Thread: J-E-T-S Mock Offseason/Draft

J-E-T-S Mock Offseason/Draft

FA Signings

LG Ryan Lilja- throw the money at him to come here. I would be happy with him, Andrews or Faneca but this position needs to be the highest priority.

CB Drayton Florence- with the Jets heíll get the chance to be a starting CB whereas in San Diego heís third just because Jammer and Cromartie are really good. CB isnít the biggest need but a good secondary goes a long way.
    Draft

Trade down with Chicago for 15th pick and 44th pick

1st round (15th pick): Kentwan Balmer DE UNC- Maybe this is a little high but I think his stock is rising. Harvey would be another choice here but I like what Iíve heard about Balmer and think he could solve some problems at 3-4 DE.

2nd round (36th pick): Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt- I like everything Iíve heard about Williams. Heís versatile, has received a lot of SEC accolades and would fill a glaring need. Cherilus has more impressive measurables but I think Williams is the wiser choice.

2nd round (44th pick): Pat Sims DT Auburn- Heís 6-4, 312 which seems big enough to play NT.

3rd round: Ezra Butler OLB Nevada- Many on this board seem to like him and he looks like he could be a good pass rusher. Has size and speed and 7.5 sacks in his senior season.

4th round: Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina- Small school guy who was impressive at the East-West Shrine Game. Plenty of good WRs have been drafted 3rd or 4th round. Itís between him and Bowman, who has struggled at the Senior Bowl.

5th round: Kirk Barton RT Ohio State- adds more depth on the line. Barton has surprised according to Senior Bowl Notes and was Hon. Mention All Big 10 RT in í06.

6th Round: Andrew Crummey OG Maryland- good reviews from the Shrine Game and once again, we need to build depth on the lines through the draft. Quality linemen can be found in later rounds.

7th Round: Jehuu Caulcrick FB Michigan State- I watched Caulcrick a couple of times and liked him. Heís projected as a FB but I think he could be a HB too. Heís 6-0, 258 and would be a guy who might be able to help our goal line scoring troubles.

Our team would look like this and if Clemens improves will be moving in the right direction.

OFFENSE

QB Clemens
    RB Jones/Washington
    FB Caulcrick
    WR Coles
    WR Cotchery
    WR Simpson
    TE Baker

LT Ferguson
    LG Lilja
    C Mangold
    RG Moore
    RT Williams

DEFENSE

DE Balmer
    DT Sims/Robertson
    DE Ellis

OLB Thomas
    ILB Harris
    ILB Vilma
    OLB Butler

CB Revis
    S Rhodes
    S Elam
    CB Florence

If Clemens is decent I think this team (although young) could be in the fight for a playoff spot and have a big turnaround. The key is being able to trade out of that 6th spot. It does not offer us any value at all right now with the players out there. The only position that offers much value is QB. We have to hope Brohm/Ryan workout really well and Chicago or Carolina want to trade up and get ahead of Baltimore to get one of them. Moving down allows us to pick up an extra pick and get much better value.

I like this a lot...

you give some excellent reasons for some of your picks; and any one of the three Gaurds would be welcome as a free agent.

My only problem is that I don't see any way you get Chicago's #1 and #2 for the six pick...

IMO

[QUOTE=piney;2330699]I like this a lot...

you give some excellent reasons for some of your picks; and any one of the three Gaurds would be welcome as a free agent.

My only problem is that I don't see any way you get Chicago's #1 and #2 for the six pick...

IMO[/QUOTE]

Only if the Bears are looking for a QB.... Baltimore is at eight looking to pick a QB...If Ryan and Brohm go in the top five ... panic ensues

[QUOTE=JetOrange;2330893]Only if the Bears are looking for a QB.... Baltimore is at eight looking to pick a QB...If Ryan and Brohm go in the top five ... panic ensues[/QUOTE]

I think it's more likely neither of them do, then our pick becomes mucho valuable, because a few teams wants QBs and you know NE is looking to trade back.

This is a great mock offseason and draft! Everyone would do some things differently but this is solid. Good work!

[QUOTE=piney;2330699]I like this a lot...

IMO[/QUOTE]

According to the value chart it works out and actually favors Chicago. That said, I can see what you're saying as the 6th pick doesn't have the highest value this year.

It might not match up exactly value wise but I would trade down for a team's first, third and fourth/fifth even. I think there is a lot of value in this draft and it is not at 6 for us. We need to trade down to the middle of the first with Chicago, Carolina or Detroit as possibilities.

If we get a first and third, we could get Balmer and subsitute Ahtiya Rubin for Sims. Still a good player and Balmer is much better value than reaching for someone at 6.