Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huckabee wants to change the constitution, Why? Because "God" is not happy with it

Huckabee wants to change the constitution, Why? Because "God" is not happy with it

Sorry if this was posted here already.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onHkywYc_1M&eurl=http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/14244.html[/url]

[QUOTE]"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view." [/QUOTE]

Huckabee also wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens - a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.

wow :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Is there an idiot factory in Hope, Arkansas?

I just really don't get the whole gay marriage, constitutional amending issue. If there is one issue that makes no difference in my life, it is whether Neal and Bob are married.

As a Huckabee supporter, I'm appalled. I'm hoping you can just chalk this up to campaign inexperience and general fatigue, i.e. Huckabee thinking he needs to say this to pander to this group of people to get their votes. I mean, the audience went wild so it was only encouraging feedback for him.

[quote=pauliec;2321032]As a Huckabee supporter, I'm appalled. I'm hoping you can just chalk this up to campaign inexperience and general fatigue, i.e. Huckabee thinking he needs to say this to pander to this group of people to get their votes. I mean, the audience went wild so it was only encouraging feedback for him.[/quote]

I've got to wonder how you can still be a Huckabee supporter after this, Paulie. I don't care which of his political positions you like, how do you vote for someone for President who wants to "amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards"

That's so dangerous and deranged it immediately disqualifies him as a candidate, IMO - the same way Ron Paul's newsletters disqualify Paul.

Hall Of Fame
    Nominating Huckabee would be a DISASTER for the GOP. He is the worst candidate out there, Dem or GOP and that is an amazing thing to write about a field that includes John Edwards.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2321072]I've got to wonder how you can still be a Huckabee supporter after this, Paulie. I don't care which of his political positions you like, how do you vote for someone for President who wants to "amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards"

That's so dangerous and deranged it immediately disqualifies him as a candidate, IMO - the same way Ron Paul's newsletters disqualify Paul.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said I'm appalled. That's absolutely outrageous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2321714]That's why I said I'm appalled. That's absolutely outrageous.[/QUOTE]

Why? Are you any more offended that Dwight Eisenhower and the 1954 Congress wrote a law to add [I]Under God[/I] to the Pledge of Allegiance? Eisenhower said at the signing ceremony:

[I]"From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty. To anyone who truly loves America, nothing could be more inspiring than to contemplate this rededication of our youth, on each school morning, to our country's true meaning.

Especially is this meaningful as we regard today's world. Over the globe, mankind has been cruelly torn by violence and brutality and, by the millions, deadened in mind and soul by a materialistic philosophy of life. Man everywhere is appalled by the prospect of atomic war. In this somber setting, this law and its effects today have profound meaning. In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war." [/I]

This kind of god politics has gone on since the beginning of the USA. It's less politically correct nowadays, and I suspect that's the source of your aversion to it.

But it's not much different than history.

For the record: I'm an Atheist. I like Mike Huckabee, and I am not afraid of him. If he's elected, I'll speak out vociforously against any constitutional amendment regarding marriage.

[QUOTE=rbstern;2323600]Why? Are you any more offended that Dwight Eisenhower and the 1954 Congress wrote a law to add [I]Under God[/I] to the Pledge of Allegiance? Eisenhower said at the signing ceremony:

[I]"From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty. To anyone who truly loves America, nothing could be more inspiring than to contemplate this rededication of our youth, on each school morning, to our country's true meaning.

Especially is this meaningful as we regard today's world. Over the globe, mankind has been cruelly torn by violence and brutality and, by the millions, deadened in mind and soul by a materialistic philosophy of life. Man everywhere is appalled by the prospect of atomic war. In this somber setting, this law and its effects today have profound meaning. In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war." [/I]

This kind of god politics has gone on since the beginning of the USA. It's less politically correct nowadays, and I suspect that's the source of your aversion to it.

But it's not much different than history.

For the record: I'm an Atheist. I like Mike Huckabee, and I am not afraid of him. If he's elected, I'll speak out vociforously against any constitutional amendment regarding marriage.[/QUOTE]

Ike didn't promise to change the constitution, as if it were written on a driveway with sidewalk chalk, to better fit the ideals of Christ.

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2321233]Nominating Huckabee would be a DISASTER for the GOP. He is the worst candidate out there, Dem or GOP and that is an amazing thing to write about a field that includes John Edwards.[/QUOTE]

but 5ever he's got Chuck Norris! :D

All League
    [QUOTE=WJGC;2320985]I just really don't get the whole gay marriage, constitutional amending issue. If there is one issue that makes no difference in my life, it is whether Neal and Bob are married.[/QUOTE]

Do you have children?

Wait until they come home and tell you they learned about "my two mommies", or "my two daddies" in school....Then you will realize how it affects your life.

What two people do in their own bedrooms is NONE of my business however, when they start waving rainbow flags and try to teach MY children that it is normal, it becomes MY problem.

[QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2323846]Do you have children?

Wait until they come home and tell you they learned about "my two mommies", or "my two daddies" in school....Then you will realize how it affects your life.

What two people do in their own bedrooms is NONE of my business however, when they start waving rainbow flags and try to teach MY children that it is normal, it becomes MY problem.[/QUOTE]

Some kids would be better off with two mommies or daddies then the parents they have now. That being said, what the crappy school you send your kids to teaches should not be a reason for the Federal Government to change the Constitution. I don't even understand what they want to accomplish, since you seem to agree with it maybe you can help me. Do you think that two people of the same sex should never, ever be allowed to be recognized by the government as being legal partners together, to share the same benefits that you and your wife get to enjoy? Or do you just not like them using the word married so we need to amend the Constitution to save a stupid word?

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2323618]Ike didn't promise to change the constitution, as if it were written on a driveway with sidewalk chalk, to better fit the ideals of Christ.[/QUOTE]

Politicians promising to change the Constitution is simply pandering to a base. They can't deliver on it. It's not up to them. 15 Amendments in the last 216 years. It's the highest political hurdle in the United States. Takes enormous power pushing a populist issue, particularly in this day and age of 24x7 media awareness.

What two people do in their own bedrooms is NONE of my business however, when they start waving rainbow flags and try to teach MY children that it is normal, it becomes MY problem.[/QUOTE]

Teaching your children right from wrong is your job, not the governments. I see no reason why two men or two women shouldn't have the same union rights and privileges as a man and a woman.

Jets Insider VIP

Wait until they come home and tell you they learned about "my two mommies", or "my two daddies" in school....Then you will realize how it affects your life.[/QUOTE]

Is it the same schools that teach that Christopher Columbus was a good guy?

JK...well, not really.

So tell us...how did it affect your life? Did your kids suddenly express interest in home decorating, hiking, organic food and Mitsubishi Eclipses? Or did you have to sit them down and explain to them that the world is full of freaks...the same thing I have to do to my daughter when I walk her home from school past the tattoo shop and she sees the dude with his earlobes stretched out and a padlock hanging from them?

You gotta stand up and tell your kids, "I am a biggot". Let me teach you.

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726;2324103]You gotta stand up and tell your kids, "I am a biggot". Let me teach you.[/QUOTE]

That's what cracks me up....When someone has a different opinion, you have no substance to stand on, you just start name calling....Just because I don't want my kids to be bombarded with all of the pc crap that is going on in this country today, does not make me a bigot (yes, you spelled it wrong)....I don't want my kids to see a man and a woman sucking face in a restaurant booth either....There is way too much that children today need to process in their minds....Someone needs to stand up and monitor what they are exposed to.

And to some of the other replies to my comment, my wife and I are very strong parents who are involved in every aspect of our children's lives, and are here to teach them what we feel is right and what we feel is wrong....We are involved in what comes home from school and are in communication with the teachers as much as we need to be without being those overbearing parents that we all know....Yes it is our responsibility to teach our kids however, it is the schools responsibility as well....It is a combined effort....Anyone who doesn't think that what goes on in school greatly effects your children, is burying their heads in the sand and using the old adage "If you don't like whats on, just change the channel"....Thats all well and good, but what happens when there is nothing but garbage on the other channels?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726;2324103]You gotta stand up and tell your kids, "I am a biggot".

Let me teach you....[/QUOTE]

..anything but spelling.

[QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2324145]That's what cracks me up....When someone has a different opinion, you have no substance to stand on, you just start name calling....Just because I don't want my kids to be bombarded with all of the pc crap that is going on in this country today, does not make me a bigot (yes, you spelled it wrong)....I don't want my kids to see a man and a woman sucking face in a restaurant booth either....There is way too much that children today need to process in their minds....Someone needs to stand up and monitor what they are exposed to.

And to some of the other replies to my comment, my wife and I are very strong parents who are involved in every aspect of our children's lives, and are here to teach them what we feel is right and what we feel is wrong....We are involved in what comes home from school and are in communication with the teachers as much as we need to be without being those overbearing parents that we all know....Yes it is our responsibility to teach our kids however, it is the schools responsibility as well....It is a combined effort....Anyone who doesn't think that what goes on in school greatly effects your children, is burying their heads in the sand and using the old adage "If you don't like whats on, just change the channel"....Thats all well and good, but what happens when there is nothing but garbage on the other channels?[/QUOTE]

You can't protect your children from the world. Like Plumber said, there's always going to be freaks out there. All you can do is instill reason and rationality in them and they will make their own decisions. That doesn't mean gays shouldn't have the same legal rights and privileges as heteros.