Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A scary prospect for the Republicans...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

A scary prospect for the Republicans...

...My vote is available.

This is not ego speaking, what I am saying is that I have no idea who my candidate is for this next election. I've always voted Republican, and these jokers running right now have failed to gather my interest. My choice is not running at this point.

What does this say? I'm sure I'm not alone, and it is a another failure on W's shoulders that the party is now in the state it is in.

I'll make a choice, and it will be carefully considered, I'm just shocked that these guys have failed to connect to this point. For the first time ever I may be looking elsewhere. :eek:

All Pro
    Personally, I think the stage is being set for a viable Independent candidate, namely Bloomberg.

[QUOTE=parafly;2306584]Personally, I think the stage is being set for a viable Independent candidate, namely Bloomberg.[/QUOTE]

Outside of his vast wealth, what do you think makes him viable, policy wise?

And I agree Jetswin, the Republican Party has no clear winner, or clear choice, this time round. All are rather uninspiring or unrealistic, same result in either case. The nomination on that side could take a while.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2306581]...My vote is available.

This is not ego speaking, what I am saying is that I have no idea who my candidate is for this next election. I've always voted Republican, and these jokers running right now have failed to gather my interest. My choice is not running at this point.

What does this say? I'm sure I'm not alone, and it is a another failure on W's shoulders that the party is now in the state it is in.

I'll make a choice, and it will be carefully considered, I'm just shocked that these guys have failed to connect to this point. For the first time ever I may be looking elsewhere. :eek:[/QUOTE]
    I was saying the same thing to my sister-in-law this past weekend....I am a die hard conservative and I am up in the air who to vote for....I do like Fred Thompson but he seems uninterested. I'm still on the fence however, I will still be voting on party lines.

[QUOTE=jetswin;2306581]...My vote is available.

I'll make a choice, and it will be carefully considered, I'm just shocked that these guys have failed to connect to this point. For the first time ever I may be looking elsewhere. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I think this field is better than the Republican and Democratic field in the last two elections. Romney, McCain and Gulliani are all far better candidates than Bush and I would be far more comfortable with Hillary than Kerry and hopefully by the time he is tested I would think Obama will be at least as good or better than Kerry.

This election has a long way to go and when it's finally down to two people running against each other we will get a much better chance to see the quality or lack of quality of either candidate. I also think we will see at least one and possibly two third party candidates that will tip the election in an unforseen direction.

[QUOTE=parafly;2306584]Personally, I think the stage is being set for a viable Independent candidate, namely Bloomberg.[/QUOTE]

Bloomberg has indicated --and people around him have said-- that he's unlikely to enter the race if either Obama or McCain gets nominated, and definintely not if they are both nominated. He likes them both personally and, in terms of pure politics, they score pretty well with the indy voters he'd need to make a dent.

If it's Clinton or Edwards versus Romney or Giuliani, however, I do think he'd see an opening because of how polarizing those candidates are.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2306610]I think this field is better than the Republican and Democratic field in the last two elections. Romney, McCain and Gulliani are all far better candidates than Bush and I would be far more comfortable with Hillary than Kerry and hopefully by the time he is tested I would think Obama will be at least as good or better than Kerry.

This election has a long way to go and when it's finally down to two people running against each other we will get a much better chance to see the quality or lack of quality of either candidate. I also think we will see at least one and possibly two third party candidates that will tip the election in an unforseen direction.[/QUOTE]

You forgot about Al Gore, possibly the best candidate in decades...

and Giuliani would be the same and as bad as W imho...

Hillary = Kerry on ****tiness

Romney = competent for sure, but "flip-flops" more than Kerry ever did

McCain = I have respect for him and his service to the country, and has somewhat of an independent mind so decent choice

Obama = I agree definitely better than Kerry (not hard to do)

if Bloomberg gets in, it hurts the Dems way more than it hurts the GOP

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2306589]Outside of his vast wealth, what do you think makes him viable, policy wise?[/QUOTE]

The current state of the Democratic and Republican parties are what makes him viable...nothing to do with him personally. I don't know enough about him to say whether or not he would be a legitimate candidate on his own merits.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2306620]Bloomberg has indicated --and people around him have said-- that he's unlikely to enter the race if either Obama or McCain gets nominated, and definintely not if they are both nominated. He likes them both personally and, in terms of pure politics, they score pretty well with the indy voters he'd need to make a dent.

If it's Clinton or Edwards versus Romney or Giuliani, however, I do think he'd see an opening because of how polarizing those candidates are.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2306635]You forgot about Al Gore, possibly the best candidate in decades...

and Giuliani would be the same and as bad as W imho...

Hillary = Kerry on ****tiness

Romney = competent for sure, but "flip-flops" more than Kerry ever did

McCain = I have respect for him and his service to the country, and has somewhat of an independent mind so decent choice

Obama = I agree definitely better than Kerry (not hard to do)

if Bloomberg gets in, it hurts the Dems way more than it hurts the GOP[/QUOTE]

I didn't forget Al Gore In an election that should have been a slam dunk he managed to do everything in his power to come off as an unlikeable prick and even lost his home state because of it. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a good President but he was a terrible candidate and would have created an even more partisan atmosphere than exists now.

remember the term "reagan democrats"

pollsters are saying there could be "obama republicans" this time around

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2306684]remember the term "reagan democrats"

pollsters are saying there could be "obama republicans" this time around[/QUOTE]

I had not heard that, however I am going to inform myself re: Obama

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2306679]would have created an even more partisan atmosphere than exists now.[/QUOTE]

we officially have our first nominee for the worst post of 2008

you can not be more wrong... nothing nor no-one could do more damage to the US and it's partisan atmosphere than Bush/Cheney/Rove/etc... they only have one play in their play book, and it's to divide and increase tension between groups of people!

What promise are you looking for from a candidate ... i.e. that you want the government to do for you?

[quote=jetswin;2306581]...My vote is available.

I'll make a choice, and it will be carefully considered, I'm just shocked that these guys have failed to connect to this point. For the first time ever I may be looking elsewhere. :eek:[/quote]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2306725]What promise are you looking for from a candidate ... i.e. that you want the government to do for you?[/QUOTE]

It's more what I don't want the Gov't to do really...and I'll know it when I find it.

[QUOTE=jetswin;2306687]I had not heard that, however I am going to inform myself re: Obama[/QUOTE]

Seems like he doesn't even like doing the job he has now.

[B]Barack Obama has missed 166 votes (37.6%) during the current Congress[/B]

[url]http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WJGC;2306740]Seems like he doesn't even like doing the job he has now.

[url]http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/[/url][/QUOTE]

wow

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WJGC;2306740]Seems like he doesn't even like doing the job he has now.

[url]http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/[/url][/QUOTE]

yeah and if we follow your link, we can see McCain missed > 55% of the votes

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2306752]yeah and if we follow your link, we can see McCain missed > 55% of the votes[/QUOTE]

What's your point?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WJGC;2306760]What's your point?[/QUOTE]

That it is not outside of the norm for a campaigning Senator.