Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bookies declare Obama winner

Bookies declare Obama winner

the Irish bookies are never wrong!

from FoxNews

[url]http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/media/article/obama-costs-irish-bookie-75000_425252_15.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    What?

Is this serious?

let me clarify

if your bet was on Obama winning the dem nomination that bet is considered a winner by this Irish bookie company.

this might sound like nothing important but in the UK and Ireland sports betting is completely legal, and they have been doing political prop betting for years. If they are paying out Obama tickets that means they believe he's a sure thing to win the nomination.

before they declared obama the winner the odds on him winning the dem nomination were 1/20.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2304657]let me clarify

if your bet was on Obama winning the dem nomination that bet is considered a winner by this Irish bookie company.

this might sound like nothing important but in the UK and Ireland sports betting is completely legal, and they have been doing political prop betting for years. If they are paying out Obama tickets that means they believe he's a sure thing to win the nomination.

before they declared obama the winner the odds on him winning the dem nomination were 1/20.[/QUOTE]

Odds are fine. Why would they be paying winners this early? Makes no sense.

Maybe Obama is paying them for the momentum gain..

[QUOTE=CTM;2304661]Odds are fine. Why would they be paying winners this early? Makes no sense.

Maybe Obama is paying them for the momentum gain..[/QUOTE]

in the article from fox business, the reason why they paid it out is because they were losing cash like crazy. no one was betting on clinton or edwards, and the obama odds were miniscule. they had to end it to cut their losses.

today Obama has a 10 point lead in NH and he's storming away with this thing. we can talk about polls and their accuracy but 5ever will attest there is no better indicator than the free market. and Paddy Power had to close that market because according to the punters there was no doubt of the winner.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2304671]in the article from fox business, the reason why they paid it out is because they were losing cash like crazy. no one was betting on clinton or edwards, and the obama odds were miniscule. they had to end it to cut their losses.

today Obama has a 10 point lead in NH and he's storming away with this thing. we can talk about polls and their accuracy but 5ever will attest there is no better indicator than the free market. and Paddy Power had to close that market because according to the punters there was no doubt of the winner.[/QUOTE]

They can stop accepting bets without paying out?

[QUOTE=CTM;2304676]They can stop accepting bets without paying out?[/QUOTE]

no. they are stopping and paying out. the market is closed as of today.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2304683]no. they are stopping and paying out. the market is closed as of today.[/QUOTE]

I understand what they are doing, but why wouldn't they just list the odds at "off" and pay out later when/if he actually wins?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CTM;2304638]What?

Is this serious?[/QUOTE]

to bitonti it is.....

here's another one from intrade, this is a betting market site that traders like to use

look at the graph of "obama for dem nom"

[url]http://www.intrade.com/#[/url]

you can barely see it but that spike at the end is huge

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2304720]to bitonti it is.....[/QUOTE]

CBNY hopefully you are prepared for President Obama. I don't want it to come to a shock to your system when it happens.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2304725]CBNY hopefully you are prepared for President Obama. I don't want it to come to a shock to your system when it happens.[/QUOTE]

no need to worry....I don't belong to the Lions Club of greater Chicago where hussien is commander and cheif....

better yet- based on the powers of political prediction you've constantly shown on this forum hussien oughta just save his energy...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 01-07-2008 at 12:09 PM.

If GOP contards think the way to beat Obama is to call him Hussein, they are more stupid than I thought before.

[QUOTE=Big Blocker;2304763]If GOP contards think the way to beat Obama is to call him Hussein, they are more stupid than I thought before.[/QUOTE]

just in the last month i've read GOP'ers in this forum say they think Obama matches the description of the anti-christ, that his grandma lives in a hut in Africa, that he was raised in a Madrassa

and that's why Obama can't lose

because if you try to attack him, you run the serious risk of sounding like a idiot on the fringe of society.

hillary is extremely attackable. Obama not so much.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2304763]If GOP contards think the way to beat Obama is to call him Hussein, they are more stupid than I thought before.[/QUOTE]

Not that this matters anyway..I am sure Hillary and her minions will see to it that Hussein will meet with an unfortunate accident soon....plane crash etc. Maybe they should open that up to betting..:yes:

Seems they do, Blocker.

BTW, your boy Edwards had a good night Saturday. His ambush of Hillary --and her subsequent meltdown-- was good stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

that really hurts come from a programmed rat wingers like yourself who holds the banner for a failed candidate like edwards.....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2304787]that really hurts come from a programmed rat wingers like yourself who holds the banner for a failed candidate like edwards.....[/QUOTE]

Who do you support, CBNY? I get what you are against, of course, but not so much what you are for.

Right on CBTNY, you are so open, you aren't programmed at all.
    Good job.

You won't hold a banner for anyone until the results are in.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2304787]that really hurts come from a programmed rat wingers like yourself who holds the banner for a failed candidate like edwards.....[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [quote=CTM;2304661]Odds are fine. Why would they be paying winners this early? Makes no sense.

Maybe Obama is paying them for the momentum gain..[/quote]

Maybe they know something we don't :eek: