Thread: "Limbaugh twice used word "spade" during discussion of Obama" -- Media Matters

"Limbaugh twice used word "spade" during discussion of Obama" -- Media Matters

[QUOTE]"Limbaugh twice used word "spade" during discussion of Obama"

[url]http://mediamatters.org/items/200801150021?f=s_search[/url]

Summary: One week after claiming that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's suggestion that Sen. Barack Obama "has not done the kind of spadework" that Clinton has done was "not coincidental," Rush Limbaugh returned to the subject on his January 14 show. While discussing Obama, Limbaugh twice used the word "spade," which can be used as a racial slur. Specifically, Limbaugh said that "Obama is holding his own against both of them [Bill and Hillary Clinton], doing more than his share of the 'spadework,' maybe even gaining ground at the moment, using not only the spade, ladies and gentlemen. But when he finishes with the spade in the garden of corruption planted by the Clintons, he turns to the hoe. And so the spadework and his expertise, using a hoe. He's faring well." "Spadework" is a common term among political figures and the media. [/QUOTE]

Is Limbaughs use racist or in some other way offensive?

If not, why is there a piece from Media Matters on it?

[QUOTE]Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.[/QUOTE]

[quote=Warfish;2319500]Is Limbaughs use racist or in some other way offensive?

If not, why is there a piece from Media Matters on it?[/quote]

I don't think so, and there shouldn't be. I think Limbaugh was just mocking Hillary's use of the term (hence the "his specialty, the hoe" line)

All League
    Good thing Rush didn't throw the term "knappy head" in there. He'd be Sharptoned.

Veteran
    I'm sure Limbaugh meant nothing by it -- probably just had a bit too much medication before the show.

Or maybe he just wants to remind people that Obama is a scary black man.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2319528]I don't think so, and there shouldn't be. I think Limbaugh was just mocking Hillary's use of the term (hence the "his specialty, the hoe" line)[/QUOTE]

The "hoe" line was pretty clever. I think he was probably trying to provoke a response from the "Media Matters" of the world, and they took the bait.