Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Bais and Selective Outrage Over Potentially Offensive Words. Does it Exist?

Media Bais and Selective Outrage Over Potentially Offensive Words. Does it Exist?

[QUOTE]Obama has "not done the kind of spade work" to be President - Hillary Clinton[/QUOTE]

"Spade", as most folks know, is a derrogatory (racist) term for African Americans. Just watch "Eddie Murphy - Raw" if you are not familiar. And the phrase "spade work" is not exactly a common one in political parlance these days.

My issue is not so much with the comment itself (as I detest Political Correctness and it's horrid policy of turning words into crimes merely because teh word was used, even if the context is not intended that way). My issue is with how such a comment, about a Black candidate, is handled by our Media.

I beleive that if a Republican had made this comment, that we would currently be inundated with protests, calls of racism, and a certain Minister (or two) proclaiming how racist the Republican party is. I beleive the Democrats often get a free pass on comments that border on objectionable or racist-meaning phraseology, where the Republicans do not.

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2306486]"Spade", as most folks know, is a derrogatory (racist) term for African Americans. Just watch "Eddie Murphy - Raw" if you are not familiar. And the phrase "spade work" is not exactly a common one in political parlance these days.

My issue is not so much with the comment itself (as I detest Political Correctness and it's horrid policy of turning words into crimes merely because teh word was used, even if the context is not intended that way). My issue is with how such a comment, about a Black candidate, is handled by our Media.

I beleive that if a Republican had made this comment, that we would currently be inundated with protests, calls of racism, and a certain Minister (or two) proclaiming how racist the Republican party is. I beleive the Democrats often get a free pass on comments that border on objectionable or racist-meaning phraseology, where the Republicans do not.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Just look back to George Allen and "macaca". How was THAT handled?

Jets Insider VIP
    That is true, if this was Trent Lott they would have Imus'ed him. Even though the usage in this case is the garden variety.

What if the former Clansmen Sen Robert Byrd does any gardening?

Hall Of Fame
    Oh, I don't think Hillary is a racist.

After all, she married "the first black President".

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2306495]Couldn't agree more. Just look back to George Allen and "macaca". How was THAT handled?[/QUOTE]

There are really only two possabillites:

--She either used the term intentionally, aware of it's meaning and history.

--Or she was ignorant as to the terms long history of racist use, and was simply unaware it is an offensive term, which speaks to her knowledge and understanding.

In either case, had a Republican uttered this phrase, about this candidate, the media outcry, and the outcry from the Black Community, would have been defeaning. the intent and meaning would be irrelevant, only the offense would matter. As we all know, such outcries have ended other political careers.

Didn't the media make a big deal out of Obama being called articulate by someone on the right?

All Pro
    For what it's worth, here is the meaning of "spadework" (one word) according to thefreedictionary.com:

[QUOTE]1. Work requiring a spade.
    2. Preparatory work necessary for a project or an activity.[/QUOTE]

Used in this context, I don't think Clinton is knowingly trying to be racist. I could be wrong though.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WJGC;2306514]Didn't the media make a big deal out of Obama being called articulate by someone on the right?[/QUOTE]

Actually, that was Biden calling Obama "clean."

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/"]http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/[/URL]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2306486]"Spade", as most folks know, is a derrogatory (racist) term for African Americans. Just watch "Eddie Murphy - Raw" if you are not familiar. And the phrase "spade work" is not exactly a common one in political parlance these days.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Non-event. it had nothing to do with race. Shouldn't we be happy that the press isn't distorting it?

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;2306530]Non-event. it had nothing to do with race. Shouldn't we be happy that the press isn't distorting it?[/QUOTE]

Lets test that theory. Go find the highest ranking African American person in your company, and ask him/her how he/she was able to "do the spadework" that got him where he is today. Let us know how he responds.

And yes, it this was how such things were treated universally, then I'd agree the media ignoring it would be good. But we both know it is not handled this way accross the board.

[QUOTE=WJGC;2306514]Didn't the media make a big deal out of Obama being called articulate by someone on the right?[/QUOTE]

No, it was Joe Biden, a Democrat. He also said Obama was the first black politician who was "clean." Obama laughed it off.

The story was more about Biden's foot-in-mouth diseases than anything else.

hey man she's just calling a spade a spade

(sorry it was a bad joke but i had to make it) :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

it'll be no big deal, as it should be....

of course had Guiliani said this we'd hear how he is racist and insensitive and needs race based counseling....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;2306511]There are really only two possabillites:

--She either used the term intentionally, aware of it's meaning and history.

--Or she was ignorant as to the terms long history of racist use, and was simply unaware it is an offensive term, which speaks to her knowledge and understanding.

In either case, had a Republican uttered this phrase, about this candidate, the media outcry, and the outcry from the Black Community, would have been defeaning. the intent and meaning would be irrelevant, only the offense would matter. As we all know, such outcries have ended other political careers.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think it was a deliberate phrase, but who the hell uses the term spade work? I don't remember the last time I heard it. Hillary is just showing her bitterness as her hopes collapse, and trying anything she can to gain an edge. Tears, choking up, spitting out subliminal messages, attacking, calling for "history" calling for change (that one cracks me up the most, everyone is calling for change, but guess what there is change coming W is done).

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I don't think she was trying to be racist. There's no political advantage to using coded racism in NH, first of all. And, second, she said so many dumb things yesterday (that astounding MLK/LBJ gaffe) this was going to be buried anyhow.

Hall Of Fame
    never heard of that term as an insult...

and btw, I know for a fact Limbaugh says "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" intended to be a slur... I've heard him say it several times now so for you to claim otherwise, and that you never heard it when Bush used it constantly during 2004 campaign and your boy Rush uses it, is dishonest at best

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2306570]never heard of that term as an insult...

and btw, I know for a fact Limbaugh says "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" intended to be a slur... I've heard him say it several times now so for you to claim otherwise, and that you never heard it when Bush used it constantly during 2004 campaign and your boy Rush uses it, is dishonest at best[/QUOTE]

Which is more offensive, "Democrat" or "Spade"?

Oh, right....you've never heard the term "Spade" meant offensively before....and you call ME dishonest? You continue to amaze. :rolleyes:

Anyway, why would YOU care? You are a self-professed registered Republican, who thinks he's an "Independant". So what difference does it make to you if Rush uses "Democrat" as a so-called slur.

And just out of curiosity, when discussing a simgle member of the Democratic party (as i did in correcting your error in posting per your request), what term IS appropriate in your view, since you see to be the arbiter of such things?
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-08-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2306577]Which is more offensive, "Democrat" or "Spade"?

Oh, right....you've never heard the term "Spade" meant offensively before....and you call ME dishonest? You continue to amaze. :rolleyes:

Anyway, why would YOU care? You are a self-professed registered Republican, who thinks he's an "Independant". So what difference does it make to you if Rush uses "Democrat" as a so-called slur.

And just out of curiosity, when discussing a simgle member of the Democratic party (as i did in correcting your error in posting per your request), what term IS appropriate in your view, since you see to be the arbiter of such things?[/QUOTE]

am I not always honest? do I not always say what ever is on my mind, regardless of what you all's opinion will be?

so you think all of a sudden I would lie and claim I've never heard spade used in any other way than a shovel? what purpose does that serve?

I've honestly never heard that term used in that way before...

since it appears it is truly a negative term, I think it's reprehensible that Hillary would use it

as for Rush, I only brought it up to prove you as a liar... since you HAVE TO HAVE heard him AND Bush use it repeatedly

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Using the term as a verb kind of makes this a none issue. When I herd it I thought it was a bit odd but as a gardner it makes perfect sense to plant the seeds.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2306597]am I not always honest? do I not always say what ever is on my mind, regardless of what you all's opinion will be?

so you think all of a sudden I would lie and claim I've never heard spade used in any other way than a shovel? what purpose does that serve?

I've honestly never heard that term used in that way before...

since it appears it is truly a negative term, I think it's reprehensible that Hillary would use it

as for Rush, I only brought it up to prove you as a liar... since you HAVE TO HAVE heard him AND Bush use it repeatedly[/QUOTE]

Hearing a term, and knowing it's supposed intent (especially in a subtle difference between "Democrat" and "Democrats"), are two very different things. As said in another thread, I know Rush uses the phrase "Breck Girl", yet I have no idea what that means, nor any desire to look it up to find out.

So yes, I am sure I have heard Rush say "Democrat". Did I know, previous to you bloviating, that it was apparently a "slur"? Nope. Do I think it's a slur now? Not really, but if you say so, sure, but it makes the Democrats look like spineless sensative whiners IMO.

And yes, since you think I am a liar, I am certainly free to believe you are either woefully ignorant, or a simple liar, when it comes to your claim that you've never heard the 2nd most common slur used towards Aftrican Americans.

Still waiting for you to answer my questions:

--You are a Registered Republican who calls himself an Independant. Why does the phrase "democrat" bother YOU?

--What is the proper term for discussing a single member of the Democratic party?
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-08-2008 at 11:39 AM.