Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Huckabee supporters (mainly about religion in politics)

Question for Huckabee supporters (mainly about religion in politics)

It just seems to me that the people who support Huckabee are mainly people who are evangelical Christians and support him mainly because he is of the same religion that they are.

This begs the question: do some people believe that this is the United States of Jesus Christ? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having free elections if some people will just vote for a candidate based on his religious convictions.?

My belief is that people need to put aside their religious beliefs when voting for a candidate and vote strictly on the issues.

Well, you're wrong.

I'm not an evangelical Christian and Huckabee's religion is not why I support him.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2301661]Well, you're wrong.

I'm not an evangelical Christian and Huckabee's religion is not why I support him.[/QUOTE]

I wrote mainly so I didn't make a generalization, I am referring to the people who blindly support him due to his religion.

I don't know what you mean by "the United States of Jesus Christ."

And I do agree with you, voters should put aside their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) when voting for candidates: many people don't want to vote for Romney because he's a Mormon, Huckabee has a stigma on him because he was a Baptist minister, and Kennedy was demonized 40 years ago because he was a Catholic.

See, it goes both ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Free elections means people can and do vote for whatever reason they want to vote. That's kind of the entire point. You may think voting for a guy because of his religion is stupid and you are free to do so. But other people don't think its stupid and luckily for everyone, neither you, me or any Huckabee supporter is the arbiter of what does and does not constitute a valid reason to vote for any candidate. Further, religious values do not exist in a vaccuum. It is reasonable to assume that if some candidate is the same religion as you and is a devout, practicing member, that perhaps there is a greater likelihood that such a person shares a broad base of values with you. Voting based upon whether or not you think a candidate shares your values is perhaps not as short-sighted as you may think, as these values likely inform a candidate's stance on the "issues" which you think are of paramount importance. I mean, gay marriage, abortion, the death penalty - these are all "issues" and one's devotion to evangelical christianity is a fairly reliable indicator of how a person may stand on these issues, so the things are not as separate and distinct as you imply.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2301665]I wrote mainly so I didn't make a generalization, I am referring to the people who blindly support him due to his religion.[/QUOTE]

You mean like people who blindly supprot Obama because he is Black?

Or Hillary because she is a Women?

Or Edwards because he is a metrosexual communist?

People vote for what they beleive in, and that is usually their OWN views. Someone of a similar (Or the same) faith is obviosuly most likely to share a viewpoint on a variety of issues with a voter of that faith.

Whats hypocritical is pretending it's only "evangelicals" who feel this way. All people do, whether they admit to as much, or not.

And to put this into perspective, I am ussually the LAST person to defend Religion and the religious. But their freedom to choose who they want is no less important than your or mine.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2301645]It just seems to me that the people who support Huckabee are mainly people who are evangelical Christians and support him mainly because he is of the same religion that they are.

This begs the question: do some people believe that this is the United States of Jesus Christ? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having free elections if some people will just vote for a candidate based on his religious convictions.?

My belief is that people need to put aside their religious beliefs when voting for a candidate and vote strictly on the issues.[/QUOTE]

This is where the confusion starts ............... I don;t think many people I know blindly like Huckabee. It's not so m uch a matter of religion as it is a matter of world view.

Here's some of the things we like about Mike:
    1) anti-abortion
    2) anti-welfare
    3) pro small business and opportunity
    4) pro traditional family values
    5) he certainly seems humble and straightforward
    6) he has a social conscience that is reflected in programs that aim to have the less fortunate - but through education and having them work to help themselves.
    7) border security (I heard him on an interview today and can explain his position if someone questions this. Huckabees plan is to have it up within 18 months nad built "by Americans with American materials"
    8) the instances when he "raised taxes" were often for things like road projects. Rather than create debt, a small tax was voted on and approved. That money in turn paid for new infrastructure and schools without leaving any debt for the next generation.
    9) balanced the budget eacvh of his 10 years as Governor.
    10)wants to eliminate the IRS and incorporate the fair tax.

With the exception of #10, the first 9 points are not religious, however they reflect the wisdom that the Bible teaches. Because he values what we value, we like the way he thinks - his vision of what matters most.

\

With the exception of #10, the first 9 points are not religious, however they reflect the wisdom that the Bible teaches. Because he values what we value, we like the way he thinks - his vision of what matters most.[/QUOTE]

The Bible is anti welfare- That is utterly ridiculous!

[QUOTE=glennobr;2301777]\

With the exception of #10, the first 9 points are not religious, however they reflect the wisdom that the Bible teaches. Because he values what we value, we like the way he thinks - his vision of what matters most.[/QUOTE]

The Bible is anti welfare- That is utterly ridiculous![/QUOTE]

The Bible is antiwelfare (for a healthy man.) It says if a man does not work, let him not eat.

Of course, if someone is incapicitated and can not work, the Bible (and any other moral guide) teaches to help the person and get them back on their feet.

What the Bible does not teach is to give money to able bodied workers to sit home and do nothing so that generational welfare is created - like what used to be common place in our country.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2301665]I wrote mainly so I didn't make a generalization, I am referring to the people who blindly support him due to his religion.[/QUOTE]

United States of Jesus Christ? Maybe if Romney won Iowa, you'd be posting about whether it's appropriate for a Mormon [I](insert anti-Mormon soundbite here)[/I] to be President.

Huckabee uses the Baptist Minister thing like he walks on water, but to tell you the truth he is a lying piece of crap.He let out more Arkansas prisoners then all the states around him combined. He spposedly pulled the attack add on Romney put it is still being played in some markets. He is a modern day Judas with a guitar!

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll be upfront and say the main reason I support Huckabee is because he is an evangelical Christian. I know there are now other good reasons he should be President but to me that was the most important foundational thing from the get-go. Of course he also walks the walk and doesn't use who he is as some front so that's extremely important. He is our only hope to keep this country alive. The others are a pure joke who have not a clue of who the real God of the bible is.

This once great country has walked so far away from God in so many ways it's unthinkable. Up into probably the late 60's kids would have to read scripture from the bible after the pledge of allegiance in the classroom. Didn't matter if you were Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, or whatever.

You took God out of your schools and among teachers screwing their students every week (and these are just the ones getting caught) you have brute beasts murdering each other with guns all throughout the school year. This is the fruits of ignoring God. Keep it up as there is more and worse to come in even heavier doses so don't be shocked. God is not mocked people. Wake up!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2301645]It just seems to me that the people who support Huckabee are mainly people who are evangelical Christians and support him mainly because he is of the same religion that they are.

My belief is that people need to put aside their religious beliefs when voting for a candidate and vote strictly on the issues.[/QUOTE]

Keep up your bashing of Christianity. You are a broken record. You are using the Democratic talking points well. Scare everyone that "an evangelical" may take the White House. My God, the horror! Right out of the DNC "talking points".

Yet you are also up in arms about CBTNY calling Obama by his middle name, Hussein. And you assume that embryonic stem cell research is "life saving" without adequate research findings to support your claims.

You are free to vote however you see fit, but your posts on this board show your hypocrisy. Carry on.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2303093]Scare everyone that "an evangelical" may take the White House. My God, the horror![/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf7DpnnNck[/url]

Makes magic underwear seem pretty normal...
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-06-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [COLOR="red"]Just remember this even if you forget everything else:[/COLOR]
    [SIZE="4"]
    [B]Galations 6:7[/B] [FONT="Georgia"]Be not deceived; God is not mocked.[/FONT][/SIZE]

All Pro
    For many people their faith dictactes their stance on certain issues such as abortion, stem cell research and gay rights and if they have that in common with Huckabee and want to vote for him because of that then that is their choice. In fact, it is what makes this country great. People of faith believe that a man that shares their faith will make decisions that they would agree with and for the right reasons, because they are the morally correct decisions.

I am not one of those people but certainly can understand where they are coming from and do not begrudge them that opportunity.

Jets Insider VIP
    FYI, that video isn't true biblical Christianity. What you have there are wacked out people who obviously don't grasp the bible (almost cult-like). This isn't anything what Huckabee is. He is a non-denomination Christian, the bible. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Anything other than that you are doomed my friend.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2301645]This begs the question: do some people believe that this is the United States of Jesus Christ? [/QUOTE]

Probably a few, but most true evangelical Christians don't want a theocracy any more than you do.

[QUOTE]
    Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having free elections if some people will just vote for a candidate based on his religious convictions?[/QUOTE]

Not at all...much better than in a Muslim country where only muslims can run for office. Also, voting your religious convictions is better than voting for someone b/c of how they look or whether they made the fewest number of faux pas during the campaign!
    [QUOTE]

Only religious hypocrites do that (Pat Robertson). True believers of any religion will vote based on their beliefs.

If 60% of voters were true Evangelical Christians (or any other religion) would a candidate of a different faith have a chance? Doubtful!

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2303093][B]Keep up your bashing of Christianity[/B]. You are a broken record. You are using the Democratic talking points well. Scare everyone that "an evangelical" may take the White House. My God, the horror! Right out of the DNC "talking points".

Yet you are also up in arms about CBTNY calling Obama by his middle name, Hussein. And you assume that embryonic stem cell research is "life saving" without adequate research findings to support your claims.

You are free to vote however you see fit, but your posts on this board show your hypocrisy. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

That is INCREDIBLY untrue, just because I don't understand why people would base their POLITICAL vote on RELIGION doesn't make me a Christianity basher. I understand that there are people who believe differently then me and I am fine with that.

The point of my post was directed at people like SackDance99 who started his post by pretty much saying that he is voting for him because he is an evangelical Christian, and that Sackdance99 doesn't even know about many of his policies.

War,

Your transparent attempts to be provocative are merely that, and ineffective. At some point you will have to pull out of your tailspin, or you may not recover.

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2301688]Free elections means people can and do vote for whatever reason they want to vote. That's kind of the entire point. You may think voting for a guy because of his religion is stupid and you are free to do so. But other people don't think its stupid and luckily for everyone, neither you, me or any Huckabee supporter is the arbiter of what does and does not constitute a valid reason to vote for any candidate. Further, religious values do not exist in a vaccuum. It is reasonable to assume that if some candidate is the same religion as you and is a devout, practicing member, that perhaps there is a greater likelihood that such a person shares a broad base of values with you. Voting based upon whether or not you think a candidate shares your values is perhaps not as short-sighted as you may think, as these values likely inform a candidate's stance on the "issues" which you think are of paramount importance. I mean, gay marriage, abortion, the death penalty - these are all "issues" and one's devotion to evangelical christianity is a fairly reliable indicator of how a person may stand on these issues, so the things are not as separate and distinct as you imply.[/QUOTE]

You may be surprised to hear I actually agree with that. It should not be surprising that voters take issues of this sort into account, or more accurately they have every right to, and we should not object in principle when they do. It is the specific issues that are the better basis for discussion.