Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else outraged by this?...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Anyone else outraged by this?...

[url]http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TSM00O2&show_article=1[/url]

Woman Who Tried to Kill Ford Freed

Dec 31 04:30 PM US/Eastern
    By PAUL ELIAS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Sara Jane Moore, who took a shot at President Ford in a 1975 assassination attempt, was released from prison Monday. Moore, 77, had served about 30 years of a life sentence when she was released from the federal prison in Dublin, east of San Francisco, the Federal Bureau of Prisons said.
    She was 40 feet away from Ford outside a hotel in San Francisco when she fired a shot at him on Sept. 22, 1975. As she raised her .38- caliber revolver and pulled the trigger, Oliver Sipple, a disabled former Marine standing next to her, pushed up her arm. The bullet flew over Ford's head by several feet.

In recent interviews, Moore said she regretted her actions, saying she was blinded by her radical political views.

"I am very glad I did not succeed. I know now that I was wrong to try," Moore said a year ago in an interview with KGO-TV.

Just 17 days before Moore's attempt, Ford survived an attempt on his life in Sacramento by Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson.

Moore said that she was convinced at the time that the government had declared war on the left.

"I was functioning, I think, purely on adrenaline and not thinking clearly. I have often said that I had put blinders on and I was only listening to what I wanted to hear," she told KGO.

Moore's confusing background—which included five failed marriages, name changes and involvement with political groups like the Symbionese Liberation Army—baffled the public and even her own defense attorney during her trial.

"I never got a satisfactory answer from her as to why she did it," said retired federal public defender James F. Hewitt. "There was just bizarre stuff, and she would never tell anyone anything about her background."

Ford insisted the two attempts on his life shouldn't prevent him from having contact with the American people.

"If we can't have the opportunity of talking with one another, seeing one another, shaking hands with one another, something has gone wrong in our society. I think it's important that we as a people don't capitulate to the wrong element," he said.

Ford died just over a year ago.

...Try to kill an American President get out in 30 years, nice message in these times.

Outraged? I am not outraged, she has done 30 years in prison and is 77 years old. You want to keep paying for her until she is dead? What risk is an elderly woman in the public?

[QUOTE=cr726;2294514]Outraged? I am not outraged, she has done 30 years in prison and is 77 years old. You want to keep paying for her until she is dead? What risk is an elderly woman in the public?[/QUOTE]

Is "risk to the public" the reason we have Prisons?

Or is it "punishment for your deeds"?

[QUOTE=cr726;2294514]Outraged? I am not outraged, she has done 30 years in prison and is 77 years old. You want to keep paying for her until she is dead? What risk is an elderly woman in the public?[/QUOTE]

Gotta set harsh precedents when you try to kill Presidents.

[QUOTE=jetswin;2294195][url]http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TSM00O2&show_article=1[/url]

Woman Who Tried to Kill Ford Freed

Dec 31 04:30 PM US/Eastern
    By PAUL ELIAS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Sara Jane Moore, who took a shot at President Ford in a 1975 assassination attempt, was released from prison Monday. Moore, 77, had served about 30 years of a life sentence when she was released from the federal prison in Dublin, east of San Francisco, the Federal Bureau of Prisons said.
    She was 40 feet away from Ford outside a hotel in San Francisco when she fired a shot at him on Sept. 22, 1975. As she raised her .38- caliber revolver and pulled the trigger, Oliver Sipple, a disabled former Marine standing next to her, pushed up her arm. The bullet flew over Ford's head by several feet.

In recent interviews, Moore said she regretted her actions, saying she was blinded by her radical political views.

"I am very glad I did not succeed. I know now that I was wrong to try," Moore said a year ago in an interview with KGO-TV.

Just 17 days before Moore's attempt, Ford survived an attempt on his life in Sacramento by Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson.

Moore said that she was convinced at the time that the government had declared war on the left.

"I was functioning, I think, purely on adrenaline and not thinking clearly. I have often said that I had put blinders on and I was only listening to what I wanted to hear," she told KGO.

Moore's confusing background—which included five failed marriages, name changes and involvement with political groups like the Symbionese Liberation Army—baffled the public and even her own defense attorney during her trial.

"I never got a satisfactory answer from her as to why she did it," said retired federal public defender James F. Hewitt. "There was just bizarre stuff, and she would never tell anyone anything about her background."

Ford insisted the two attempts on his life shouldn't prevent him from having contact with the American people.

"If we can't have the opportunity of talking with one another, seeing one another, shaking hands with one another, something has gone wrong in our society. I think it's important that we as a people don't capitulate to the wrong element," he said.

Ford died just over a year ago.

...Try to kill an American President get out in 30 years, nice message in these times.[/QUOTE]

I can't muster outrage over the release of a 77 year old after 30 years, but I do disagree with it. Seems life without possibility of parole ought to be the punishment for trying to kill a president.

4 more years they can let Charlie manson out!! :boogie2:

Charles Manson is on the same level as this lady?

[QUOTE=BronxDan;2294863]4 more years they can let Charlie manson out!! :boogie2:[/QUOTE]

To punish and rehabilitate is the reason we have prisons.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2294702]Is "risk to the public" the reason we have Prisons?

Or is it "punishment for your deeds"?[/QUOTE]

flushingjet
    in these days of bush assassination chic,
    its only libtards who are outraged that presidential
    assassins, successful or not are behind bars

after all they did their best to keep hinckley out of jail
    and guns out of americans hands after reagan got plugged

You get stranger by the day.

[QUOTE=flushingjet;2295487]in these days of bush assassination chic,
    its only libtards who are outraged that presidential
    assassins, successful or not are behind bars

after all they did their best to keep hinckley out of jail
    and guns out of americans hands after reagan got plugged[/QUOTE]

flushingjet
    [quote=cr726;2295515]You get stranger by the day.[/quote]

and as always, you are a paragon of decency and wisdom

*roll of eyes*

sorry kid, it's not my freakin' problem if you have no morals or sense of justice

what part of "[I]its only libtards who are outraged that presidential
    assassins...are behind bars" [/I]confounds you
    Last edited by flushingjet; 01-02-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Veteran
    If she was pardoned, then I would be outraged. If that was her sentence, then that is her sentence. She was apparently given the possibility of parole and got it after 30 years. I don't pretend that her being an old woman, regretful of her actions, and no threat considering Ford is dead doesn't make it a little more acceptable to me.

But yeah, if you try to kill the President, you should be in jail for the rest of your life. Killing or trying to kill a president seems to me to be the worst crime you can commit against the country, am I wrong? If she had killed him, I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about this right now. She's lucky she didn't succeed.

You are a strange old babbling fool. The only Justice you understand is the Justice made up one in your wierd head. You once again show your outrageously dumb side over and over and you have the nerve to tell others what is wrong with them.

[QUOTE=flushingjet;2295697]and as always, you are a paragon of decency and wisdom

*roll of eyes*

sorry kid, it's not my freakin' problem if you have no morals or sense of justice

what part of "[I]its only libtards who are outraged that presidential
    assassins...are behind bars" [/I]confounds you[/QUOTE]

flushingjet
    [quote=cr726;2295710]You are a strange old babbling fool. The only Justice you understand is the Justice made up one in your wierd head. You once again show your outrageously dumb side over and over and you have the nerve to tell others what is wrong with them.[/quote]

and you? a runny, suppurating douchenozzle, constantly defending the indefensible while never adding a jot of intelligence of any sort to any
    conversation other than some haughty, moronic dismissal

i delight in telling the idiotic, immoral, stupid as well as the merely factually incorrect naturally including yourself how wrong they are ...consider it a public service, an education you failed to get elsewhere

in your deviant world, assassins might deserve redemption and the benefit of the doubt

but normally they dont

Step off your soapbox and take a good look into the mirror before you start judging people you don't know.

Deserving redemption? She served a sentence and was released. I didn't create the sentence, but to be outraged is just plain stupid.
    Sad.

[QUOTE=flushingjet;2295732]and you? a runny, suppurating douchenozzle, constantly defending the indefensible while never adding a jot of intelligence of any sort to any
    conversation other than some haughty, moronic dismissal

i delight in telling the idiotic, immoral, stupid as well as the merely factually incorrect naturally including yourself how wrong they are ...consider it a public service, an education you failed to get elsewhere

in your deviant world, assassins might deserve redemption and the benefit of the doubt

but normally they dont[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    She was eligible for parole. End of f*cking story. Don't like it? Get a job on a parole board.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Interesting how the opinions in this thread are divided...

[QUOTE]Moore said that she was convinced at the time that the government had declared war on the left.

"I was functioning, I think, purely on adrenaline and not thinking clearly. I have often said that I had put blinders on and I was only listening to what I wanted to hear," she told KGO. [/QUOTE]

...kinda ironic

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2294702]Is "risk to the public" the reason we have Prisons?

Or is it "punishment for your deeds"?[/QUOTE]

Besides can't be that expensive to lock up a 77 year old woman. Just chain her walker to a pole.

flushingjet
    [quote=cr726;2295738]Step off your soapbox and take a good look into the mirror before you start judging people you don't know.

Deserving redemption? She served a sentence and was released. I didn't create the sentence, but to be outraged is just plain stupid.
    Sad.[/quote]

i couldnt possibly care less about or wish to know smug, obnoxious, anti-Americans such as yourself

your "body of work" here, which amounts less than the smallest recordable subatomic particle in breadth and depth clinches that

myself im above reproach-never committed a crime, and never intend to
    and, unlike yourself, i dont support terrorists in or out of jail either

by arguing on criminals' behalf, you serve justice and america well... bravo

gitmo isnt empty yet and mumia is still behind bars...your work is cut out for you.... i bet theres a whole buncha old concentration camp guards itching to bust out too

its up to Gd to judge and man to punish
    dont want to do the time, dont risk doing the crime

Sara Jane Moore should have died in prison.

January 15, 1976 in History
    Event:
    Sara Jane Moore sentenced to life for attempting to shoot President Ford

Also to add insult to injury.........
    After being sentenced, the divorced mother of four expressed mixed emotions about the assassination attempt.

"Am I sorry I tried?" she asked. "Yes and no. Yes, because it accomplished little except to throw away the rest of my life. ... "And no, I'm not sorry I tried, because at the time it seemed a correct expression of my anger."