Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 (question for Yankee-Jet fans)

1986 (question for Yankee-Jet fans)

I know some people on this board hate the Giants. Although I root against the Giants so the Jets can be the better team and not be upstaged (and not to mention I am aching with jealousy this week ;) ), I personally don't hate the Giants. Most of the Giant fans I know respect that I'm a Jet fan and vice versa. However, reading this board, I know there are plenty of people who know douchebag Giant fans as well. And of course we've all experienced the Pats* fans on this board (diehard and front runner alike).

I was trying to think of a parallel to this Giant-Patriot super bowl. And then I wondered how it must have been for Yankee fans back in 1986 when the Mets and Bastan (mispelled on purpose ;) ) were in the world series (I was only 7 and lived in Virginia at this time).

Which team did you find yourself rooting for that year, the other New York team or Boston? Did you find yourself rooting more or less intensly that year or this year?

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2330206]I know some people on this board hate the Giants. Although I root against the Giants so the Jets can be the better team and not be upstaged (and not to mention I am aching with jealousy this week ;) ), I personally don't hate the Giants. Most of the Giant fans I know respect that I'm a Jet fan and vice versa. However, reading this board, I know there are plenty of people who know douchebag Giant fans as well. And of course we've all experienced the Pats* fans on this board (diehard and front runner alike).

I was trying to think of a parallel to this Giant-Patriot super bowl. And then I wondered how it must have been for Yankee fans back in 1986 when the Mets and Bastan (mispelled on purpose ;) ) were in the world series (I was only 7 and lived in Virginia at this time).

Which team did you find yourself rooting for that year, the other New York team or Boston? Did you find yourself rooting more or less intensly that year or this year?[/QUOTE]

Rooted for the Mets. Would never root for a Bastan (;) ) team ever.

Go Giants Go! Ruin the Pats perfect season:steamin:

1986 was very similar to this year....To be honest I rooted for the Red Sox. I worked with Met fans at the time and I couldn't take it.

I'm a die-hard fan of the Yankees and the Jets (obviously) and was 8 years old in 1986 when this was all happening. Every kid in my school at that time seemed to be a Mets/Giants fan. Even my teacher that year rooted for the Mets/Giants, so I had a hard time at that age rooting for those teams. Believe it or not, the Yankees took a back seat to the Mets in the late 80s.

You are not a good Yankee fan, no matter what the situation is... if you are rooting for the Red Sox. No ifs or buts.

If I was alive I would of been on the Mets bandwagon without a question.

[QUOTE=chrisjets23;2330234]I'm a die-hard fan of the Yankees and the Jets (obviously) and was 8 years old in 1986 when this was all happening. Every kid in my school at that time seemed to be a Mets/Giants fan. Even my teacher that year rooted for the Mets/Giants, so I had a hard time at that age rooting for those teams. [B]Believe it or not, the Yankees took a back seat to the Mets in the late 80s[/B].[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think New York loves a winner. Though I was born and bred to be a Jets fan (just one of the family curses :( ), I've only lived in New York for the past four years. And in all honesty, I've seen more people wearing Giant gear (and have heard more Giant talk) in the last week and a half then the last four years combined.

I rooted for the Red Sox. I hated the 1986 Mets. The team was easy to hate. They were arrogant and full of A-holes. As much as i hated to see Boston win the series, i couldnt bear to see those jerks from flushing win it all

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330236]You are not a good Yankee fan, no matter what the situation is... if you are rooting for the Red Sox. No ifs or buts.

[B]If I was alive[/B] I would of been on the Mets bandwagon without a question.[/QUOTE]

No you would not. If you were alive, you would realize that the arrogance of the Mets fans in 1986 was so bad you would root against them no matter what. The Mets owned NY baseball in the late 1980s. It was torture for a Yankees fan. You dont understand that b/c you were fortunate to be a Yankee fan at a time when the Yanks won everyyear and where the Mets are second class citizens. It was tough being a Yankees fan in those years of Andy Hawkins, Dave LaPoint and Tim Leary

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2330266]No you would not. If you were alive, you would realize that the arrogance of the Mets fans in 1986 was so bad you would root against them no matter what. The Mets owned NY baseball in the late 1980s. It was torture for a Yankees fan. You dont understand that b/c you were fortunate to be a Yankee fan at a time when the Yanks won everyyear and where the Mets are second class citizens. It was tough being a Yankees fan in those years of Andy Hawkins, Dave LaPoint and Tim Leary[/QUOTE]

Sorry, never going to happen. Red Sox are our rival. The Mets are out neighbors, just like the Giants are the Jets roommate. I could careless about Mets, Giants fans. They don't bother me.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330274]Sorry, never going to happen. Red Sox are our rival. The Mets are out neighbors, just like the Giants are the Jets roommate. I could careless about Mets, Giants fans. They don't bother me.[/QUOTE]
    Again, you had to be there to understand. The Mets were every bit of our rivals in 1986 that the Red Sox were (if not more). They were not just "our neighbors" . They owned NYC. They took our spotlight. The Yanks were a joke and they were [I]THE[/I] NY baseball team.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2330266]No you would not. If you were alive, you would realize that the arrogance of the Mets fans in 1986 was so bad you would root against them no matter what. The Mets owned NY baseball in the late 1980s. It was torture for a Yankees fan. You dont understand that b/c you were fortunate to be a Yankee fan at a time when the Yanks won everyyear and where the Mets are second class citizens. It was tough being a Yankees fan in those years of Andy Hawkins, Dave LaPoint and Tim Leary[/QUOTE]

Pretty much everything you are saying about the Mets fans and team back in 86 is the way I feel about the Pats* and their fans this whole decade. Don't mistake the 'class' they used to show. They've always been this way, just this year they are no longer hiding it.

Jets Insider VIP
    It was a little different in 86. The "rivalry" with the Sox wasnt that intense during this time. I hated both teams but still, I pulled for the Mets slightly.

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2330281]Pretty much everything you are saying about the Mets fans and team back in 86 is the way I feel about the Pats* and their fans this whole decade. Don't mistake the 'class' they used to show. They've always been this way, just this year they are no longer hiding it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. thats why im rooting for the Gints

BTW, 25 years ago there were only a few hundred Pats fans. Back in the early 90s when Hugh Millen was QB and Rod Rust/Dick McPherson the coach Foxboro was empty every game. No one in Bosto would admit to being a Pats fan. They were either Giants or Cowboys fans. Now suddenly everyone in Boston loves the Pats. Give me a break

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2330277]Again, you had to be there to understand. The Mets were every bit of our rivals in 1986 that the Red Sox were (if not more). They were not just "our neighbors" . They owned N[/quote]

Sorry, still, I would never root for the Red Sox, never, ever.

Red Sox vs Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, George Bush, Ed Gein, Albert Fish

Go Serial Killers!

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2330291]It was a little different in 86. [B]The "rivalry" with the Sox wasnt that intense during this time[/B]. I hated both teams but still, I pulled for the Mets slightly.[/QUOTE]

True , probably cause we were never in contention at the same time. The Yanks were a Joke between 1987-1994. We were no better than the Royals are today.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330236] I would of been on the Mets bandwagon without a question.[/QUOTE]

Frontrunner.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2330298]True , probably cause we were never in contention at the same time. The Yanks were a Joke between 1987-1994. We were no better than the Royals are today.[/QUOTE]

Well, a [I]little [/I]better

All Pro
    Deleted
    Last edited by The Boston Patriot; 01-22-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Die hard Yankee's and Jets fan here. In 86 I didnt even watch the world series and I absolutely dispised the Mets. I remember my Father In Law trying to tell me How much better a player Darryl Strawberry was than Don Mattingly which just enhanced my Hate for the Mets. But he was also a Jets fan so I let him slide a little . I was Bitter about the Giants because I felt a Healthy Jets team would have played them in the SB that year. We went 10 - 1 then lost 4 players to injury and Paul Maguire kept preaching the jets would not win another game I wanted to kill the SOB. The Yankees have tasted plenty of success and if they never win another chanpionship at least I can say I was part of 6 I have much more passion with the Jets because thye have not won anything

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2330206]I know some people on this board hate the Giants. Although I root against the Giants so the Jets can be the better team and not be upstaged (and not to mention I am aching with jealousy this week ;) ), I personally don't hate the Giants. Most of the Giant fans I know respect that I'm a Jet fan and vice versa. However, reading this board, I know there are plenty of people who know douchebag Giant fans as well. And of course we've all experienced the Pats* fans on this board (diehard and front runner alike).

Which team did you find yourself rooting for that year, the other New York team or Boston? Did you find yourself rooting more or less intensly that year or this year?[/QUOTE]

In 1986, I rooted for the Mets vs Boston.

And I actually rooted for the Giants vs Denver, and have regretted it ever since. Their a-hole fans and Hess' refusal to move out of the temporary home sealed that.

Never made that mistake again.

Go New England!