Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: SC Debate (1/10/2008)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SC Debate (1/10/2008)

Ron Paul is a fool (it is so naive) ... he is making a total fool of himself in this debate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan;2310619]Ron Paul is a fool (it is so naive) ... he is making a total fool of himself in this debate[/QUOTE]

I am new to this forum, and I am partially new to politics, but the one part of Paul that impressed me was his ability to mention sound economics to explain a lot of his arguments behind the economy, particularly when he talked about the economic cycles and what would make a recession a depression...

It was textbook macroeconomics, which I believe every president should understand....

Trust me, I am no Paul supporter, but it stood out to me...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fred Thompson Won The Debate-best Line Of Night Was He Said Next Time Iraq Boat Threatens Destroyer They Will Be Seeing There "72 Virgins"- He Is The Only True Conservative Candidate..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about Paul, he could probably do alot for the economy, or atleast explain it well enough to the american people, haha, but otherwise the man is out there.
    Now I don't believe in the Racist nonsense coming out, I highly doubt those are, in any way, his words.
    He makes good points regarding terrorism, he makes Rudy look like a fool pretty often.
    But there's too much I disagree with him on to support him.
    That said, didn't watch the debate tonight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found the debate somewhat scary. McCain seems the most qualified but he looked tired and bored and he didn't really explain how cutting government spending would help pull us out of a recession. Thompson had some good moments but rambled and also came off as someone who's time had past. Ron Paul looked like he didn't have his hearing aid on or forgot to bring it? He had no clue what the questions were. I actually think Huckabee on balance came out the best and I didn't see anything out of him that qualifies him tp be the President. Rudy didn't have a bad night but he looked like he was following McCain like a lap dog most of the night. Romney pretty much is hated by the entire panel and it's starting to take its toll on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Paul didn't even show up on Fox for the Post Debate Interviews ... opportunity for free air time and he just "takes his tin foil hat and goes home" ... real mature and presidential?

re: Paul and his economics theories ... some may sound good in theory or in the classroom ... but not in reality. And why does every question he gets he goes off on his Iraq tangent?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the more i see the GOP field the more it seems a bunch of lambs to the slaughter... they are all deeply flawed in one way or another.

JMO the reason why the field is so weak is that it's gonna be tough for any post-bush GOP candidate to win in a national election, especially during a recession. there are better candidates out there but they aren't going to waste their time trying to win in 2008.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All candidates (on both sides) have their flaws.

I think Thompson and McCain are the best GOP candidates against Hillary (there biggest problem, IMO, is their energy level ... sometimes they seem to be on their game and other times not). Romney (inconsistent on his views and in a general election would get painted as an country club republican ... has alot of his own money and money raised ... but not the grassroots support) and Huckabee (I don't think Huckabee is tested when it comes to dealing with criticism) are the weakest. Rudy is somewhere in the middle (I think he has good leadership qualities but some baggage and his views are somewhat liberal ... which will hurt in getting the GOP base behind him ... which is important for getting volunteers, etc.). Each have issues with turning on or off certain parts of the voters (but Democrats have or will have those same issues).

[quote=bitonti;2310876]the more i see the GOP field the more it seems a bunch of lambs to the slaughter... they are all deeply flawed in one way or another.

JMO the reason why the field is so weak is that it's gonna be tough for any post-bush GOP candidate to win in a national election, especially during a recession. there are better candidates out there but they aren't going to waste their time trying to win in 2008.[/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=angry jets fan;2310901]All candidates (on both sides) have their flaws.

I think Thompson and McCain are the best GOP candidates against Hillary (there biggest problem, IMO, is their energy level ... sometimes they seem to be on their game and other times not). Romney (inconsistent on his views and in a general election would get painted as an country club republican ... has alot of his own money and money raised ... but not the grassroots support) and Huckabee (I don't think Huckabee is tested when it comes to dealing with criticism) are the weakest. Rudy is somewhere in the middle (I think he has good leadership qualities but some baggage and his views are somewhat liberal ... which will hurt in getting the GOP base behind him ... which is important for getting volunteers, etc.). Each have issues with turning on or off certain parts of the voters (but Democrats have or will have those same issues).[/QUOTE]

It's true that McCain and Thompson are the hardest ones to hang with Bush, which is what the dems are going to do to the GOP nominee. But Thompson is an awful candidate. He has no energy and just looks exhausted all the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was the debate on Fox?

I don't see why Dr. Paul should give Fox his time after they excluded him from the NH debate, even though he's gotten around 10% in both states so far (not sure about Wyoming since it was barely covered)

McCain can easily be tied to Bush as he has been closely associated with the guy since the Coup... and he somehow overlooked what W did to him in SC in 2000

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2310946]since the Coup[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping it to the GOP for the moment, while it is true all of them are flawed, one will emerge as the candidate. In this winnowing process, particularly looking at how things have been trending now, I think it likely, barring some freak turn of events, that it will be either McCain or Huckabee.

Romney is not out yet, and I do think he has some strengths, despite the fact my wife despises him as a transparent opportunist and flip flopper. But things are not going his way, for sure, and he has the smell of a dying candidacy about him.

Thompson never did really take off. I wouldn't be surprised if any day now he drops out.

Giuliani claims to be in it for the long haul, but again his trend is downward, and I see his campaign doing absolutely nothing to address the problems with his candidacy. Unless McCain stumbles, I don't see him getting back with an upswing of support.

That leaves McCain and Huckabee, and right now I wouldn't bet against or for either one against the other. They eerily parallel the way that Hillary and Obama divide the support on the other side, not that they are parallels of those two. For example, neither is the clear candidate of the party establishment the way Hillary is.

As a Democrat myself I started out thinking McCain was the more formidable opponent, but I also recognize he has substantial problems with the GOP base. Since then I see some other flaws coming out, like his nasty personality. He's certainly no Ronald Reagan in that regard. Maybe that doesnt bother GOP voters. More importantly I am not sure what core principles he is asserting, beyond the questionable solid support for staying the course indefinitely in Iraq, which I think even GOP voters are a bit squeamish about.

Huckabee's major problem as far as I can see is not secular voters looking askance at his religion. I think he has ways to defuse that, quite cleverly, imo. I think his tax proposal is off the wall. If he could either better explain that or compromise it somehow, he might be viewed as less a fringe candidate. On the other hand the guy has a singular ability to think and react on his feet, really in a way that comes across as better than anyone since Bill Clinton, or even Reagan before Clinton. Yes, I actually compared him to those two in that regard. To be specific, the specifics he recites in arguments with others in debates is not so telling as the fact that he does not get rattled and exudes confidence. It is inspiring. He is also mediagenic, which enables him to largely counter the problem of lack of money, so he still gets alot of air time.

In the crunch, though, despite the fact McCain is not the GOP establishment, I think the Wall Street wing of the party will choose him over Huckabee. Since I strongly believe the Wall Street types really control the GOP, or at least have during the W admin, it will be interesting to see my belief put to the test by Huckabee's candidacy. I really have no dog in this hunt, other than looking forward to eating some popcorn while watching this play out.

It's really the most fascinating GOP race since Goldwater v. Rockefeller.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

South Carolina Debate 1-10-08

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjhNa6PGLk[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There would be more incentive for peace in the middle east without any american involvement??

The arab states would have joined with Israel in 1990 to get Saddam out of Kuwait??

What is this lunatic smoking?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2313047]What is this lunatic smoking?[/QUOTE]

He is smoking open arms and flowers....