Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Dominance in Science and Technology at Risk, Report Says

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

U.S. Dominance in Science and Technology at Risk, Report Says

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/science/15cnd-nsf.html?hp"]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/science/15cnd-nsf.html?hp[/URL]

The United States remains the world leader in scientific and technological innovation, but its dominance is threatened by economic development elsewhere, particularly in Asia, the National Science Board said on Tuesday in its biennial report on science and engineering.

The country’s position is especially delicate, the agency said, given its reliance on foreign-born workers to fill technical jobs.

The board is the oversight agency for the National Science Foundation, the nation’s leading source of funds for basic research in the physical sciences.

The report, available at [url]www.nsf.gov/statistics/indicators[/url], recommends increased financing for basic research and greater “intellectual interchange” between researchers in academia and industry. The board also called for better efforts to track the globalization of manufacturing and services in the high-tech sector, and their implications for the American economy.

Over all, it said, surveys of science and mathematics education are both “disappointing and encouraging.” Fourth- and eighth-grade students in all ethnic groups showed improvement in math, the report said, but progress in science is far less robust. And knowledge gaps persist between demographic groups, with European- and Asian-Americans scoring higher than students from other groups.

Many Americans remain ignorant about much of science, the board said; for example, many are unable to answer correctly when asked if the Earth moves around the Sun (it does). But they are not noticeably more ignorant than people in other developed countries except on two subjects: evolution and the Big Bang. Although these ideas are organizing principles underlying modern biology and physics, many Americans do not accept them.

“These differences probably indicate that many Americans hold religious beliefs that cause them to be skeptical of established scientific ideas,” the report said, “even when they have some basic familiarity with those ideas.”

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course. Asian people are smarter then Americans. It was bound to happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2318349][B]“These differences probably indicate that many Americans hold religious beliefs that cause them to be skeptical of established scientific ideas,” [/B]the report said, “even when they have some basic familiarity with those ideas.”[/QUOTE]
    What is this nonsense? The Times is more ridiculous than usual. No wonder readership and reputation is tanking/tanked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]What is this nonsense? The Times is more ridiculous than usual. No wonder readership and reputation is tanking/tanked.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense? According to a 2005 CBS News poll, 51% of Americans reject evolution and believe that God created humans in their present form.

[URL="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/opinion/polls/main965223.shtml"]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/opinion/polls/main965223.shtml[/URL]

It really is sad how our society is still so backwards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just read some of this stuff
    The 100 Greatest Quotes from Fundamentalist Christian Chat Rooms

[url]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:http%3A//www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx%3Farchive%3D1[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2318529]Just read some of this stuff

[url]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:http%3A//www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx%3Farchive%3D1[/url][/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO! What a great website.

[QUOTE]Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

[B]Just wow.[/B]

I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!

[B]Her son has a career as a preacher in front of him! Why is she worried?[/B]

[about a girl being born with mental disabilities]

This girl is like a leper so what she needs to do is try and find god

if she really believes she can be healed from this state, she will be healed from this state

[I]Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb.[/I] If she can repent for what she does god will embrace her and make her as human as you or me but if she chooses not to she'll always be like this

god tests every one of us

Unbelievable...

There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least.

[B]Sounds about right.[/B] [/QUOTE]

Yup. Those Christians. Regular f*cking scientists...:rolleyes:

I'm sure that there are just as many dumb atheists out there...but at least, for the most part, they don't pretend like they know everything about how the world was created. It takes a very special kind of fool to think they understand how the entire universe was formed...
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-16-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Education is key if the U.S. is to maintain its lead. I'm not talking about just dumping more $ into the education system. We need to incent kids to want to study math and science. The internet startup craze has been wonderful, as there has been pretty good linkage between developing a new technical product and getting wealthy.

Incentives are the key.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LyonMtJet;2319041]Education is key if the U.S. is to maintain its lead.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Knowledge is power. And maybe an incentive for kids to persue technical careers would be to pay scientists et al decent wages. Where's the incentive to be a scientist making $43k a year instead of a lawyer or on Wall Street making $430k a year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is utterly hilarious Plumber. Really amazingly funny IMO.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with our sorry government-run education system, the effect of powerful and counter-productive teachers unions, and utter breakdown of the family unit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2318529]Just read some of this stuff

[url]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:http%3A//www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx%3Farchive%3D1[/url][/QUOTE]

It's amazing how stupid people can be.

Here are some of my favorites:

[QUOTE]Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!

EnemyPartyII[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]A woman for president is a bad idea. Hillary for president is even worse. Do you think America never had a woman for president by coincidence?

[You can transfer that logic to black people, seeing as there's been no black presidents - Anyway it's incredibly insensitive, stupid and unbased.]

As stupid as you think it sounds I totally agree. Blacks should not ever be in positions of power. They should be suppressed back in to slavery.

bricks00usa[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The word of God has been in heaven forever. The KJV has always been there. The so called Hebrew words like Alleluia are English words. The English did not borrow them from the Hebrew but rather the Hebrew borrowed them from the English. If the KJV has always been there and is the original word of God then there is no other conclusion. The same can be said for any so called Greek words that were borrowed from the Greek or [I]transliterated[/I]. It is a matter of what bias you approach this particular subject.

Donskey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]all the evolutionists, tell me something. i know how the big bang "has happened, but tell me, wouldnt an explosion, especially one that size, take away life instead of allow it? think about it.

ex: the a-bomb, the h-bomb, grenades, cannon balls (when fired from a cannon of course), mines, rocket launchers, and anything and everything in between. they all have taken lives.

Agaro[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Jesus is not a Jew. Jesus was Jewish.

awesomelegend[/QUOTE]

And finally my favorite one of all.........
    [QUOTE]You got it backwards.

Creationism is based upon science, reason and tons of evidence.

Evolution is based on the blind acceptance of superstitions and fairy tales.

CRASH[/QUOTE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2319061]This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with our sorry government-run education system, the effect of powerful and counter-productive teachers unions, and utter breakdown of the family unit.[/QUOTE]

That certainly has it's fair share of blame to accept as well, no doubt. But to discount the role of extreme Religion, and it's aversion to science and love of literal biblical interpretation, is quite naive my friend.

While the quotes posted through this thread are indeed funny, they ring far too familiar to things I've heard many of my fellow Americans say often, always based in faith. Religion is not about finding answers through exploration. It's about memorizing current dogma and trying to make the world (and science) fit that dogma, regardless of how impossible that may be.

After all, Gravity doesn't exist. Sin makes things heavy.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2319061]This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with our sorry government-run education system, the effect of powerful and counter-productive teachers unions, and utter breakdown of the family unit.[/QUOTE]

Really??
    Maybe you havent noticed, but the education systems in those countries kicking our a$$ are also government-run. The problem is the lack of value placed on education by our society. Educated people in this country do not receive the same respect/stature as say athletes, celebrities, and the wealthy. Americans place more value on making alot of money rather than becoming a well rounded educated individual. Kids see going to school as simply a means to make more cash and if there are ways to make more cash w/o going to school they prefer that route. Another problem is the breakdown of the family that creates an unnecesary strain. If parents dont value education and are not active participants in their childs education, the kids wont care.

Privitizing education will do jack $hit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2319156]That certainly has it's fair share of blame to accept as well, no doubt. But to discount the role of extreme Religion, and it's aversion to science and love of literal biblical interpretation, is quite naive my friend.

While the quotes posted through this thread are indeed funny, they ring far too familiar to things I've heard many of my fellow Americans say often, always based in faith. Religion is not about finding answers through exploration. It's about memorizing current dogma and trying to make the world (and science) fit that dogma, regardless of how impossible that may be.

After all, Gravity doesn't exist. Sin makes things heavy.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

People that stupid wouldn't succeed in science, regardless of religion's role in their lives. You are also fairly biased against religion and your characterization of it as memorization is ignorant, spectacularly so.

Besides, the US has [I]always[/I] been a highly religious society with a majority-Christian population. Yet we have also consistently led the entire world in science and technological innovation. Yet now, we appear to be llsing that lead. Are you contending that the US is significantly more religious now than it was generations ago? I don't think so. I think it's less so, to be honest. And also, why are Jesuits and other parochial schools some of the best schools in the country, including mathematics and sciences? Why are Jesuits famous for being amazing educators, if religion and science are so at odds with one another.

You just have a hard-on for religion, as many others do. Anyone can go find posts from idiots on the web. It's not difficult. I highly doubt those posters who wrote those things, if they are a sincere representation of their true feelings/thoughts, would have excelled at biochemistry, if not for Jesus. I think that's a tought sell.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2319178]Really??
    Maybe you havent noticed, but the education systems in those countries kicking our a$$ are also government-run. The problem is the lack of value placed on education by our society. Educated people in this country do not receive the same respect/stature as say athletes, celebrities, and the wealthy. Americans place more value on making alot of money rather than becoming a well rounded educated individual. Kids see going to school as simply a means to make more cash and if there are ways to make more cash w/o going to school they prefer that route. Another problem is the breakdown of the family that creates an unnecesary strain. If parents dont value education and are not active participants in their childs education, the kids wont care.

Privitizing education will do jack $hit.[/QUOTE]

Privatizing education would do wonders.

I agree with you on the second part though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2319185]People that stupid wouldn't succeed in science, regardless of religion's role in their lives. You are also fairly biased against religion and your characterization of it as memorization is ignorant, spectacularly so.[/quote]

I hate to remind you my friend, but I was raised for 20 years as a Roman Catholic, educated as such via their CCD programs and Confirmed into the Church. To imply I don;t know what I'm talking about is the ignorant thing here, as I can ssure you, I experienced everything possible within the Catholic Church in my years in it.

You may not like or agree my viewpoint on it, based on my direct experience, but that does not make it "ignorant".

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2319185]Are you contending that the US is significantly more religious now than it was generations ago? I don't think so. I think it's less so, to be honest. [/quote]

Of course you feel that way, you are religious and feel that criticism of your faith is a direct assult on you, regardless of accuracy or validity of the claim.

And my answer is yes, in a way. We are not "more religious" in general than previous generations, quite the opposite in fact. However I believe we are much more extreme in our religious fervor and the extremity of beliefs than at any time since the earliest days of puritanism. Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity is not called that because it's lighthearted and mild, open to new ideas or beliefs.

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2319185]And also, why are Jesuits and other parochial schools some of the best schools in the country, including mathematics and sciences?[/quote]

Funding? Abillity to select (and remove) Students? Generally higher wealth of the families of it's Students?

You may as well ask why so many private religious schools have such amazingly good High School sports teams too.....are you telling me the religious are better at football and basketball than the non-religious?

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2319185]You just have a hard-on for religion, as many others do. Anyone can go find posts from idiots on the web. It's not difficult. I highly doubt those posters who wrote those things, if they are a sincere representation of their true feelings/thoughts, would have excelled at biochemistry, if not for Jesus. I think that's a tought sell.[/QUOTE]

You may think it a tought sell, and you may not care that such ignorance exists in the faith community, or even admit it does.

But again, in my experience, this kind of willful disavowmnet of science is common in the most religious people I have met in life.

I don't have a "hardon" for religion. I simply find it to be a silly fiction, a crutch for human psychology, and while often a good teacher of general morallity, it is equally a teacher of rote memorization, dogma, lack of exploration, or of questioning, corrupt, and counter to the goals of scientific enlightenment.

Don't blame me my friend. Roman Catholicism made me what I am today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2319039]ROTFLMAO! What a great website.
    QUOTE]

Your not kidding. This is too funny.

How can anyone beleive we evolved from monkeys heres a few questions for people who beleive that

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys*****

2.Even Darwin said his theories were wrong before he died so why do you still believe them

3.do you really not believe the bible it says we were created in seven days not millions of years

4.how come we cant speak monkey *******

Just for a fact ape like creatures are monkeys Just in case certain people get on this thread

coolstylinstud, Christian Forums [Comments (125)] [2005-Jul-03]

*******Winner!
    Last edited by chicadeel; 01-16-2008 at 10:52 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chicadeel;2319226][QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2319039]ROTFLMAO! What a great website.
    QUOTE]

Your not kidding. This is too funny.

How can anyone beleive we evolved from monkeys heres a few questions for people who beleive that

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys*****

2.Even Darwin said his theories were wrong before he died so why do you still believe them

3.do you really not believe the bible it says we were created in seven days not millions of years

4.how come we cant speak monkey *******

Just for a fact ape like creatures are monkeys Just in case certain people get on this thread

coolstylinstud, Christian Forums [Comments (125)] [2005-Jul-03]

*******Winner![/QUOTE]

Youre right. We are all descendants of Adam's rib:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2319221]

Funding? Abillity to select (and remove) Students? Generally higher wealth of the families of it's Students?

.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And this why J5E is wrong when he says the solution to our nation's education woes are simply to privitize education. The reasons private schools do so well is b/c of there ablity to select students and b/c of the resources available to them allowing them to have smaller class sizes and all the extras that the public schools cant afford. Kids whose parents are willing to/able to pay a few thousand dollars a year for JHS/HS are naturally going to be more actively involved in their childs education and show more interest in it. Lets see how well private schools do when they accept kids from broken homes, recent immigrants, kids with criminal records and when the class size baloons to 40+

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2319243][QUOTE=chicadeel;2319226]

Youre right. We are all descendants of Adam's rib:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That was from the website. Just in case you misunderstood.

Anyway, thanks for making it even funnier.