Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think you will ever pay off your house?

[QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2321629]7 years left for me.

Listen, I don't know who to blame for how people get so deep into debt. Sometimes I feel bad for younger people. They seem to think that they NEED or deserve all the crappy things that are marketed to them.

I don't need alot of stuff. For what I do need, I have a realistic plan with many safety nets.

I'd rather sleep like a baby every night. There's no better feeling.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/733/061129unabomberhomebcolgj4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321640][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/733/061129unabomberhomebcolgj4.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

LOL, good one RJF, ya know I actually do have a beautiful 4BR, 2.5 bath colonial worth 3x what I paid, but ya know what? I probably would be just as happy in the building in the pic!

Banned
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321640][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/733/061129unabomberhomebcolgj4.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

OK, that was pretty funny.

I'm sure FF will agree

[QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2321645]LOL, good one RJF, ya know I actually do have a beautiful 4BR, 2.5 bath colonial worth 3x what I paid, but ya know what? [B]I probably would be just as happy in the building in the pic[/B]![/QUOTE]

That's Ted Kaczynski's cabin.

paid for, thank you.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321648]That's Ted Kaczynski's cabin.[/QUOTE]

I know. I think if he had cable, he would have been fine.

OK, someone please explain to me why it's even remotely worth buying a house right now unless you're pulling in at least six figures. I've gone over it time and time again and I just don't see it right now considering the way the mortgage and housing market is.

Renting and being debt free for the time being seems to be the way to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SBIII;2321624]Mine is paid off thankfully..[/QUOTE]

Your mortgage? :eek:

And if you're talking credit card it had better be, since you're not paying the above.

We had it pretty bad with around 20k in cc debt in the last 2 years, but now we've got it down to about 5k.

Don't want to refi since we did that and got 5.00% over 30, so Im not f'ing with that rate...so yeah, about 25 more to go... lol

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321654]OK, someone please explain to me why it's even remotely worth buying a house right now unless you're pulling in at least six figures. I've gone over it time and time again and I just don't see it right now considering the way the mortgage and housing market is.

Renting and being debt free for the time being seems to be the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Ask a real estate agent...they will tell you...

NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY!

of course...

NOW IS THE TIME TO SELL TOO!
    :P

[QUOTE=Fishooked;2321662]Your mortgage? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes.

An unemployed teenager finally finished paying off his mortgage. All I know is that the many years he spent stressing and wondering if he should refinance are over. III can now spend his remaining years milking his 401K and RRA, and do all the things he always talked about doing.

[QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2321664]Ask a real estate agent...they will tell you...

NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY!

of course...

NOW IS THE TIME TO SELL TOO!
    :P[/QUOTE]

Lol

That's the funny part though, most who want to buy can't, and most who want to sell aren't able to.

**** buying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321654]OK, someone please explain to me why it's even remotely worth buying a house right now unless you're pulling in at least six figures. I've gone over it time and time again and I just don't see it right now considering the way the mortgage and housing market is. [/QUOTE]

I was shocked at the tax breaks I got after buying, over 20K in interest deductions in the first year. And interest rates are at a 30 month low right now, I think you can get a 30 year fixed for somewhere around 5.5%.

I paid off my mortgage last May, was a 20 year mortgage that I managed to pay off in 10.

- Bi weekly payments,

- Upped the payments a number of times during the mortgage as I got raises.

- Made lump sum payments at the end of the year for about the last 5 years of the mortgage.

I did all this without straining myself financially. Now I'm single and I bought my house at the perfect time for where I live for the real estate market so I was lucky as well.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;2321676]I paid off my mortgage last May, was a 20 year mortgage that I managed to pay off in 10.

- Bi weekly payments,

- Upped the payments a number of times during the mortgage as I got raises.

- Made lump sum payments at the end of the year for about the last 5 years of the mortgage.

I did all this without straining myself financially. [B]Now I'm single[/B] and I bought my house at the perfect time for where I live for the real estate market so I was lucky as well.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! The single part really helps. Try sending 2 kids to college too!

Banned
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2321654]OK, someone please explain to me why it's even remotely worth buying a house right now unless you're pulling in at least six figures. I've gone over it time and time again and I just don't see it right now considering the way the mortgage and housing market is.

[B]Renting and being debt free for the time being seems to be the way to go[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yo, TV killed the Radio star,

You have your head on straight. :yes:

You are a young guy and just buying a home for the sake of owning one does not make sense.

Drop 15% into your 401k and when you find that perfect sweetie (some gay guy) or a honey, then make your decision.

[quote=PatsFanTX;2321689]Yo, TV killed the Radio star,

You have your head on straight. :yes:

You are a young guy and just buying a home for the sake of owning one does not make sense.

Drop 15% into your 401k and when you find that perfect sweetie (some gay guy) or a honey, then make your decision.[/quote]

buying a home is just makes good financial sense. if you can afford to do it, then you should do it. just make sure you are buying a house in the right area. renting is a waste of money......buying is an investment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    [QUOTE=Jet Addict SouthFL;2321620]You do CCC or get the CC companies to settle?

If you do the settlement which I assume, what is your cut, the first payment you settle upon you usually take home right?[/QUOTE]

We do both. A DMP is usually around $35-50 per month as a fee. Settlements run about .15 cents on a dollar. But we save you .50 cents on the dollar.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SBIII;2321624]Mine is paid off thankfully..[/QUOTE]

ditto....

of course my taxes are $19K per year, but that's another story.....

[QUOTE=baldnuts1;2321589]Visit my company's site [url]www.[B]christiandebtconsolidators[/B].net[/url] Stop wasting your money on interest. I won't charge you any fees as well[/QUOTE]

Do you help jews as well?

(trick question....we control all the money anyway)

[QUOTE=neckdemon;2321693]buying a home is just makes good financial sense. if you can afford to do it, then you should do it. just make sure you are buying a house in the right area. renting is a waste of money......buying is an investment.[/QUOTE]

It's not that simple. Renting is not wasting money. That's just a cliche. It's providing you a place to stay.

In overheated markets like NJ and California, renting makes a lot of sense. You say, "if you can afford to do it." Many middle class people can't justify buying a house that costs 300K or more.

You should wait until you have about a 20% downpayment, or else you get screwed on PMI or a piggyback. Therefore, waiting to buy can make sense. Renting is a lot cheaper and you can invest the difference in higher returning assets, like stocks.

I really challenge the "buying is an investment" theory. It doesn't always work out. People compare what they sell the house for along with what they bought the house for. Yeah, what about the real estate taxes, higher utilities and maintenance you put into it? That knocks it down a lot. Then, consider that the long-term return of real estate is about inflation, while equities are much higher.