Thread: OT: the media and informal election polls

OT: the media and informal election polls

As I sit here bored at work, watching the various networks, something struck me and I wondered if anyone else was feeling like I do.
    For the first time in American history, we have a black and a woman who are legitimate contenders for the White House. When "man on the street" interviews are done, it seems a perfectlty acceptable response among blacks that Obama is their man because he is black, and among women, Hillary is their choice, because she is a woman. That's it...no discussion of platforms, no mention of their character, or experience...nope...the blacks like Obama because he is black and the women Hillary, because she is a woman. Why are these people not being taken to task? As a white male, if I said Edwards was my man because he is a white, I would have Sharpton marching on my front lawn.

Is there a more obvious double standard?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Absolutely correct....

Black folks are not the slightest bit self concious about it and neither are woman because the lib media doesnt challenge them on it...

This extends into music, entertainment etc.

THe white american male has been de-balled.

Thats why we all come here with our anonymous tough guy football talk...

In real life, we're a bunch of shirleys....

All Pro
    Buff, you are totally right.

It's such a bunch of crap. I've been actively looking into where the politicians stand on various issues and keeping up with the latest (a first for me!! ).

Hell, I've even starting perusing the political forum here!!

The point is, I want to be informed to the best of my ability before making a decision.

It shouldn't be "because he's black" or because "she's a woman".

if you are a jew and sam jewstein was running, youd vote for him

if you are a puerto rican and ricardo san juan was running youd vote for him

if marty lyons was running, youd vote for him

ok please move this to the politics section

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=dickkotite;2311098]

[/QUOTE]

Link?

Not only that but aren't having all these polls and reporting the results before an election in some way actually swaying people to vote one way or another?

It should just be who's running and their philosphy and plan and then let us decide by voting not being influenced by poll results.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=dickkotite;2311098]if you are a jew and sam jewstein was running, youd vote for him

if you are a puerto rican and ricardo san juan was running youd vote for him

ok please move this to the politics section[/QUOTE]

x

Obama is black?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    It's funny, I've been wondering... if hillary does win, will Bubba be called the "first lady"?

If not what?

And who gets to coin the term?

Perhaps we should start thinking about this now. We don't want to be unprepared when the time comes.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2311887]Obama is black?[/QUOTE]

edit...to many sensitive people around here...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 01-11-2008 at 10:24 PM.

[QUOTE=Buffboy;2311031]As I sit here bored at work, watching the various networks, something struck me and I wondered if anyone else was feeling like I do.
    For the first time in American history, we have a black and a woman who are legitimate contenders for the White House. When "man on the street" interviews are done, it seems a perfectlty acceptable response among blacks that Obama is their man because he is black, and among women, Hillary is their choice, because she is a woman. That's it...no discussion of platforms, no mention of their character, or experience...nope...the blacks like Obama because he is black and the women Hillary, because she is a woman. Why are these people not being taken to task? As a white male, if I said Edwards was my man because he is a white, I would have Sharpton marching on my front lawn.

Is there a more obvious double standard?[/QUOTE]

This post is based on nothing.

Where are these black people saying they are voting for Obama only because he is black? In Iowa, where he won? The state is 95% white. In NH, basically the same demographics as Iowa?

Please, other than a few whacked-out activists maybe, nobody is saying they are voting for anyone strictly because of race or gender. Nobody at all.

If you want to make a post like this, find an example of somebody doing the behavior you are criticizing. Otherwise the whole excercise is worthless moaning about some imagined straw man.

[QUOTE=CTM;2311900]It's funny, I've been wondering... if hillary does win, will Bubba be called the "first lady"?

If not what?

And who gets to coin the term?

Perhaps we should start thinking about this now. We don't want to be unprepared when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

Bill said he liked "First Laddie."

Undrafted Free Agent
    Well Bill just loves the publicity
    As you can tell. Most Presidents that are out
    Of the spotlight, but Bill seems to love being the
    Center of attention.