Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1986 (question for Yankee-Jet fans)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2332022]It's not my fault you are weak. Mets fans hurt your feelings? Awww. Good Yankee fans [B][U]never[/U][/B] root for the Red Sox, ever.[/QUOTE]

Sean, let's say it's the last day of the season. Boston is elminated already, Toronto is 1/2 game behind the Yanks for the division lead. Chicago has wrapped up the wild card. Toronto won the season series with the Yanks. Last game: Toronto vs. Boston. Boston wins, Yanks in. They lose, Yanks out.

What to do?

Point is, it's all situational. The Red Sox at the time were not really a huge rival from our side. That drugged out Mets team was an embarassment to the game, and worse were the Mets fans bouncing around actually believing they were the new kings of NY and the Yanks were done forever.

Again, I agree. I rooted for the Mets. But I can see why some might not have. It wasn't as cut and dry as it would be now.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2332120]Sean, let's say it's the last day of the season. Boston is elminated already, Toronto is 1/2 game behind the Yanks for the division lead. Chicago has wrapped up the wild card. Toronto won the season series with the Yanks. Last game: Toronto vs. Boston. Boston wins, Yanks in. They lose, Yanks out.

What to do?[/QUOTE]

Yikes, you got me! :O

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2332120]

Point is, it's all situational. The Red Sox at the time were not really a huge rival from our side. That drugged out Mets team was an embarassment to the game, and worse were the Mets fans bouncing around actually believing they were the new kings of NY and the Yanks were done forever.

Again, I agree. I rooted for the Mets. But I can see why some might not have. It wasn't as cut and dry as it would be now.[/QUOTE]

But, the Sox winning that game helps us, and the Sox still stay home. In the past, not so sure about today, I guarantee you, the Red Sox would mail that game in. In this case you are right, it is situational. The Yankee fan is pulling for the Red Sox, and the Red Sox fan is pulling for the Blue Jays. The rivalry is that deep...
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2332022]It's not my fault you are weak. Mets fans hurt your feelings? Awww. Good Yankee fans [B][U]never[/U][/B] root for the Red Sox, ever.[/QUOTE]

You weren't even born in 1986 it was a different world then it is now. You don't know me so quit with the stupid immature name calling.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2332345]You weren't even born in 1986 it was a different world then it is now. You don't know me so quit with the stupid immature name calling.[/QUOTE]

So what, would you root for the Dolphins vs the Giants in the Super Bowl? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. Just like I am rooting for the Giants vs the Pats.

With the Dolphins, it doesn't matter if rivalry isn't as heated as it use to be, the rivalry is always going to be there.

I guess I am different, Giants or Mets fans don't bother me, some of them may be stupid, but it doesn't effect who I root for.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2332365]So what, would you root for the Dolphins vs the Giants in the Super Bowl? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. Just like I am rooting for the Giants vs the Pats.

With the Dolphins, it doesn't matter if rivalry isn't as heated as it use to be, the rivalry is always going to be there.

I guess I am different, Giants or Mets fans don't bother me, some of them may be stupid, but it doesn't effect who I root for.[/QUOTE]

You know I actually rooted for the Patriots in 1985 Super Bowl to beat the Bears. If that game happened today, I most certainly would root for the Bears. In 1986, the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry was not as intense as it is now. The Mets were coming off an incredible season, they won their division by 20+ games. The Mets fans were incredibly arrogant and quite frankly my life would have been easier with a Sox win. [B]Again in today's environment I would not/could not root for the Sox.[/B]

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2332379]You know I actually rooted for the Patriots in 1985 Super Bowl to beat the Bears. If that game happened today, I most certainly would root for the Bears. In 1986, the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry was not as intense as it is now. The Mets were coming off an incredible season, they won their division by 20+ games. The Mets fans were incredibly arrogant and quite frankly my life would have been easier with a Sox win. [B]Again in today's environment I would not/could not root for the Sox.[/B][/QUOTE]

I guess I'll take take your word for it, seems like half the Yankee fans went with the Mets and other half with the Sox...

No hard feelings, I apologize for calling you weak.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2332034]Good for them. I think with the Mets it was more personable. You didn't chat with people online, it was just the people you knew. I didn't know 1 Red Sox fan. But I knew and saw everyday 30+ Mets fans. Had to listen to them talk everyday.

I think half the rivalry isn't hatred of a team, but of its fans. And I didn't have any Red Sox fans to hate, but there were plenty of Mets fans.[/QUOTE]

I lived in Boston during this time. No matter how bad the team was, BoSox fans were intolerable! My husband and I used to go to Red Sox games just to see the other teams.

Interesting fact: In 1986 the first inter-conference games were played -- only between Mets and Red Sox. The two teams decided to play for charity and in 86 the game was in Boston. We went to that game and got to see both teams. They planned to play in Shea the next year, but guess what? The World Series got in the way and the teams were not "friends" any more, afterthe Buckner play. I don't think they continued the charity games in 87.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2332390]I guess I'll take take your word for it, seems like half the Yankee fans went with the Mets and other half with the Sox...

No hard feelings, I apologize for calling you weak.[/QUOTE]

[B]No Apology needed.[/B] Sports is an emotional subject and you are a loyal Jets fan, keep up the good work, one day you'll be rewarded!!:yes: