Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Issues, The Issues That Affect YOU Directly?

Personal Issues, The Issues That Affect YOU Directly?

I'm curious. We throw around ALOT of issue-talk in here, promote our positions vociferiously, and debate each other very aggressively.

But so often it comes accross to me as if we're discussing theory only, issues that effect OTHER People, and we're just observers.

So I am interested, what are the biggest issues today that effect you personally, how do they effect you, and what is your position on them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Taxes.

I don't want to hand over money to the government if it is going to send it to the Iraqi Idiot Central Government. F*ck those a**holes.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.

All League
    Health care - I am a pharmaceutical rep and I'd like to keep my job.

Banned
    Education.

My wife is a school teacher. If a candidate can improve things for [U]teachers[/U] (not corrupt administrators or unions) that would improve my wife's life greatly, which in turn would improve my own. She comes home pissed off way too often.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2303464]Health care - I am a pharmaceutical rep and I'd like to keep my job.[/QUOTE]

lol...I don't think you have anythimg to worry about.

Last week during the friday nightly news I counted what all the commercials were about.

13 total commercials

9 drug commercials

1 electric shaver commercial

2 car commercials

and 1 insurance commercial

Abortion--killing unborn babies is an unconscionable crime

Gay rights--unnatural and a close 2nd to the above

Taxes--our unfair system of taxing me while some don't pay any

[QUOTE=asuusa;2303710]Abortion--killing unborn babies is an unconscionable crime

Gay rights--unnatural and a close 2nd to the above[/QUOTE]

How do these affect you personally? Are you gay? Or are you planning an Abortion? Or do you just disagree in theory, but have no personal involvement?

All League
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2303710]Abortion--killing unborn babies is an unconscionable crime

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you got the point of the thread.

Banned
    Taxes

the U.S economy and global economic policy. I work on Wall Street and I'm a home owner so both affect me personally.

Seeing my friends come home from Iraq.

And I'm looking for someone who doesn't want to expand the Government. The less Government the better.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2303710]Gay rights--unnatural and a close 2nd to the above[/QUOTE]

If you ban gay rights then HGTV will lose half their staff. Housewifes of America wouldn't have much to watch about home decorating then. Home Depot sales will slump.

It would be bad for the economy.

[SIZE="5"][B]Testify![/B][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/images2/EF/freddiemercury.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2303894]If you ban gay rights then HGTV will lose half their staff. Housewifes of America wouldn't have much to watch about home decorating then. Home Depot sales will slump.

It would be bad for the economy.

[SIZE="5"][B]Testify![/B][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/images2/EF/freddiemercury.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Homosexuals are evil and have cooties...they haven't done anything good for society.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Government inefficiency, deficit, social security, environmental, societal..

Basically, I feel like our "live for today" generation is going to leave a country and planet that is in worse shape for our children. that keeps me up at night sometimes. Everything I do as a parent is to better my kids lot in life, everything we do as a country seems to be putting the future in more and more peril

Taxes--our unfair system of taxing me while some don't pay any[/QUOTE]

LOL I can kinda understand you saying abortion relates to you, but how can gay marriage relate to you. This is a big part of the arguement I use for it, how does prohibiting certain people from having one of the things you hold most dear to your heart (if you're married) affect you?

Taxes: Don't like the Income Tax; it's basically slavery. I seem to like the Fair Tax.
    Social Security: I would like to keep what is mine. Get me out of the government's system.

• Taxes directly.

• Budget mismanagement eroding the dollar and the value of my savings which are in dollars.

• Food and drug safety, airline safety

• Illegal immigration impact on my local community and local taxes.

• Security from foreign government action and terrorist both here and when I'm traveling abroad for either business or pleasure.

• Regulations and tariffs on goods and services my business is involved in, the rules are constantly changing making long term investment a huge issue. Basic trade and monetary policy having no long term direction whipsawing my business and ability to plan and invest for my and my partners future retirement needs.

• A tax code that cost me a fortune to comply with and understand.

• The failure to have enough competent bureaucrats to license the 100's of new nuclear plants we need to drive down the price of electricity, oil and gas and reduce our dependence on crucial foreign resources and intervene at great cost to the taxpayers because of it. Inflation on home heating, cooling and lighting coupled with increased transportation cost are a direct result of failed government policy and we are paying for it since our Federal government has a department of Energy and needs to approve and regulate nuclear power plants and other critical areas of the energy infrastructure.

• The failure of the Fed to regulate the building on lands that are unsafe and still providing emergency services at my expense when disaster inevitably strikes. People build in flood zones, fire zones, mud slide, tornado and hurricane zones and are having their insurance subsidized with my tax dollars reducing my ability to save and invest for my and my family’s future

• Failed war on drugs that has taken more and more tax dollars including the building of prisons to warehouse a huge population of young men who will have to be cared for and have their families cared for a good portion of their entire adult life further eroding my savings.

• Failed housing policy that built huge warehouses in good neighborhoods forcing me to relocate family at great personal expense because of crime and drugs in formally solid neighborhoods.

• Failed department of Education that hasn’t met the needs of our children and we are paying for it anyway.

The Government does plenty of good and impacts all of our lives directly and indirectly everyday and mostly in a positive way. The unfortunate reality is we need good bureaucrats to do a good job and we need a functioning efficient government. Unfortunately the debate seems to be one of either destroying our government entirely or turning the government into an unwieldy nanny state. I don’t see either of those positions as reasonable or practical. Competence matters we have to figure out what we can do competently rather than what we would like to do if we lived in a fantasy world. The debate between big and small government doesn't address the reality of competent government which is a small idea that has been trashed by both sides in the philosophical debate.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-07-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Good post WB, quite a few in there that are pet peeves of mine as well which I didn't list

Budget: It needs to be balanced. Along with this, I want taxes lowered but would live with a small and short raise if folowed by a bigger cut. Within the budget, debt must be decreased ASAP.

Border Security: Beef it up - a bunch.

Judges: Supreme Court judges have HUGE long term social consequences. I want a candidate who will nominate a traditional interpreter and will not legislate from the bench.

Traditional Family Values: Our country was built on the (for the time) radical premise that the will of the majority shall prevail. Today, if a few don;t like thewill of the majority, the majority has lost the power. I'd like a leadership who understands that the book "Johnny Has Two Daddy's" or "Meg's Two Mommies" does need to be in the 2nd grade reading list.

Education: Revamp the entire system. Include a vocational offering and more demanding instruction for college bound kids.

Energy Independence: The fact that we have allowed big oil to keep us in a state on dependence on ME oil might be the biggest mistake of the last 20 years. Any idiot could see the volatility of the ME. Find alternative means of powering our nation ASAP.

War on Terror: Prosecute it like it has been with the surge. Leave the terrorists bloodied and their organization wounded enuog hthat we can simulataneously begin working an exit strategy for much of the region by increasing our oil independence. I sure hope this is possible, but fear it is not.

Abortion: I'd like to see it stopped except for rape/incest victims or medical necessity. That said, I would live with steps that make abortion on demand much more difficult than it is today.
    Last edited by JCnflies; 01-07-2008 at 08:46 AM.

The accelerating trends toward oligarchy and increased corporate control of the public agenda affects all of us directly. If they were treated more fairly had were required to pay taxes at the same marginal rate as I do, my taxes would go down, and there would be more available for programs that benefit all of us.

I already face a situation where the so called choice touted by those defending the bankrupt status quo of health insurance no longer exists as a practical matter. Doctors in my area already refuse to accept certain types of health insurance, accepting only coverage they are aligned with.

Some choice.

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2304840]The accelerating trends toward oligarchy and increased corporate control of the public agenda affects all of us directly. If they were treated more fairly had were required to pay taxes at the same marginal rate as I do, my taxes would go down, and there would be more available for programs that benefit all of us.

I already face a situation where the so called choice touted by those defending the bankrupt status quo of health insurance no longer exists as a practical matter. Doctors in my area already refuse to accept certain types of health insurance, accepting only coverage they are aligned with.

Some choice.[/QUOTE]

What does government reform or lack of have to do with taxing businesses? If the problem is corporate money controlling the government, why not eliminate it entirely?

If you are going to tax corporations, you really can't complain with them wanting representation in our government unless you believe in taxation without representation?

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2304905]What does government reform or lack of have to do with taxing businesses? If the problem is corporate money controlling the government, why not eliminate it entirely?

If you are going to tax corporations, you really can't complain with them wanting representation in our government unless you believe in taxation without representation?[/QUOTE]

They can send letters to their congressman like everyone else. Buying access through paid lobbyists is different. This is not so hard to understand. You come across as an apologist for the status quo if you pretend there is not a qualitative difference to such access.

Not to mention of course having polluters draft environmental regulations and oil and gas interests drafting energy policy. You are aware this kind of thing has been going on in W's Admin? And you are okay with that?

Most people are not, but then thankfully most people are not down the line apologists for W and his corporate cronyism.