Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Edwards' Daughter Hit by Drunk Driver" -- CNN.com

"Edwards' Daughter Hit by Drunk Driver" -- CNN.com

[QUOTE]January 14, 2008
    Edwards' daughter hit by drunk driver
    Posted: 04:10 PM ET

Cate Edwards was involved in a car accident Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) Democrat John Edwards said Monday his daughter Cate is doing fine after she was involved in a car accident over the weekend that was reportedly caused by a drunk driver.

"I talked to Cate last night, she was hit from behind, I think by a drunk driver, and any other details, they'll have to tell you," Edwards said while campaigning in South Carolina. "I don't know much more beyond that. But she's doing fine."

According to CNN affiliate WTVD, Cate Edwards's car was struck from behind in Chapel Hill, North Carolina Friday afternoon by a man who was driving at twice the legal blood-alcohol limit.

More than $2,000 worth of damage was caused to Edwards' 2007 Ford.

John Edwards is currently in a campaign swing through South Carolina ahead of that state's January 26 Democratic primary.

Edwards' campaign described the accident as "minor."[/QUOTE]

I found two interesting lines in this article:

"I don't know much more beyond that."

And the Fact that the Edwards drive a Ford of all things. Makes one wonder what model it may be, SUV or other.

And of course, I'm glad to hear the accident was a minor one. Not all are so lucky in encountering drunk drivers, in either America.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh, I thought this was about Herman Edwards.

I hope Dubya wasn't driving.

Glad she's ok.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2316836]Glad she's ok.[/QUOTE]

ditto, that family has had a rough time.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2316805]And the Fact that the Edwards drive a Ford of all things. Makes one wonder what model it may be, SUV or other.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=5889905[/url]

[QUOTE]According to Chapel Hill Police investigators, Edwards was driving a [B]2007 Ford Sedan [/B]when she slowed down at a red light and was rear-ended by a woman driving a 1989 Toyota.[/QUOTE]

The drunk was driving a Toyota. Everybody who drives a Toyota is a raving alcoholic drunk.

;)

Some candidates take time to be with their family during tough times

not John edwards

[QUOTE=bitonti;2317440]Some candidates take time to be with their family during tough times

not John edwards[/QUOTE]

There is always one poster who does not show class

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2317456]There is always one poster who does not show class[/QUOTE]

It was pretty pathetic that he only knew minimal details of an accident three days prior involving his daughter.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2317456]There is always one poster who does not show class[/QUOTE]

Bit has no cred here. Or anywhere else, probably.

John Edwards dragging his dying wife around the country, now that's classy.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2316696]Calling someone names does not show intelligence.

Your post is also off base since my point was not that I was being personally attacked, but that pigeonholing Krugman served as a way to avoid discussing the substance of what he said.

What is really the point of posting here if people you disagree with respond to any point with "Why should I talk about what he said? He's just a _________, and those people never have anything worth responding to?"

Come to think of it, that probably represents about 90% of what goes on here.

Since no one else seems capable of focusing on the substance of Krugman's column, I will attempt to do so, without namecalling.

He starts out by noting that adverse developments in the economy are only now beginning to be noted by the candidates, excepting John Edwards, who did so several weeks ago by broaching a comprehensive proposal.

He then goes down the list of the candidates and notes who has said and proposed what about the economy. He then notes that Clinton essentially adopted Edwards's proposal, while Obama essentially says his earlier tax policies, designed for a different purpose, that is general tax reform, will also address the recent developments in the economy. He then contends that Obama is proposing, again, something to the right of what Edwards and Clinton have proposed, all the while claiming the mantle of the progressive in the Democratic race.

See, not a single use of namecalling, or ad hominem attack. It can be done here.[/QUOTE]
    Is this not considered "namecalling" or a personal attack?
    [QUOTE=Big Blocker;2317521]Bit has no cred here. Or anywhere else, probably.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bitonti;2317524]John Edwards dragging his dying wife around the country, now that's classy.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here. I am surprised he hasnt tried to use his daughter's misfortune to his advantage yet.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2317524]John Edwards dragging his dying wife around the country, now that's classy.[/QUOTE]

Here is where ignorance comes into play. But, hey, why let the facts get in the way of what you want to believe. The people in the media that you [B]follow[/B] tell you he is a phony.....so it must be true.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/22/edwards.2008/index.html[/url]

Elizabeth Edwards, 57, said she was "incredibly optimistic" and said her expectations about the future were unchanged.

"I expect to do next week all the things I did last week. And the week after that, and next year at the same time," she said.

And she wanted her husband to continue his run for the presidency. (Watch the couple explain future plans )

[B]Elizabeth Edwards played a key role in convincing her husband to continue his campaign[/B], a source close to both John and Elizabeth Edwards told CNN's Candy Crowley.

"[B]Elizabeth is not going to let him get out,[/B]" the friend told Crowley before the Edwards news conference.

The article has many quotes directly from Mrs. edwards. Now lets invent a reason to not believe quotes directly from Mrs. Edwards. I'm sure you'll respond to this with a quote from an article in Forbes magazine stating that John Edwards told her "I am pushing on and get me a beer". According to some posters on this site poor companies, such as ExxonMobile, have been treated unfairly and the bad guys are the greedy working class. Welcome to bizzarro world!
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-15-2008 at 09:57 AM.

she's a nice lady, nicer than her husband but let's get real it's a tragic situation on wheels. she can be optimistic and that's great but cancer doesn't come back again and again unless it's pretty damn serious.

and as much as I liked Michael Douglas' performance in The American President im not sure I want to live through the death of the first lady and the requistite 'dating a president' stories to follow.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2317570]Here is where ignorance comes into play. But, hey, why let the facts get in the way of what you want to believe. The people in the media that you [B]follow[/B] tell you he is a phony.....so it must be true.

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, we are all too stupid to see that he is a phony unless the media tells us so. :rolleyes:

Another diversion tactic by a supporter of a sinking presidential candidate. Actually quite insulting on your part to say the only reason some of us feel this way is because of the media. Very arrogant, but that is unfortunately par for the course for you guys.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2317599]and as much as I liked Michael Douglas' performance in The American President im not sure I want to live through the death of the first lady and the requistite 'dating a president' stories to follow.[/QUOTE]

I loved that movie. Such a chick-flick, I know, but eh.:D

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2317608]Yeah, we are all too stupid to see that he is a phony unless the media tells us so. :rolleyes:

Another diversion tactic by a supporter of a sinking presidential candidate. Actually quite insulting on your part to say the only reason some of us feel this way is because of the media. Very arrogant, but that is unfortunately par for the course for you guys.[/QUOTE]

or as insulting as some of you pretending to know what discussions went on between The Edwards' after she was diagnosed with cancer? Very arrogant to assume that. But that is par for the course in the 'reality TV' age of journalism.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2317620]or as insulting as some of you pretending to know what discussions went on between The Edwards' after she was diagnosed with cancer? Very arrogant to assume that. But that is par for the course in the 'reality TV' age of journalism.[/QUOTE]

I believe the term is "speculation". Something we all engage in in here, often.

I mean, you don't actually think every word you or I post is pure fact, do you? You also do not assume that saying something publicly (as Ms. Edwards did) neccessarily means she is "speaking from the heart" of her true feelings, do you? That is putting alot of faith in the words of a Politicians wife during a campign.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2317440]Some candidates take time to be with their family during tough times

not John edwards[/QUOTE]

Never let your family interfere with what's really important(unless they've had cancer and can present a sympathetic figure who will fight your battles for you)