Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ron Paul '90s Newsletters Rant Against Blacks, Gays" -- CNN.com

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

"Ron Paul '90s Newsletters Rant Against Blacks, Gays" -- CNN.com

[QUOTE] [B][U][SIZE="6"]"Ron Paul '90s Newsletters Rant Against Blacks, Gays"[/SIZE][/U][/B]

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A series of newsletters in the name of GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul contain several racist remarks -- including one that says order was restored to Los Angeles after the 1992 riots when blacks went "to pick up their welfare checks."

This is a copy of one of the "Ron Paul Political Report" newsletters, which has stirred controversy.

[IMG]http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/art.essay.ronpaul.polreport.jpg[/IMG]

1 of 2 CNN recently obtained the newsletters -- written in the 1990s and one from the late 1980s -- after a report was published about their existence in The New Republic.

None of the newsletters CNN found says who wrote them, but each was published under Paul's name between his stints as a U.S. congressman from Texas.

Paul told CNN's "The Situation Room" Thursday that he didn't write any of the offensive articles and has "no idea" who did.

"When you bring this question up, you're really saying, 'You're a racist' or 'Are you a racist?' And the answer is, 'No, I'm not a racist,'" he said.

Paul said he had never even read the articles with the racist comments.

"I do repudiate everything that is written along those lines," he said, adding he wanted to "make sure everybody knew where I stood on this position because it's obviously wrong."

But that's not good enough, says one political veteran.

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

Paul, who is not considered a front-runner, has become an Internet phenomenon in the current race, raising tens of millions of dollars from a devoted online base, many of them young people drawn to his libertarian straight talk. See where the money is coming from

The controversial newsletters include rants against the Israeli lobby, gays, AIDS victims and Martin Luther King Jr. -- described as a "pro-Communist philanderer." One newsletter, from June 1992, right after the LA riots, says "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

Another says, "The criminals who terrorize our cities -- in riots and on every non-riot day -- are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are. As children, they are trained to hate whites, to believe that white oppression is responsible for all black ills, to 'fight the power,' to steal and loot as much money from the white enemy as possible."

In some excerpts, the reader may be led to believe the words are indeed from Paul, a resident of Lake Jackson, Texas. In the "Ron Paul Political Report" from October 1992, the writer describes carjacking as the "hip-hop thing to do among the urban youth who play unsuspecting whites like pianos."

The author then offers advice from others on how to avoid being carjacked, including "an ex-cop I know," and says, "I frankly don't know what to make of such advice, but even in my little town of Lake Jackson, Texas, I've urged everyone in my family to know how to use a gun in self defense. For the animals are coming."

In his interview with CNN, Paul said that's language he would never use. "People who know me, nobody is going to believe this," he said. "That's just not my language. It's not my life."

He added, "Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Ghandi, they're the heroes [of my life]."

Matt Welch, the editor-in-chief of "Reason" magazine who shares some of Paul's beliefs on big government, says he has never heard the congressman make racist comments like those in the newsletters.

"What I think some people are looking for him to do is to say, 'OK, who wrote that?' I mean, there's 20 years, give or take, worth of newsletters there," Welch said.

Paul said the editor of publications "is responsible for daily activities." But he also cited "transition" and "changes" and said that some people were hired to write stories "but I didn't know their names."

The presidential hopeful described the newsletter revelations as a "rehash" of old material dug up by his opponents because he is gaining ground with black voters due to his stance against the war in Iraq and the war on drugs.

"I am the anti-racist because I am the only candidate -- Republican or Democrat -- who would protect the minority against these vicious drug laws," he said.

"Libertarians are incapable of being a racist, because racism is a collectivist idea."[/QUOTE]

Aparrently, CNN has excerpts available for your reading (dis)pleasure here: [url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/index.html#cnnSTCOther1[/url]

Is the Revolution Over?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is somewhat old news (parts of these were reported on before) and somewhat new (apparently many more examples have been found). Either way, one pundit pegged it pretty well - the claim that he didn't write these may be true. But if it is, it's about as funny as Charles Barkley's claim that he was misquoted in his autobiography

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old. Someone bump the old thread, I don't have the search.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    they get deeper than that....

[url]http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=27860_Ron_Pauls_Old_Newsletter_Revealed&only[/url]

somewhere there is an actual link to the scanned newsletters...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2310492]Old. Someone bump the old thread, I don't have the search.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the CNN.com piece was reported today, about 20 minutes before I reported it here.

It may be an old story, but this is a fresh new article with apparently fresh new "evidence".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Warfish;2310691]Actually, the CNN.com piece was reported today, about 20 minutes before I reported it here.

It may be an old story, but this is a fresh new article with apparently fresh new "evidence".[/quote]

Like I said, its somewhat old and somewhat new. Essentially, they found a lot more of the newsletters had the crazy racist comments that the first one did. Makes it harder to believe it was a lone article or two that slipped by Paul. But the denial (and repudiation) from Paul is the same as it was, and for what its worth various libertarian bloggers who knew Paul when have said that Paul wrote about 50% of the stuff in his newsletters and Lew Rockwell wrote 80% of the rest.

Of course, even if you believe that Paul didn't write this stuff (and for whatever reason, I actually do) what does it say about him as (a) a judge of character (in picking the people he let put stuff out under his name) and (b) an astute, on the ball politician (you [B]cannot[/B] let this type of thing go on for very long without knowing about it without basically being an irresponsible idiot)?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2310704]Like I said, its somewhat old and somewhat new. Essentially, they found a lot more of the newsletters had the crazy racist comments that the first one did. Makes it harder to believe it was a lone article or two that slipped by Paul. But the denial (and repudiation) from Paul is the same as it was, and for what its worth various libertarian bloggers who knew Paul when have said that Paul wrote about 50% of the stuff in his newsletters and Lew Rockwell wrote 80% of the rest.

Of course, even if you believe that Paul didn't write this stuff (and for whatever reason, I actually do) what does it say about him as (a) a judge of character (in picking the people he let put stuff out under his name) and (b) an astute, on the ball politician (you [B]cannot[/B] let this type of thing go on for very long without knowing about it without basically being an irresponsible idiot)?[/QUOTE]
    He definitely made a big mistake in hiring that guy and not keeping a closer eye on the publications.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. He is perfect for the Republican candidacy then. This should help him win big in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, Montana and especially Idaho. This guy is Strom Thurmond reincarnate. Hallelujah!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2310793]Wow. He is perfect for the Republican candidacy then. This should help him win big in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, Montana and especially Idaho. This guy is Strom Thurmond reincarnate. Hallelujah![/QUOTE]

or a younger version of robert bryd....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some where in Flushing, flushingjet is having a chuckle at this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's pretty effed up...

and even if he didn't write the articles, he certainly had his name on the publication and it is no stretch to associate the articles with him...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2310793]Wow. He is perfect for the Republican candidacy then. This should help him win big in states like Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, Montana and especially Idaho. This guy is Strom Thurmond reincarnate. Hallelujah![/QUOTE]

LMAO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think libertarians concern themselves much about minorities and civil rights, anyway. This probably won't dent his support all that much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2310973]I don't think libertarians concern themselves much about minorities and civil rights, anyway. This probably won't dent his support all that much.[/QUOTE]

Who is more in favor of equal rights for everyone than libertarians?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2311019]Who is more in favor of equal rights for everyone than libertarians?[/QUOTE]

unbigoted libertarians.

BB, I don't think things "slip by" for decades, though. Do you? This isn't one or two "mistakes" in a few months. This is a lot of the same content, over the course of many years. Doesn't sound like a "mistake" to me. And I know it doesn't to you, either, if you'd be honest with yourself.

If I had a Jets5ever Newsletter that came out regularly and it contained these things, it's a reflection on my character, even if the actual words are written by someone else. It's irrelevant to me whether he actually wrote them.

"Libertarians are incapable of racism because racism is a collectivist idea." What a joke. Who talks or thinks like that?

This guy is a f*cking clown.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2310691]Actually, the CNN.com piece was reported today, about 20 minutes before I reported it here.

It may be an old story, but this is a fresh new article with apparently fresh new "evidence".[/QUOTE]

I wish someone who was a [B]legitimate[/B] candidate would talk about the federal Reserve System. Paul is a nut, but the Fed needs to be eliminated. Wonder why that isn't addressed by the "lap-dog" media?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2311113]unbigoted libertarians.

BB, I don't think things "slip by" for decades, though. Do you? This isn't one or two "mistakes" in a few months. This is a lot of the same content, over the course of many years. Doesn't sound like a "mistake" to me. And I know it doesn't to you, either, if you'd be honest with yourself.

If I had a Jets5ever Newsletter that came out regularly and it contained these things, it's a reflection on my character, even if the actual words are written by someone else. It's irrelevant to me whether he actually wrote them.

"Libertarians are incapable of racism because racism is a collectivist idea." What a joke. Who talks or thinks like that?

This guy is a f*cking clown.[/QUOTE]

5ever,

Totally agree on your take on this. The overall magnitude is too much to pooh pooh as mere oversight. Perhaps if he had taken issue with that content elsewhere, that would ameliorate the point. But the silence is deafening.

Not to pile on here, but I don't contend there is no such thing as unbigoted libertarians. Of course there are. My point is more general, that libertarians don't really care about other people's problems and concerns. They tend to be the "I've got mine, Jack" sort. Not that all others, from evangelicals on the right to bleeding heart liberals on the left, go around constantly concerned about the problems of other people, but they do tend to somewhat more recognize that society is something more than the sum of our individual parts.

And of course there are differences, both historical and theoretical, between civil liberties and civil rights. Ftr I support both. Just not to the exclusion of other concerns.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2311129]I wish someone who was a [B]legitimate[/B] candidate would talk about the federal Reserve System. Paul is a nut, but the Fed needs to be eliminated. Wonder why that isn't addressed by the "lap-dog" media?[/QUOTE]

It will always be an issue that some of the more interesting, and potentially benificial, "big change ideas" often come from fringe guys with little to no chance of actually being elected. Yes, I mock Paul (and I don't buy his excuses here for a milisecond btw), but I think he has SOME good, valid ideas woth exploring. if not in the form he puts them forth, in some alternate, more real-world form.

Trouble is, it's him who's bringing them forward, and he is both a far fringe guy, and now is apparently either incompetant, or racist, take your choice.....

But thats Politics. The usual winner is the one who is furthest from real progressive (and I don't mean that in the Liberal-Politics sense) change for the better. The Status Quo is a powerful thing, and is hard to beat, and no matter how much some may scream for change, the masses rarely do, even if they say otherwise.

My opinion, of course, nothing more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2311139]It will always be an issue that some of the more interesting, and potentially benificial, "big change ideas" often come from fringe guys with little to no chance of actually being elected. Yes, I mock Paul (and I don't buy his excuses here for a milisecond btw), but I think he has SOME good, valid ideas woth exploring. if not in the form he puts them forth, in some alternate, more real-world form.

Trouble is, it's him who's bringing them forward, and he is both a far fringe guy, and now is apparently either incompetant, or racist, take your choice.....

But thats Politics. The usual winner is the one who is furthest from real progressive (and I don't mean that in the Liberal-Politics sense) change for the better. The Status Quo is a powerful thing, and is hard to beat, and no matter how much some may scream for change, the masses rarely do, even if they say otherwise.

My opinion, of course, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post and very true. Its funny to watch the debates as people like Paul and Gravel bring up issues that make the others on stage cringe. Too much honesty for them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2311139]It will always be an issue that some of the more interesting, and potentially benificial, "big change ideas" often come from fringe guys with little to no chance of actually being elected. Yes, I mock Paul (and I don't buy his excuses here for a milisecond btw), but I think he has SOME good, valid ideas woth exploring. if not in the form he puts them forth, in some alternate, more real-world form.

My opinion, of course, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

I agree with War on Paul. He has some good things to say. I completely agree with his take on how W's Admin has gone way too far in diminishing our civil liberties. His criticisms of our involvement in Iraq are also apt. But he talks about those things at the same time he talks about all this off the wall stuff.

The usual winner point is also true, but someone was noting how the times that the public becomes ready for substantial change are when circumstances dictate that the status quo is broken and in need of subtsantial repair, or at least that most people, despite their inherent conservatism, see the need for that. This understanding of course applies to the American Revolution itself, the Civil War, the fight against trusts that Teddy Roosevelt led, the response to the Great Depression that FDR led, the disgust Americans eventually felt at Jim Crow after the experience of everyone pulling together in WWII, and the counter-reformation Reagan led as conventional liberalism grew tired during Carter's presidency.

That brings us to today. It's an open question whether circumstances have come close to any of those earlier historical periods. It is certainly debatable either way, although I certainly think we are.