Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Edwards v. Chris Matthews

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Elizabeth Edwards v. Chris Matthews

Here is the transcript of Matthews's "interview" with Elizabeth Edwards last Friday. Aside from being a complete tool ("you have a nice face"?!?!?), notice how he concedes his coverage is unbalanced for sexist and racist reasons:

Partial transcript below the fold

CM: But Sen. Edwards, your husband, takes tons of money from trial lawyers. They’re an interest group.

EE: Every person…teachers are an interest group. Press people are an interest group. Every time, you can’t just identify their occupation and say they’re an interest group. You do that all the time. I’m a little tired of that, Chris.

CM: But what’s…what’s…how do you defend taking all this money from the trial lawyers?

EE: What?

CM: They’re not the most popular group in the country

EE: You know, and I suppose there are people who take money from people who own…um…

CM: Teachers are defensible, trial lawyers are a question mark.

EE: Well, actually trial lawyers have spent their lives defending precisely the same kinds of people John’s talking about: working people, who have to go up against corporations or insurance companies and find themselves on the short end of the stick too often. Because they don’t have the voice, the champion that they need, and John’s proud of the fact that he has the support of those kinds of people. I’m tired of this stuff from you. It’s the same song and dance from you all the time.

CM: And what is my song and dance?

EE: That you treat trial lawyers as if they’re a different breed of American than anybody else. They’re…

CM: They’re just driving the doctors out of the states like Pennsylvania, that’s all. These guys can’t afford to practice any more because the trial lawyers are killing them with malpractice.

EE: No. The reason that the insurers pulled out of the state of Pennsylvania was because the anti-trust laws do not cover insurance companies. We can argue about this for a long time…

CM: I just think the doctors are the good guys, okay?

EE: The doctors are the good guys. But it’s not doctors, it’s the insurance companies that have been the problem.

CM: You can’t even find a bartender in states like Pennsylvania because of the trial lawyers. Elizabeth, thank you, the champion of the trial lawyers. You think that’s a good cause to run on for President?

EE: I think the people who trial lawyers represent—the working people of this country—that’s who John’s talking about. The people he grew up with. When he went to work, he went to work not because he had…he was enamored of the trial lawyer. He was enamored of what they did, of the work they did, of the people that they represented. That’s what he’s doing still.

CM: Well, he gave a good speech last night.

EE: He did give a good speech…

CM: It was a good speech. And he’s a great candidate. And I think…

EE: I didn’t hear that…would you like to…

CM: He’s a great candidate. He’s one of the three in the mix right now. It’s a tough one. I mean, he’s not the first woman president, first African American president—this is exciting history. John Edwards is just another white Protestant from the South.

EE: I have to say something. I’m a child of the ‘60s; you are too. We fought very hard for civil rights and women’s rights. What we fought for is so that it wouldn’t make a difference that we were a woman, or we were an African American. It shouldn’t make a difference. We’re not allowed now to say, ‘I’m sorry, it makes a difference to me. ‘ I get, I get…That’s what we fought for, for to make it no difference whatsoever.

CM: You think we’re there? We’re color blind?

EE: Not yet.

CM: I know, that’s why it’s exciting, this race.

EE: It is exciting.

CM: You’ve got a great face, Elizabeth. Sorry, I don’t want to patronize you. You’re great.

Here's a link:

[url]http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/01/05/hardball-elizabeth-edwards-asks-whats-it-going-to-take-to-mention-john-edwards[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Edwards is in the pocket of the American Trial Lawyers Association, or whatever they changed their name to. Attacking the messenger, not the message?

The point is Trial Lawyers are ruining the business atmosphere in this country, especially for the small business owner. If they cared sooo much about "justice" then explain their 40% contingency fees. Why not 25%? Hey, its a free country and people can chanrge what they want, but don't insult our intelligence and say it is for "justice" just admit that you are going for the almighty dollar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    crooksandliars.com, huh? What, buckfush.com was down today?

Is Elizabeth Edwards running for office?

What I noticed is that Elizabeth Edwards is pathetically trying to spin the trial lawyers (excuse men, Association for Justice) obvious support for and influence on Edwards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=HDCentStOhio;2305435]Edwards is in the pocket of the American Trial Lawyers Association, or whatever they changed their name to. Attacking the messenger, not the message?

The point is Trial Lawyers are ruining the business atmosphere in this country, especially for the small business owner. If they cared sooo much about "justice" then explain their 40% contingency fees. Why not 25%? Hey, its a free country and people can chanrge what they want, but don't insult our intelligence and say it is for "justice" just admit that you are going for the almighty dollar.[/quote]

40%? Where do you get your numbers from? Industry standard is 1/3

And as an attorney at a non-contingency firm, the contingency rate is understandable; the lawyer is taking a substantial risk in taking on a case, and if he doesn't win he may be out hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of labor and time. Few of the contingency firms are raking in millions; I'd bet most are making barely enough to earn the attorneys a decent salary. Its just the nature of the beast - contingency lawyers spend much more time on cases they never recover on (or get only a nominal settlement) for each case with a decent recovery.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2305501]crooksandliars.com, huh? What, buckfush.com was down today?

Is Elizabeth Edwards running for office?

What I noticed is that Elizabeth Edwards is pathetically trying to spin the trial lawyers (excuse men, Association for Justice) obvious support for and influence on Edwards.[/QUOTE]

:clapper::clapper:

gotta love it.....Edwards was meaningless to the '04 campaign and the fact the dims couldn't win his state is attributed to kerri being a bad candidate, not the shortcomings of edwards....

yet breck boy sends his wifey out to do his fighting and everyone should take note....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2305596]40%? Where do you get your numbers from? Industry standard is 1/3

And as an attorney at a non-contingency firm, the contingency rate is understandable; the lawyer is taking a substantial risk in taking on a case, and if he doesn't win he may be out hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of labor and time. Few of the contingency firms are raking in millions; I'd bet most are making barely enough to earn the attorneys a decent salary. Its just the nature of the beast - contingency lawyers spend much more time on cases they never recover on (or get only a nominal settlement) for each case with a decent recovery.[/QUOTE]

is it 1/3 or 1/3 plus fees???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Come Back to NY;2305610]is it 1/3 or 1/3 plus fees???[/quote]

its typically 1/3 of the net after expenses

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2305596]40%? Where do you get your numbers from? Industry standard is 1/3

And as an attorney at a non-contingency firm, the contingency rate is understandable; the lawyer is taking a substantial risk in taking on a case, and if he doesn't win he may be out hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of labor and time. Few of the contingency firms are raking in millions; I'd bet most are making barely enough to earn the attorneys a decent salary. Its just the nature of the beast - contingency lawyers spend much more time on cases they never recover on (or get only a nominal settlement) for each case with a decent recovery.[/QUOTE]

Are those lawyers working "for justice" or chasing a payday? I'm talking about the Edwards types, and the Shelly Silvers (of counsel for Weitz & Luxemburg (sp?)) All it takes is one or two "home runs" to earn a lifetime payday. Just ask Johnny Edwards.

Look, I come from a family of lawyers, and know the diversity of work they do. However, trial attorneys on contingency for the most part play the act, just care about the money, and hurt the small business owner. They actually refer patients to doctors- not based upon who is the best but who will give the most favorable report for their case.

I did hear from somewhere that 40% of the first $100,000 is a common fee. I defer to your experience, however.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2305617]its typically 1/3 of the net after expenses[/QUOTE]

So close to 40% gross?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2305609]:clapper::clapper:

gotta love it.....Edwards was meaningless to the '04 campaign and the fact the dims couldn't win his state is attributed to kerri being a bad candidate, not the shortcomings of edwards....

yet breck boy sends his wifey out to do his fighting and everyone should take note....[/QUOTE]

To me it shows the guy doesn't give a *hit for anyone but himself and his becoming president..This woman has metastatic Breast Cancer for god's sake. This stress could make her condition worse and shorten her life..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2305634]So close to 40% gross?[/QUOTE]

that's what I was getting at as I wasn't exactly sure...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2305687]that's what I was getting at as I wasn't exactly sure...[/QUOTE]

In any case definitely not "justice".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2305609]:clapper::clapper:

yet breck boy sends his wifey out to do his fighting and everyone should take note....[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on being the PatsFan TX of the political section. He is to the Jets as you are to the Democrats. Your act gets stale and old. Every Democrat is a "dim" and all of them are not strong and on and on and on and on...zzzzzzzzzzzz

In fact your act is sadly familiar; Anne coulter, michael moore, Rush Limbaugh, al Frankin. Its polarizing politics in the worst fashion stolen from the Nixon, Bush & Clinton play books.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-07-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW... we interviewed the 3 top law firms here in Houston to handle my sons injury case... all of them were 40% flat contingency.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2305841]Congratulations on being the PatsFan TX of the political section. He is to the Jets as you are to the Democrats. Your act gets stale and old. Every Democrat is a "dim" and all of them are not strong and on and on and on and on...zzzzzzzzzzzz

In fact your act is sadly familiar; Anne coulter, michael moore, Rush Limbaugh, al Frankin. Its polarizing politics in the worst fashion stolen from the Nixon, Bush & Clinton play books.[/QUOTE]

another sad, pathetic edwards supporter unable to address the topic at hand...

then again I guess when you've got nothing else in the arsenel, as you usually don't, it's time to parrot the keith oblerman's, randi rodent's and ny times of the world......:yes:

of course the irony of your sad post is, while he may be a sh!t stirrer, from what little posts I've read, PatsFan Tex is one of the more coherent posters on the football forum...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 01-08-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2306035]another sad, pathetic edwards supporter unable to address the topic at hand...

then again I guess when you've got nothing else in the arsenel, as you usually don't, it's time to parrot the keith oblerman's, randi rodent's and ny times of the world......:yes:[/QUOTE]

There is no way to refute the fact that Johnny Boy is in the hip pocket of the Trial Lawyers. His supporters are trying to use smoke and mirrors to hide his true base, as evidenced by the "crooksandliars" article. His courtroom theatrics and acting won't save him this time, though.

But on the bright side, he will continue to have plenty of free time to give more of those $55,000 lectures on poverty! Who knows, perhaps a Nobel Peace prize may be in his future for all his "hard work" fighting against poverty.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doctors vs. Lawyers.

Gotta love it...:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2306258]Doctors vs. Lawyers.

Gotta love it...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What, Plumbers are inherantly better people? Have you seen what some Plumbers charge lately? :eek:

At least Doctors and Lawyers have the common courtesy to cover up their ass-crack while they screw you.:P:D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2306106]There is no way to refute the fact that Johnny Boy is in the hip pocket of the Trial Lawyers. His supporters are trying to use smoke and mirrors to hide his true base, as evidenced by the "crooksandliars" article. His courtroom theatrics and acting won't save him this time, though.

But on the bright side, he will continue to have plenty of free time to give more of those $55,000 lectures on poverty! Who knows, perhaps a Nobel Peace prize may be in his future for all his "hard work" fighting against poverty.[/QUOTE]

why stop at edwards??? it his entire party.....any coincidence they always put up a huge fight against legislation litigation??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, the cakeholes here miss the point.

Tweety has conceded the MSM is covering the race for reasons that have nothing to do with informing the public and instead for self interested reasons, the easy pursuit of the perceived "narrative".

Tired arguments about trial lawyers are intended to cloud the issue here. Edwards is running for president. He was a successful trial lawyer. Should he have been an unsuccessful one?

Is the point that lawyers should not be presidents? That would disqualify over half the contestants. Guiliani... Obama... Thompson... Hillary...

You can see that the quality of discourse here is far lower than several of you clowns like to consider your contributions here to be.