Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Chelsea signs Anelka

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Chelsea signs Anelka

http://foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659...-29437,00.html

Chelsea, Bolton agree Anelka deal

From correspondents in London

January 12, 2008 BOLTON Wanderers striker Nicolas Anelka is joining Chelsea after the two clubs announced they had agreed a deal on the widely travelled France international.

A statement on Chelsea's website said: "Chelsea Football Club and Bolton Wanderers can confirm that terms have been agreed between the clubs for the transfer of Nicolas Anelka.''

Anelka has joined the London club - his fifth Premiership side - on a four-and-a-half year deal worth almost £15 million ($A32.9 million), Sky Sports reported.

Blues boss Avram Grant, who hopes that Anelka will agree personal terms in time for Saturday's clash with Tottenham, said: "It is not a secret that I was looking for one more striker to add to the squad and he is a good striker.''

Chelsea are without Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, who are away at the African Nations Cup, while Andriy Shevchenko has an ankle injury.

Anelka has had a reputation for being a temperamental player who can make life awkward for managers, but Israeli boss Grant was confident the gifted forward would settle in at Stamford Bridge.

"If I was not convinced about that, we would not be trying to bring him here. He is a good finisher but he not only scores goals he gives assists and is a good football player with pace."

And Gary Megson, who became Bolton's manager in October, said Anelka no longer deserved to be dubbed 'Le Sulk'.

"All the things I had read and heard about Nicolas Anelka before I came to this football club are completely untrue as far as I'm concerned," he said.

"He has been terrific in training, in games and off the field as well. Chelsea have a great squad, they're in the Champions League, and Nic will be an asset to them.''

Not long after Arsene Wenger took over at Arsenal he brought compatriot Anelka, then a youth player at Paris St Germain, to north London and then saw the forward help the Gunners complete the 'Double' in the 1997-1998 season with the striker scoring in the FA Cup final win over Newcastle.

But soon afterwards, Anelka, whose brothers were said to be behind many of his reportedly excessive wage demands, saw his relationship with Wenger deteoriate and he was sold to Real Madrid in 1999.

"It is my biggest regret that he moved at that time because I felt he was a star here,'' Wenger said.

"When he left he was a regular member in the French squad. He moved to Real Madrid, Thierry Henry moved here.

"Thierry played in the 2000 European Championships - and Nicolas did not. I still believe at that time it was a big mistake, that move.''

Anelka, who signed a new four-year deal with Bolton in August after joining from Turkish club Fenerbahce, has scored 11 goals in 22 games this season.

The 28-year-old has also played for Liverpool and Manchester City in the Premier League and won the Champions League while at Real.
    I used to hate his guts, but he's turned into somewhat of a team player. Hugely talented, and if used correctly could tear things up. It will be interesting to see what happens when Drogba comes back (if he blows up because he's on the bench).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    http://foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659...-29437,00.html

I used to hate his guts, but he's turned into somewhat of a team player. Hugely talented, and if used correctly could tear things up. It will be interesting to see what happens when Drogba comes back (if he blows up because he's on the bench).
    Hugely talented, and still very immature. He'll disappoint again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryBadway View Post
    Hugely talented, and still very immature. He'll disappoint again.
    A year or 2 ago I would've agreed. He has changed a lot lately. He's much less of a troublemaker, and with the Euro around the corner he's in the running for a spot on the national team. In 98 he wasn't taken because of his attitude. If he has any brain at all, he'll shut up, and play his ass off.

We'll see.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was having a great season at Bolton before he got transferred. I think they are going to ditch Drogba this summer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    He was having a great season at Bolton before he got transferred. I think they are going to ditch Drogba this summer.
    Drogba wants out so I wouldn't be surprised either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drogba wants out so I wouldn't be surprised either.
    Chelsea is pushing Drogba for Messi or Drogba for Kaka swap. I don't think Barca or Milan are going for that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryBadway View Post
    Chelsea is pushing Drogba for Messi or Drogba for Kaka swap. I don't think Barca or Milan are going for that.
    I think they'd be crazy to go for that. Specially Barça considering he is about 8-9 years younger than Drogba, and you could make a case for Messi being the most valuable player right now

But I think a swap with Ronaldinho may be possible if they sweeten the deal with some money

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I think they'd be crazy to go for that. Specially Barça considering he is about 8-9 years younger than Drogba, and you could make a case for Messi being the most valuable player right now

But I think a swap with Ronaldinho may be possible if they sweeten the deal with some money
    Cool avatar

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool avatar

Thanks mate

http://www.yuruyedur.com/

These guys were a group from the Ali Sami Yen (Galatasaray) terraces

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mate

http://www.yuruyedur.com/

These guys were a group from the Ali Sami Yen (Galatasaray) terraces
    American sports lack bengal fires. It would be cool to see a few go off after a TD. I guess it's either beer or bengal fires. Can't have both.

Are you Turkish born, or American living in Turkey?

I visited Istanbul a few years back and loved it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    American sports lack bengal fires. It would be cool to see a few go off after a TD. I guess it's either beer or bengal fires. Can't have both.

Are you Turkish born, or American living in Turkey?

I visited Istanbul a few years back and loved it.
    Fully Turkish born and bred I just lived in New York in the early 90's that's where I got this Jets thing going...

You would know being from France that you can't compare the american sports experience with going to a match in Europe, it's not just the flares and stuff but the average american fan is treated and acts too much like a customer which is understandable considering the teams are "franchises" that aim to make profits whereas if anyone called us "customers" in Turkey it would be one hell of an insult.

Thanks Istanbul is a nice place to visit (not so much to live though) I also lived in strasbourg for a year but not a big fan it. Paris was great of course.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fully Turkish born and bred I just lived in New York in the early 90's that's where I got this Jets thing going...

You would know being from France that you can't compare the american sports experience with going to a match in Europe, it's not just the flares and stuff but the average american fan is treated and acts too much like a customer which is understandable considering the teams are "franchises" that aim to make profits whereas if anyone called us "customers" in Turkey it would be one hell of an insult.

Thanks Istanbul is a nice place to visit (not so much to live though) I also lived in strasbourg for a year but not a big fan it. Paris was great of course.
    Franchising is the big difference indeed.

Strasbourg does blow.