Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill Callahan and what he means to D'BRICK/Mangold/FAs/draft

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coper:

Please let me know your feelings to what I posted above.

TIA. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JohnnyHector;2325028]Yeah, it's not like he was the captain of an Edmonton team that won the Stanley Cup after Gretzky was traded to the Kings. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Point taken JH

But New York is a different "animal" would you agree?

And when Messier was first traded here, he did not find success under Roger Nielson like he did when Mike Keenan was hired.

That was my point.................
    Last edited by copernicus; 01-20-2008 at 02:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2324920]Exxxxxxxxcellent post.

However, this leads me to fear more then optomism. I know, that Mangini knows, he has a huge hole at both RT and LG. I know he knows that through his actions in the last two weeks of the season. Adriene Clark was benched and two different players got some PT at LG, and while Anthony Clement started both games, he was replaced in the 2nd half of week 16 and before halftime in week 17.

I figured the following, "Thank the lord. Mangini has provenly admitted he knows we need major help at those two positions. He will address them with two very good players through either the draft or free agency (probably a combination of both I thought)."

However, the hiring of Callahan could prove just the opposite. Mangini now could be looking to get by with inexpensive, less-talented players at those positions again but be looking for improvement by having a better OLine coach. :(

I WANT THE HORSES!!!! GIVE ME THE PLAYERS + A GOOD OLINE COACH!!!!

Don't cheap us on one because you seem to have went big on the other. This has become my fear since the Callahan hiring .....[/QUOTE]

JMJ, that is an interesting viewpoint and thanks.

If we go back in time (two seasons ago) when Mangini was the "Mangenius" we would have all the confidence in the world that "the best players will play."

Many fans lost confidence in Mangini last season that this "mindset" would continue when players (Chad in particular) was starting while many thought he should be replaced.

IMHO, we will see a different team next year. I trust in Tannenbaum, Mangini, Schotty, and Callahan that they will "correct" the wrong that was the OLINE last year. Why? Because they made a HUGE move before FAs even started in hiring callahan.

Signing "big name" players does not always translate into success.

If the FO believes that Fanaca or the other "big name" FAs are the answer to our needs than so be it....................if on the other hand if they feel Jake Long, Clady, or Otah thats fine too................ they may feel that they already have guys on our roster like Turner who would be just as good and we can concentrate in other areas to spend and that's ok with me too.

My point is that we signed the TOP coach that was out there to correct our most "glaring" need. Now we can "truely" evaluate what is the best way to correct it. This is far better than just "throwing" a TON of money at Faneca and pray it's the answer.

We now have a coach with HIGH CREDENTIALS evaluating our situation.

I have more confidence than I did last week that we are "serious" about correcting it the best "way" possible.

No matter what "way" that is...................

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2325060]JMJ, that is an interesting viewpoint and thanks.

If we go back in time (two seasons ago) when Mangini was the "Mangenius" we would have all the confidence in the world that "the best players will play."

Many fans lost confidence in Mangini last season that this "mindset" would continue when players (Chad in particular) was starting while many thought he should be replaced.

IMHO, we will see a different team next year. I trust in Tannenbaum, Mangini, Schotty, and Callahan that they will "correct" the wrong that was the OLINE last year. Why? Because they made a HUGE move before FAs even started in hiring callahan.

Signing "big name" players does not always translate into success.

If the FO believes that Fanaca or the other "big name" FAs are the answer to our needs than so be it....................if on the other hand if they feel Jake Long, Clady, or Otah thats fine too................ they may feel that they already have guys on our roster like Turner who would be just as good and we can concentrate in other areas to spend and that's ok with me too.

My point is that we signed the TOP coach that was out there to correct our most "glaring" need. Now we can "truely" evaluate what is the best way to correct it. This is far better than just "throwing" a TON of money at Faneca and pray it's the answer.

We now have a coach with HIGH CREDENTIALS evaluating our situation.

I have more confidence than I did last week that we are "serious" about correcting it the best "way" possible.

No matter what "way" that is...................[/QUOTE]
    I hope you're correct and not me. I know that Mangini and Tannenbaum have proven to be a little frivelous with free agency spending but you just can't be cheap when it comes to your O and D line. EVERYTHING on both sides of the ball starts there. Period.

I'm really hoping the signing of Callahan doesn't make them "comfortable" in not getting some horses where we truly need them. :(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gagoots;2324288]Can anyone give me the short list of this guys offensive successes?[/QUOTE]

[B]From Wikipedia[/B]

During the 2002 and 2003 seasons, he was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. Callahan had spent four seasons as the Raiders offensive coordinator before being named the franchise's 13th head coach prior to the 2002 season.

Callahan led the Raiders to the 2002 AFC Championship Game and a berth in Super Bowl XXXVII in his first season as a head coach, making him just the fourth rookie head coach in NFL history to do so. The Raiders suffered a lopsided defeat, losing 48-21 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coached by his former boss Jon Gruden. The Raiders finished with a 13-6 record in Callahan's first season.

Callahan is the third Raiders head coach to win an AFC West title and lead his team into the conference championship game in his first full season. Only Art Shell (1990) and John Madden (1969) had accomplished this feat.

[B]Under Callahan's guidance, the Raiders led the NFL in passing for the first time in team history and led the league in total offense for just the second time in team history.[/B]

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, Callahan earned a reputation as one of the finest offensive minds in the NFL. The Raider offense led the league in rushing in 2000 and led the league in passing in 2002. In 2002, the Raiders became the first team to win games in the same season while rushing at least 60 times (against Kansas City in a 24-0 win) and passing at least 60 times (against Pittsburgh in a 30-17 win). [B]The Raider offense also set many franchise records during this period, including fewest sacks allowed (28) in 2000, a mark that was broken the following year (27).[/B]
    Despite the success of his 2002 team, the 2003 Raiders had a losing record. After his team got off to a 2-5 start, many of his players, in particular Charles Woodson, publicly demonized the coach, even suggesting that Callahan was deliberately trying to sabotage the season. Apparently, his accusations of strife and mutiny within the clubhouse were corroborated by others, including veteran receiver Tim Brown. Callahan, his supporters claim, had recognized that the team was aging and needed younger talent. To get it, he would have to cut existing salaries, an assertion that did not sit well with many of the team's veterans. After a lackluster 4-12 season, Callahan was relieved of his coaching duties at Oakland with a record of 17-18 in two years.

Prior to joining the Raiders, Callahan coached the offensive line for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1995 to 1997.

Hired on January 18th 2007 as Assistant Head Coach of the New York Jets.
    Last edited by copernicus; 01-20-2008 at 01:50 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2324348]And who gets the blame (i.e. responsabillity) if the 2008 Jets suck as horribly on Offense as the 2007 Jets did?

Right now, with Shotty still on the staff, it looks more like Mangini sgoing the OTHER route to shield himself from future balme, having multiple layers of Coaching Staff under him (to blame) rather than firing one each year.[/QUOTE]

Warfish, I think you are often realistic, when most others are optimistic. This time, I think you are being overly pessimistic. Do you really think Callahan was hired so Mangini has someone to throw under the bus if things go awry? Mangini has been misguided at times, but I have never doubted his intentions are, first and foremost, to better the team. :tsk:

[QUOTE=JMJ;2324920]I figured the following, "Thank the lord. Mangini has provenly admitted he knows we need major help at those two positions. He will address them with two very good players through either the draft or free agency (probably a combination of both I thought)."

However, the hiring of Callahan could prove just the opposite. Mangini now could be looking to get by with inexpensive, less-talented players at those positions again but be looking for improvement by having a better OLine coach. :(

I WANT THE HORSES!!!! GIVE ME THE PLAYERS + A GOOD OLINE COACH!!!!

Don't cheap us on one because you seem to have went big on the other. This has become my fear since the Callahan hiring .....[/QUOTE]

JMJ, Like Warfish, I believe you are taking the pessimistic viewpoint. I see this hiring in very simple terms: The Jets have a serious problem and they went out and hired the best available expert to remedy the problem. I cannot read anything else into this, even on my most pessimistic day.

I grant you, this in itself is not the complete solution. It is merely a piece of the puzzle, and is no indication that we no longer have to upgrade the players on O-line. The only effect this may have on that, is WHO these upgraded players are. And I believe it will be a positive effect. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JohnnyHector;2325021]Bubba Franks made the Pro Bowl in 3 consecutive years. How many times has Brady been to Hawaii, other than for a family vacation?[/QUOTE]

Here are some career stats on both not including this season
    Brady 13 years 343 receptions 3519 yards 25 TD's 10 plus yards per reception
    Franks 8 years 256 receptions 2300 yards 32 TD's 9 plus yards per reception
    Now consider that Brady is considered more of a blocking TE and how effective his teams have bin in the running game career stats I think match up well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;2324165]Kyle Brady...so successful as a Jet, I remember that he had the "hands of an Anthony Becht."[/QUOTE]

I agree that Brady had no support (coaching) and was an odd pick at #9. IMO, he was a bust. He has had a long career, yes, but not what I would call a successful career commensurate with his #9 pick status.

I would have rather had Warren Sapp (yes, weed was an issue...but), Ty Law, Curtis Martin or Terrell Davis. Ken Dilger, taken in the 2nd round, was a better TE, IMO, than Brady. And I'm a PSU alum. I watched his college career and couldn't believe the Jets took him at #9. But then, look who our coach was at the time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2325168][B]From Wikipedia[/B]

During the 2002 and 2003 seasons, he was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. Callahan had spent four seasons as the Raiders offensive coordinator before being named the franchise's 13th head coach prior to the 2002 season.

Callahan led the Raiders to the 2002 AFC Championship Game and a berth in Super Bowl XXXVII in his first season as a head coach, making him just the fourth rookie head coach in NFL history to do so. The Raiders suffered a lopsided defeat, losing 48-21 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coached by his former boss Jon Gruden. The Raiders finished with a 13-6 record in Callahan's first season.

Callahan is the third Raiders head coach to win an AFC West title and lead his team into the conference championship game in his first full season. Only Art Shell (1990) and John Madden (1969) had accomplished this feat.

[B]Under Callahan's guidance, the Raiders led the NFL in passing for the first time in team history and led the league in total offense for just the second time in team history.[/B]

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, Callahan earned a reputation as one of the finest offensive minds in the NFL. The Raider offense led the league in rushing in 2000 and led the league in passing in 2002. In 2002, the Raiders became the first team to win games in the same season while rushing at least 60 times (against Kansas City in a 24-0 win) and passing at least 60 times (against Pittsburgh in a 30-17 win). [B]The Raider offense also set many franchise records during this period, including fewest sacks allowed (28) in 2000, a mark that was broken the following year (27).[/B]
    Despite the success of his 2002 team, the 2003 Raiders had a losing record. After his team got off to a 2-5 start, many of his players, in particular Charles Woodson, publicly demonized the coach, even suggesting that Callahan was deliberately trying to sabotage the season. Apparently, his accusations of strife and mutiny within the clubhouse were corroborated by others, including veteran receiver Tim Brown. Callahan, his supporters claim, had recognized that the team was aging and needed younger talent. To get it, he would have to cut existing salaries, an assertion that did not sit well with many of the team's veterans. After a lackluster 4-12 season, Callahan was relieved of his coaching duties at Oakland with a record of 17-18 in two years.

Prior to joining the Raiders, Callahan coached the offensive line for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1995 to 1997.

Hired on January 18th 2007 as Assistant Head Coach of the New York Jets.[/QUOTE]

To sum it up, it's a great hire.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;2325306]I agree that Brady had no support (coaching) and was an odd pick at #9. IMO, he was a bust. He has had a long career, yes, but not what I would call a successful career commensurate with his #9 pick status.

I would have rather had Warren Sapp (yes, weed was an issue...but), Ty Law, Curtis Martin or Terrell Davis. Ken Dilger, taken in the 2nd round, was a better TE, IMO, than Brady. And I'm a PSU alum. I watched his college career and couldn't believe the Jets took him at #9. But then, look who our coach was at the time.[/QUOTE]

The Jets organization was a total "joke" during the time that Kotite was HC.

It is difficult to say how things would have "panned out" for Brady had he been given a TEs coach and supporting cast.

The fact that he lasted this long leads me to believe he would have been a much better player as a JET if he was given the support.

The Kyle Brady "story" makes me feel that much more excited for guys like D'BRICK, Mangold, Turner, and whoever we sign or draft for next season.

Sometimes we forget that these players are still young and need as much "guidance" to help them live up to their potential.

Callahan has been there and done that, with success I might add.

Great job by Mangini and staff (on paper)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Callahan has a fantastic reputation as an OL coach. He's top notch in that department. He's coming in with some nice young talent to work with (Brick and Mangold) and we'll likely bring in a top tier OG in free agency and perhaps draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Jets O-line could potentially go from a glaring weakness to a formidable strength in just one offseason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2325413]Callahan has a fantastic reputation as an OL coach. He's top notch in that department. He's coming in with some nice young talent to work with (Brick and Mangold) and we'll likely bring in a top tier OG in free agency and perhaps draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Jets O-line could potentially go from a glaring weakness to a formidable strength in just one offseason.[/QUOTE]

Good post Untouchable

As "crazy" as the NFL is presently this could happen.

The fact that the Jets "immediatly" took matters into their own hands before FAs and the draft leads me to believe that "they mean business" when it comes to matters of the OLINE.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2325420]Good post Untouchable

As "crazy" as the NFL is presently this could happen.

The fact that the Jets "immediatly" took matters into their own hands before FAs and the draft leads me to believe that "they mean business" when it comes to matters of the OLINE.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2324203]Excellent Post

I don't see how anyone could have beef with the Callahan hiring. He's known as a top flight O-line coach/offensive coordinator and has HC experience at both the pro and college level.

I definitely agree about this being a sign of things to come. I expect us to sign atleast one of the top O-lineman through free agency (it really wouldn't make any sense not too). It's clearly visible that Mangini knows big changes are in store along the O-line. The late season experiments with Turner and Montgomery as well as the hiring of Callahan validates this.

And not only do we now have a great O-line coach, we also have a suitable candidate for OC on staff if Schotty leaves in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Glad to have Cally on board this really help the O.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2324149]After having a day to read up more on Bill Callahan and what he brings to the table I have to admit I am excited for our offense. Credit must be given to ERIC MANGINI/ Mike Tannenbaum for having the "guts" to sign a former NFL head coach to their staff. With the "revolving door" that has become the Jets coaching staff over the years, this move gives me more confidence that our current staff is "serious" about winning.

I remember in 1995 when the Jets took Kyle Brady with the #9 pick in the draft. I wondered how serious could the Jets be if they didnt even have a TEs coach on the staff? Sure enough my thoughts from years past came to the surface when, in the past few days, I read more than a few articles where Kyle Brady said that his lack of success as a Jet, in part, was becuase he had no TEs coach as a rookie. He felt overwhelmed and exhausted. Funny how most fans immediatly called him a BUST when it was the Jets FO that failed the most by not having a coach in place to 'tap into" Kyle Brady's talent. Kyle Brady has gone on to have a LONG career in the NFL. In hindsight, think of how important it would have been to have a TEs coach for him as a Jet

Fast foward to the Bill Callahan hiring. This move has the potential to be an absolute HOME RUN of a signing. Think about it. The Jets just hired a coach that had a TON of offensive success in the NFL, has been an NFL head coach, and was hired as head coach, but with not much success, for a "historically" successful college football school in the University of Nebraska.

I am impressed with Mangini/Tannenbaum and the "gutzy call" on this one. "Gutzy" because they didnt let the fact that Callahan has NFL head coaching experience get in the way of what's best for the team.

All year, my biggest "gripe" was "How could the Jets FO invest so little help on the field for their first two picks in D'BRICK and Mangold to succeed?" This hiring of Callahan can turn out to be the best thing for D'BRICK, Mangold, and future FAs. Being able to "sell" potential FA to sign with the Jets OLINE just became a little easier when you can show off a coach like Bill Callahan and his success.

Bill Callahan's resume proves his success with the running game and OLINE. This seems to be the best "remedy" that the Jets could have (on paper) for present players like D'BRICK and Mangold, and future players through the draft and FAs. Not to mention what it could do for Kellen Clemens.

IMHO, the Jets FO waisted no time "pin pointing" what there focus will be in this off season by hiring Callahan. Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum "immediatly" addressed what most posters/fans thought was our biggest failure, our OLINE.

MHO is that this signing speaks volume of the focus of our draft and "future" off season signings as well.

Mike Tannenbaum and Mangini will give Callahan the best weapons possible to succeed next season whether its through the draft or FAs.

Hopefully we will look back at the signing of Coach Callahan as a big reason why the OLINE will improve next season and beyond..........

Great "immediate" move by Mangini and the Jets. Lets hope it translates onto the field.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good post, but it doesn't appear as though they will have as much success hiring competent people to coach the defense..........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2325585]This is a very good post, but it doesn't appear as though they will have as much success hiring competent people to coach the defense..........[/QUOTE]

It is still very early in this off season. There is still a shot of them landing one of the Ryan brothers.

Or could it be that............As the season ended up, our defense was not as disgusting as we thougt it to be.

The last seven games the defense played well. It was hard to give the Jets "any" credit because the season, as a whole, was so disappointing. Maybe the JETS FO have seen something that we as fans dont and major changes do not need to happen.

For what it's worth, someone has to get credit for the development of Revis and Harris. Factor in how well Rhodes played, and Pouha and Elam to a lesser degree, come the second half of the season and it might make you think of "whole-sale changes" on the defensive side of the ball..........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    is he the Offensive Corrdinator now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the problems that Callahan had with the Raiders was that when he believed that it was time to replace the veterans and wanted to go young, guys like Tim Brown and Woodson "blew it up"

There has been some talk about extending Coles contract.

I wonder if Callahan would have any input in this "pivitol" decision.........
    Last edited by copernicus; 01-20-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2325603]It is still very early in this off season. There is still a shot of them landing one of the Ryan brothers.

Or could it be that............As the season ended up, our defense was not as disgusting as we thougt it to be.

The last seven games the defense played well. It was hard to give the Jets "any" credit because the season, as a whole, was so disappointing. Maybe the JETS FO have seen something that we as fans dont and major changes do not need to happen.

For what it's worth, someone has to get credit for the development of Revis and Harris. Factor in how well Rhodes played, and Pouha and Elam to a lesser degree, come the second half of the season and it might make you think of "whole-sale changes" on the defensive side of the ball..........[/QUOTE]

Certainly the development and rookie achievements of Revis and Harris are probably the lone bright spot from this season.

Honestly, I can't really see any others, can you?

Suffice to say, I don't share your optimism with regards to the defense. IMO there are way too many round pegs in square holes for this defense to be any better than the bottom third of the league.

Whenever they had success on defense it was due to scheme. They couldn't just line up and beat someone at the point of attack, in fact I can't think of ONE time that they actually did that this season.

There two biggest defensive games IMO were the Steelers game and the second Patsy game. Certainly the Patsy game you couldn't argue that they won at the point of attack, I mean after all they NEVER actually lined up man on man with the Pats. Not once throughout the entire game. In the Pittsburgh game it was a great scheme which allowed the Jets to get seven sacks on Ben. If my memory serves me correctly, weren't like about half of those sacks due to Safety/Cornerback blitzes?

But what upsets me the most is just how inconsistent the defense was. Two years in a row now the Jets have been absolutely nothing shy of HORRIBLE on defense during the first half of the season. Then all of a sudden they come out and play MUCH better the second half. So what gives? What is the truth here? What can we conclude about the Jets defense?

My logic tells me that if they can't put together 16 straight games of at least average defense then changes HAVE to be made.

And just for the record, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Sutton on the staff, albeit in a lesser role.

I just think in order for this team to improve, changes to BOTH the coaching staff and player makeup have to be made...........