Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1986 (question for Yankee-Jet fans)

All Pro
    i was a freshman in HS - i was not following teh Jets like i am today - (i started that when i was 16) but i have to admit it was cool to follow the Mets and the Giants - The Mets with the She Met Shuffle & Carter etc and Teh Giants with LT, Carson and the gatorade. I got over that quick

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2330293]

BTW, 25 years ago there were only a few hundred Pats fans. Back in the early 90s when Hugh Millen was QB and Rod Rust/Dick McPherson the coach Foxboro was empty every game. No one in Bosto would admit to being a Pats fan. They were either Giants or Cowboys fans. Now suddenly everyone in Boston loves the Pats. Give me a break[/QUOTE]

:clapper: Couldn't paint a better picture myself... you did have your handful of the diehards, but it really was as if Boston had no football team... its not until 2001 that the city of Boston embraced them as their own (I don't know why Worcester or Providence wouldn't have a stronger claim to them as those cities seemed to always embrace the Patriots even before the * era).

Back in 1986 I was rooting for the Mets and I was thrilled that the sox got their hearts broken.

I'm a YANKEES and JETS fan and I take the Don Corleone approach to the area sports teams. As long as our interests don't conflict I hope the Mets and Giants to win every game they play. Of course the obvious exception is when they play against my teams.

And just for the record, I am a Mets fan who was in elementary school in '86, but remember [I]everyone[/I] pulling for the Mets. The school brought TV's into the lunch room for the ticker tape parade and the teachers were all Mets for Halloween.

[QUOTE=Admiral Ackbar;2330416]:clapper: Couldn't paint a better picture myself... you did have your handful of the diehards, but it really was as if Boston had no football team... its not until 2001 that the city of Boston embraced them as their own (I don't know why Worcester or Providence wouldn't have a stronger claim to them as those cities seemed to always embrace the Patriots even before the * era).[/QUOTE]

I also remember when the Pats were threatening to move to Haaahtfehd (Hartford in english). Most folks in Boston back then said they couldnt care less.

I am a Jets-Mets fan. LOVED it when the Mets won, [I]hated [/I]when the Giants won (especially since the 86 season had once been a hopeful one for our Jets). Also, most of my family (and NY, for that matter) seemed to be Giants fans, and my counsins have ripped me for being a Jet fan all my life. And the Giants had had more success with their pre-superbowl championships too.

Go pats on Superbowl Sunday

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2330266]No you would not. If you were alive, you would realize that the arrogance of the Mets fans in 1986 was so bad you would root against them no matter what. The Mets owned NY baseball in the late 1980s. It was torture for a Yankees fan. You dont understand that b/c you were fortunate to be a Yankee fan at a time when the Yanks won everyyear and where the Mets are second class citizens. It was tough being a Yankees fan in those years of Andy Hawkins, Dave LaPoint and Tim Leary[/QUOTE]

Yes!

And Boston wasn't a serious rival like they are now. Remember, this was the same team that hadn't one in forever

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2330293]Agreed. thats why im rooting for the Gints

BTW, 25 years ago there were only a few hundred Pats fans. Back in the early 90s when Hugh Millen was QB and Rod Rust/Dick McPherson the coach Foxboro was empty every game. No one in Bosto would admit to being a Pats fan. They were either Giants or Cowboys fans. Now suddenly everyone in Boston loves the Pats. Give me a break[/QUOTE]

The '90 Patriots are still this day the worst football team I've ever seen.

Mets-Boston was a Yankee fan's nightmare.
    I still rooted for the Mets though because I'm a New Yorker and can't imagine a Yankee fan rooting for the Sox.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2330277]Again, you had to be there to understand. The Mets were every bit of our rivals in 1986 that the Red Sox were (if not more). They were not just "our neighbors" . They owned NYC. They took our spotlight. The Yanks were a joke and they were [I]THE[/I] NY baseball team.[/QUOTE]

I became a Yankee fan during the 70s so I was certainly there for the 80s and I agree with Sean Ryan 100%. You NEVER root for the Sox just like you NEVER root for the Patsies.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CTM;2330527]Yes!

And Boston wasn't a serious rival like they are now. Remember, this was the same team that hadn't one in forever[/QUOTE]

Funny... in the 70s I hated Fisk, Rice, etc. Always hated the Red Sox. The rivalry was there long before the media blew it out of proportion.... Bucky F'n Dent was a popular expression long before the 86 Mets...

[QUOTE=Bergen Jet;2330794]Funny... in the 70s I hated Fisk, Rice, etc. Always hated the Red Sox. The rivalry was there long before the media blew it out of proportion.... Bucky F'n Dent was a popular expression long before the 86 Mets...[/QUOTE]

Yes the Rivalry was alive and kicking in the 1970s. It simply wasnt too big in the late 1980s/early 1990s when neither team was contending at the same time.

Hall Of Fame
    CTM did you say Boston was not a serious Rival Like they are Now ? The Boston NY Rivalry is one of the oldest rivalries in sports. It goes back to the Babe Ruth Trade. Also did you forget the rivalries in the 70's with Boston the playoff game when Bucky Dent hit the 3 run homer and Carl Yaz Popping out to end the game. Sure the rivalry is now at a peak because Boston has finally started winning some championships but its still been a big time rivalry for about 90 years. I think this year the Yankees start winning again if they get there young Pitchers to produce we will have a top notch staff once again. Boston has had the better staff the past few years and thats been the difference. But Joba, Ian, and Phillip are on the rise. Watch out Sox

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Judas;2330857]CTM did you say Boston was not a serious Rival Like they are Now ? The Boston NY Rivalry is one of the oldest rivalries in sports. It goes back to the Babe Ruth Trade. Also did you forget the rivalries in the 70's with Boston the playoff game when Bucky Dent hit the 3 run homer and Carl Yaz Popping out to end the game. Sure the rivalry is now at a peak because Boston has finally started winning some championships but its still been a big time rivalry for about 90 years. I think this year the Yankees start winning again if they get there young Pitchers to produce we will have a top notch staff once again. Boston has had the better staff the past few years and thats been the difference. But Joba, Ian, and Phillip are on the rise. Watch out Sox[/QUOTE]

People forget, but the Yankees biggest rival of the late 70s was not the Red Sox - it was the Orioles. They could actually beat us - and often did.

And for the 1980s, the Blue Jays were much bigger rivals than the Sox.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bergen Jet;2330792]I became a Yankee fan during the 70s so I was certainly there for the 80s and I agree with Sean Ryan 100%. You NEVER root for the Sox just like you NEVER root for the Patsies.[/QUOTE]

As a life long Yankees /Jets fan I agree.......... 2 teams I will never root for.
    The Red Sox and The Patriots.

Was pulling for the Mets in 86.....will be pulling for the Giants to ruin the Pats "perfect" season.......

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Bergen Jet;2330794]Funny... in the 70s I hated Fisk, Rice, etc. Always hated the Red Sox. The rivalry was there long before the media blew it out of proportion.... Bucky F'n Dent was a popular expression long before the 86 Mets...[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, but they didn't win squat, so at least to me, they were more like someone we picked on rather then someone who was a true rival.

Now that they've won 2 and beaten us to do so on the first, I'd say it's a little more intense.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2330293]Agreed. thats why im rooting for the Gints

Some of us have been with them all the way, through thick and thin. Not to
    say they didn't severely test our loyalty, somewhat akin to what the Jets are
    doing to you guys now. We have had some pretty awful management and
    coaching over the years. Hopefully the Jets will find their answer sooner than
    later as well. I miss the border wars.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

For me it was more of rooting for the Red Sox to lose than the Mets to win. My wife (fiance at the time) and bro in law had tickets to game 6, Buckner game, and would not bring me because I was a Yankee fan, even though I was rooting against the Sox. LOL

I made up for it when the Yanks beat the Mets years later starting Yankee chants at Shea :D

Bottom line, I could never rooot for a team from Boston...unless it's BC.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;2331000]Some of us have been with them all the way, through thick and thin. Not to
    say they didn't severely test our loyalty, somewhat akin to what the Jets are
    doing to you guys now. We have had some pretty awful management and
    coaching over the years. Hopefully the Jets will find their answer sooner than
    later as well. I miss the border wars.[/QUOTE]

see now that is a realistic Pats fan =- he knows his roots go further back than 2001 and the cinderella team. And as aJets fan though i have to admit that even the lean years of the 80's and 90's up until Parcells - we still had a big crowds at the games - Other teams don;t seem to get that - if they are bad no one shows up -

All Pro
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;2330206]I know some people on this board hate the Giants. Although I root against the Giants so the Jets can be the better team and not be upstaged (and not to mention I am aching with jealousy this week ;) ), I personally don't hate the Giants. Most of the Giant fans I know respect that I'm a Jet fan and vice versa. However, reading this board, I know there are plenty of people who know douchebag Giant fans as well. And of course we've all experienced the Pats* fans on this board (diehard and front runner alike).

I was trying to think of a parallel to this Giant-Patriot super bowl. And then I wondered how it must have been for Yankee fans back in 1986 when the Mets and Bastan (mispelled on purpose ;) ) were in the world series (I was only 7 and lived in Virginia at this time).

Which team did you find yourself rooting for that year, the other New York team or Boston? Did you find yourself rooting more or less intensly that year or this year?[/QUOTE]

I was living in Boston so I had to root for the Mets.