Thread: OT: New Homeowner Products

All Pro

OT: New Homeowner Products

OK, I am trying to get a bunch of ideas here. If anyone has any ideas on the following, please let me know.

I have access to new homeowner lists and work for a Heating Oil company. I market to new homeowners on a daily basis for heating oil, but I am looking for another product/idea to market to these new homeowners since these lists are so valuable (just trying to find another way to make some $$$ on the side). Some of the ideas I have thought of are as follows:

- Paint Broker (market a painting business to these new homeowners as most paint before they move in)
    - Partnering with a carpet cleaning company
    - Partner with a contractor, roofer, siding, blinds company, floor refinisher etc
    - Become a distributor of Stanley Products, products people use for their home

Like I said, if anyone has an idea of a product(s) or service(s) I could become a distributor for that could be easily marketed to new homeowners (via direct mail, not a demonstration), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How about something to do with STAGING the homes that are for sale.

All Pro
    Yeah, I actually deal with them after they just bought the house and moved in.

Another idea is selling security products or parterning with an alarm company.

Basically, what would be a product that you would ALWAYS need in your NEW home - stuff that could be re-sold (not the stuff that somebody would go to Home Depot to buy, i.e. smoke detectors, new front door).

I know, it is tough to think of anything, I've been trying to come up with something for awhile now.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    The company you work for lets you solicit other products to this list?

Assuming your list is within a certain geographic area, I'd put together a "free new homeowner pamphlet" with a bunch of PAID ads from all kinds of local businesses..

Hall Of Fame
    Bro, you can make more money just doing burner jobs on the side.

You would be better off following around a plumbing company and offering service contracts to the new owners.

How much do you know about radiant heat? Can you do any service on pump injection systems? I worked in a sh*tload of houses down by you and installed a lot of entire-home radiant heat systems. Those things can get air bound alot. Most homeowners and 95% of servicemen wouldn't know where to start to bleed some of those systems out.

One house I worked in, in Hyde Park, had 5,500 sq. feet of in-floor radiant heat, 6 zones of hydro-air, 6 zones of a/c, a manifold pool heater, 75 gallon sidearm water heater, driveway melt system and roof melt system. I had to write a 75 page operating manual for the homeowner! All the boiler equipment fills up 40 feet of one of his basement walls.

Most new owners neglect their heating systems because they are new and figure nothing needs to be done on them. I realize it would be a little messed up to use your current job as a stepping stone for contract for your own business...but you definitely wouldn't be the first guy to do it. It's dog-eat-dog out there.

Just follow the RC Harris trucks around in Poughkeepsie. Your bound to get a ton of work cleaning up after those guys!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Assuming your list is within a certain geographic area, I'd put together a "free new homeowner pamphlet" with a bunch of PAID ads from all kinds of local businesses..
    I think that idea has already been thought of...

Welcome Wagon...Welcome Mat....Newcomers Club...etc.

Banned
    sell the leads when your done with them