Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leyritz arrested DUI, Vehicular Homicide (Alcohol Legallity Debate)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Leyritz arrested DUI, Vehicular Homicide (Alcohol Legallity Debate)

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3171228[/url]

Former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz has been arrested in Broward County, Fla. on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular homicide, WPLG-TV in Miami reported Friday.

The station reported that according to Fort Lauderdale police, a car driven by Leyritz, who lives in Plantation, Fla., hit another car at Southwest 7th Avenue and Second Street early Friday morning.

According to the report, the passenger in the car that Leyritz allegedly struck was ejected from the car and died at the scene, police said.

Leyritz, whose 44th birthday was Thursday, refused a Breathalyzer test, police said, according to the report.

The station reported that according to police records, Leyritz was booked at 4:30 a.m. and ordered held on $11,000 bond.

Leyritz is most remembered for his Game 4 heroics in the 1996 World Series while a member of the New York Yankees.

With the Yankees trailing the Atlanta Braves 2-1 in the series, Leyritz hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to tie Game 4 at Atlanta. The Yankees won the game and the series, starting a run of a four championships in five seasons.

Leyritz, played 11 seasons in the major leagues for six teams including the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers. He was a career .264 hitter with 90 home runs and 387 RBIs in 903 career games, primarily as a catcher and infielder.

:(

I always liked Jimmy Leyritz. I hope it's not true, but if it is, he deserves some serious jail time.

Jets Insider VIP
    This makes me furious. I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and my wife works nights so she is on the road in the early morning.

Now, someones child, brother, sister etc is gone. I hope they throw the book at Leyritz.

Veteran
    I really dont understand why people still drive drunk, especially adults who should know better. I really dont care if he killed himself but its pretty scary to think that one day/night you are out driving with your family and some drunk crashes into you and its over. This actually happened to me last thanksgiving, my wife and I were stopped at a stop sign and the guy behind us failed to see the stop sign and crashed into the back of us, the trunk ended up in the back seat after the impact. we were ok but I think every day how lucky we were that my daughter wasnt in the backseat at the time.

Veteran
    [b][size="5"]dui's[/size][/b]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=pauliec;2286573]:(

I hope it's not true[/QUOTE]

I would never wish this on anyone but im sure its true. He nailed the car in the middle of the night in the heart of Fort Lauderdale's Himmarshee Street bar district.

All Pro
    The only way to try and prevent this is mandatory jail time for first offenses. Plus with technology advancing as quickly as it is there should be some kind of sensor in every car.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;2286610]I would never wish this on anyone but im sure its true. He nailed the car in the middle of the night in the heart of Fort Lauderdale's Himmarshee Street bar district.[/QUOTE]

And refused to take a breathalyzer.

After my Hockey games our team would go to the Ale House in Pembroke Pines Florida and during the off season Jim Leyritz would be in there closing the place down with his wife. Very nice people. They and their guests would spend most of the night with us.

Nothing to do with this incident but he was always nice and had a great time at the bar. It is unfortunate that he did not have a DH to act as a driver as he seemed to back in the Ale house days which were around 1996-98.

If I can manage to pay for a cab to drive me home when I've been drinking, then Jim Leyritz can certainly afford to... while all drunken driving is stupid, I will never understand why millionaires who are in the public eye would be so careless.

What a shame :mad:

Hall Of Fame
    Damn.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CaliJetsFan;2286593]I really dont understand why people still drive drunk, especially adults who should know better. [/QUOTE]

I do. Because people are ignorant.

I lost a grandmother and uncle to a**hole drunk drivers.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2286613]The only way to try and prevent this is mandatory jail time for first offenses. Plus with technology advancing as quickly as it is there should be some kind of sensor in every car.[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="6"]NO[/SIZE][/B] the only way to prevent this from happening is make alcohol illegal just like marijuana, cocaine, crack,...etc... alcohol is responsible for more deaths than any of those drugs combine. I'm sorry but to me it's the only way you can slow down DUI's

watch this video

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews"]http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews[/URL]

[QUOTE=J.E.T.Sfan4life;2286689][B][SIZE="6"]NO[/SIZE][/B] the only way to prevent this from happening is make alcohol illegal just like marijuana, cocaine, crack,...etc... alcohol is responsible for more deaths than any of those drugs combine. I'm sorry but to me it's the only way you can slow down DUI's

watch this video

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews"]http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews[/URL][/QUOTE]

AH yes lets cleanse the world of everything "immoral" so we can all be some sort of robot. Please, as responsible adults which is 99.9% of most people, we can police ourselves, I do not need someone else determining what is right and wrong for me. If an adult actually requires that need, that is what we have prisons for!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=J.E.T.Sfan4life;2286689][B][SIZE="6"]NO[/SIZE][/B] the only way to prevent this from happening is make alcohol illegal just like marijuana, cocaine, crack,...etc... alcohol is responsible for more deaths than any of those drugs combine. I'm sorry but to me it's the only way you can slow down DUI's

watch this video

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews"]http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2007/12/28/13th.dui.arrest.wews[/URL][/QUOTE]
    Is that you, Rutherford B. Hayes?

[QUOTE=J.E.T.Sfan4life;2286689][B][SIZE="6"]NO[/SIZE][/B] the only way to prevent this from happening is make alcohol illegal just like marijuana, cocaine, crack,...etc... alcohol is responsible for more deaths than any of those drugs combine. I'm sorry but to me it's the only way you can slow down DUI's[/QUOTE]

You will take my Single Malt Scotch when you pry it from my cold dead hand.

And if technology keeps advancing, perhaps not even then! :D

some people are going to do stupid things. people get drunk and they think nothing will happen to them and i've done it before. I have to admit i have driven many times drunk and I know i am lucky. but it only takes 1 time

All Pro

watch this video

yup cause that worked real well the first time :rolleyes:

Veteran
    OK seeing that u're against my suggestion why don't we legalize marijuana, crack, and the whole lot. Usually people who oppose things are those folks who have never been in situations where the problem affects them directly or could not see the benefits in such a calling. Now with that been said, the only people really who are against making alcohol illegal are those people who sell (make a leaving off it) and the ones who get all kind of tax incentives from it.