Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this college class subject...ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame

Check out this college class subject...ridiculous.

[url]http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr[/url]

ENGLISH 317. Literature and Culture.
    Section 002 — How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation.

Credits: (3; 2 in the half-term).

Instructor(s): David M Halperin (halperin@umich.edu)

Course Description:

Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn't mean that you don't have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not.

This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and (3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand.

In particular, we will examine a number of cultural artifacts and activities that seem to play a prominent role in learning how to be gay: Hollywood movies, grand opera, Broadway musicals, and other works of classical and popular music, as well as camp, diva-worship, drag, muscle culture, taste, style, and political activism. Are there a number of classically 'gay' works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay? What is there about gay identity that explains the gay appropriation of these works? What do we learn about gay male identity by asking not who gay men are but what it is that gay men do or like? One aim of exploring these questions is to approach gay identity from the perspective of social practices and cultural identifications rather than from the perspective of gay sexuality itself. What can such an approach tell us about the sentimental, affective, or subjective dimensions of gay identity, including gay sexuality, that an exclusive focus on gay sexuality cannot?

At the core of gay experience there is not only identification but disidentification. Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay. I say to myself, 'Well, I may be gay, but at least I'm not like that!' Rather than attempting to promote one version of gay identity at the expense of others, this course will investigate the stakes in gay identifications and disidentifications, seeking ultimately to create the basis for a wider acceptance of the plurality of ways in which people determine how to be gay.

Additional note. This course is not a basic introduction to gay male culture, but an exploration of certain issues arising from it. It assumes some background knowledge. Students wishing to inform themselves about gay men and gay culture in a preliminary way should enroll in an introductory course in lesbian/gay studies.

English 317 info page >
    Last edited by jets5ever; 01-08-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    an error occurred while processing this directive

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2306669]an error occurred while processing this directive[/QUOTE]

I got the same thing

Hall Of Fame
    sorry, re-try the link above...and I also pasted the text above.

Hall Of Fame
    sounds like it's only a section of the course, correct?

very strange indeed... great way for those guys to meet each other, and get credits for doing so lol

The title of the course "How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation" is pretty ridiculous, but after reading the course description, i see nothing ridiculous about it. This course is similar to many other college courses on the culture of African Americans, Asians, the Jewish Experience etc... You may not be interested in this class but you dont have to take it. If the course is unpopular and does not get adequate enrollment, it would be dropped. Theres nothing ridiculous about this course. If it was made a required course, then yes it would be ridiculous.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I believe the final exam is oral?

All Pro
    What do you expect from Michigan?!?!?!

They are all fudge packing fairy fruitcakes!!!!!

GO Buckeyes!!!!!
    Last edited by LI2OH; 01-08-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2306709]The title of the course "How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation" is pretty ridiculous, but after reading the course description, i see nothing ridiculous about it. This course is similar to many other college courses on the culture of African Americans, Asians, the Jewish Experience etc... You may not be interested in this class but you dont have to take it. If the course is unpopular and does not get adequate enrollment, it would be dropped. Theres nothing ridiculous about this course. If it was made a required course, then yes it would be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I agree somewhat, but the class project sounds a bit iffy to me :coocoo:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2306709]The title of the course "How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation" is pretty ridiculous, but after reading the course description, i see nothing ridiculous about it. This course is similar to many other college courses on the culture of African Americans, Asians, the Jewish Experience etc... You may not be interested in this class but you dont have to take it. If the course is unpopular and does not get adequate enrollment, it would be dropped. Theres nothing ridiculous about this course. If it was made a required course, then yes it would be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Uh, you're crazy.

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2306721]Uh, you're crazy.[/QUOTE]

Nice response.
    But hey , i dont expect anything more from a dimwit like you.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2306711]I believe the final exam is oral?[/QUOTE]

:funnyguy::funnyguy:

Jets Insider VIP

Nicely played. :P

All Pro

OK OK i'll play...

I heard it was going to be long and hard too :D

Veteran
    [img]http://www.nndb.com/people/643/000095358/halperin.jpg[/img]

the "instructor"
    I bet he knows all the tricks.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LI2OH;2306786]OK OK i'll play...

I heard it was going to be long and hard too :D[/QUOTE]

watch out though, the teach is supposed to be very anal that the exam is completed correctly

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2306798]watch out though, the teach is supposed to be very anal that the exam is completed correctly[/QUOTE]

and the HW is a pain in the butt :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and taken by people who are anal???

That sounds anal to me!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

OK, I looked it up. It's given in a very informal setting. Apparently they sit around in a circle and eat crackers.