michael Bloomberg will use to "prove" to the public what a great mayor he is.

Only the "city workers" of NYC know what a farce that really is................[/QUOTE]

Your opinion is valid.

I worked as a cop in the 28 when they had over 100 homicides and now I am retired and they have "3".....

Bloomberg and Kelly are guilty of nothing more than not giving us(the cops in the trenches) our props when they were due....

ANd thats a SERiOUS lapse of judgement....

IMHO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285933]

You dont become a BILLIONARE" by not be crooked with numbers.[/QUOTE]

What? LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2285938]Your opinion is valid.

I worked as a cop in the 28 when they had over 100 homicides and now I am retired and they have "3".....

Bloomberg and Kelly are guilty of nothing more than not giving us(the cops in the trenches) our props when they were due....

ANd thats a SERiOUS lapse of judgement....

IMHO[/QUOTE]

This "great" mayor starts police officers out at $25, 000 a year???!!!!!

No respect...........

What a great "business-man!!!".............

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285947]This "great" mayor starts police officers out at $25, 000 a year???!!!!!

No respect...........

What a great "business-man!!!".............[/QUOTE]

People always, always, always cite the low STARTING pay of public workers without including the benefits, pensions and vacation time. It's intellectually dishonest.

Total compensation matters, not first year base salary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2285882]NYC homicide rate on pace for record low [/QUOTE]

That's because all of the ****ing criminals moved to ****ing S Florida.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285933]Except for the fact that fighting fires, teaching children, and arresting bad guys are not a "business."

"Numbers" can look different in different ways.

You dont become a BILLIONARE" by not be crooked with numbers.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about a man who inherited a city with horrible financials, partly due to 9/11, but also due to a massive debt passed on by the previous administration.

Regarding the cops specifically, they were working without a contract since 2000 and the police union felt that the Guiliani administration wasn't negotiating in good faith. The police union were the ones who pushed for binding arbitration, not the city.

As far as his personal wealth, he made it by being a visionary and selling financial services to the Street. He didn't make it by bilking the common man our of his meager paycheck - or by taking six figure fees for making speeches that nobody would've wanted to hear if not for being in office during the worst terrorist attack in US history.

I'm not the president of his fan club or anything, but I think you're unfairly demonizing him here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2285951]People always, always, always cite the low STARTING pay of public workers without including the benefits, pensions and vacation time. It's intellectually dishonest.

Total compensation matters, not first year base salary.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why the transit strike was crap. Bus drivers make $65k/year and don't contribute a cent to their health insurance premiums. I have a difficult time feeling sorry for their "plight".

Benefits, pensions, and early retirement were the balance between the lower pay for municipal workers and private sector salaries. Now that, in many cases, public sector salaries have caught up to those in the private sector (see: Nassau/Suffolk cops), the benefits needn't be the "sweeteners" that they were in years past. The rising cost of healthcare shouldn't be passed onto the taxpayers when they themselves are feeling the crunch with increased contributions and lesser service.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2285951]People always, always, always cite the low STARTING pay of public workers without including the benefits, pensions and vacation time. It's intellectually dishonest.

Total compensation matters, not first year base salary.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, citizens that put there lives on the line to protect or teach others shouldnt be rewarded with a pension, benefeits, or vacations...........:rolleyes:

I am not a fan of Bloomberg and the way he treats his workers. Back to the Jets before I offend anyone.................
    Last edited by copernicus; 12-27-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285985]Yeah, citizens that put there lives on the line to protect or teach others shouldnt be rewarded with a pension, benefeits, or vacations...........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Did I. Friggin. Say. That.

Don't put words in my mouth. Respond to what I ACTUALLY said.

EDIT: Treats his workers? How so?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2285988]Did I. Friggin. Say. That.

Don't put words in my mouth. Respond to what I ACTUALLY said.[/QUOTE]

My bad BB

Didnt mean to................

I am out of this discussion............................:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285985]Yeah, citizens that put there lives on the line to protect or teach others shouldnt be rewarded with a pension, benefeits, or vacations...........:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That was not the point - pensions, benefits, and vacation time have dollar values associated with them, which is something conveniently ignored when only citing the starting salary of the position.

Figure out what the total compensation is over that individuals entire life (with pension) and compare it to the average private sector employee, whose compensation ends at retirement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285985]Yeah, citizens that put there lives on the line to protect or teach others shouldnt be rewarded with a pension, benefeits, or vacations...........:rolleyes:

I am not a fan of Bloomberg and the way he treats his workers. Back to the Jets before I offend anyone.................[/QUOTE]

People make choices. Grow up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285989]I am out of this discussion............................:yes:[/QUOTE]

...without refuting that the salary situation for the NYPD is the direct result of their union pushing for binding arbitration.

It's easy to be contrarian and spout off about corrupt politicians, but argument should be based on facts, not conjecture.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2285989]My bad BB

Didnt mean to................

I am out of this discussion............................:yes:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I snapped at you. I just think public workers' total compensation packages are underrated. Long-term, they do ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2285997]Sorry, I snapped at you. I just think public workers' total compensation packages are underrated. Long-term, they do ok.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I just got on a roll here myself.

No disrespect to anyone...........