View Poll Results: New York is a ....

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Football Town

7 6.48%
  • Baseball Town

101 93.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is New York a Baseball or Football Town?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330753]When it comes to teams, I would rank popularity in this order.

Yankees
    Mets
    Knicks
    Giants
    Rangers
    Jets[/QUOTE]

As an Islanders fan, I'm pained by how true this is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think FoxNews, CNN and ABC are all ready to declare a winner in your poll, Sean. :P

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330764]I dunno man, The Knicks are a bad joke, and they still fill those seats every night.[/QUOTE]

forget the seats. no one watches the games anymore at home. if they do, they're doing it in secret because I dont hear anyone tlakinga bout it cept a few die hards. I still watch when I can.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TD C-Mart;2330770]As an Islanders fan, I'm pained by how true this is.[/QUOTE]

How bout as a Jets fan, you feeling anything?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;2330776]How bout as a Jets fan, you feeling anything?[/QUOTE]

Just numb.

Used to it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2330772]I think FoxNews, CNN and ABC are all ready to declare a winner in your poll, Sean. :P[/QUOTE]

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick, someone vote! We're at 19-0 right now and the Patriots don't need anymore signs or good luck!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2330782]Quick, someone vote! We're at 19-0 right now and the Patriots don't need anymore signs or good luck![/QUOTE]

LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the Yankees and Mets actually playing New York has any effect on why New York is a baseball town. It probably does effect it some what. Also do you think New York could support a 3rd baseball team?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2330782]Quick, someone vote! We're at 19-0 right now and the Patriots don't need anymore signs or good luck![/QUOTE]

I got it covered.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330791]I wonder if the Yankees and Mets actually playing New York has any effect on why New York is a baseball town. It probably does effect it some what. Also do you think New York could support a 3rd baseball team?[/QUOTE]

It did 50 years ago. The three best centerfielders in the game played in NY - Duke Snider, Willie Mays, and the Mick.

Man, what a time to be alive, that must have been awesome.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330791][B]I wonder if the Yankees and Mets actually playing New York has any effect on why New York is a baseball town.[/B] It probably does effect it some what. Also do you think New York could support a 3rd baseball team?[/QUOTE]

might help but not much

baseball has so much history in Ny form the Yankee franchise, to there rings, jackie robinson, da bums, duke,mickey and mays all in the city at the same time and baseball just has this thing in the city. Even the SI yanks and BKLYN cyclones, which is probably the equivalant of HS baseball, fill the seats every game

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330791]I wonder if the Yankees and Mets actually playing New York has any effect on why New York is a baseball town. It probably does effect it some what. Also do you think New York could support a 3rd baseball team?[/QUOTE]

They did 50 years ago. No problem now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2330800]They did 50 years ago. No problem now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure, there are so many more options now that there was than, like the NFL.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-23-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;2330768]Knicks right now are probably lower than the Jets. No one cares about the NBA anymore. It doesnt help that Knicks suck.

Yankees
    Mets
    Giants
    Rangers
    Jets
    Whoever's winning...that eliminates the knicks[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree with this..

If the Knicks put together, lets say, 8 wins out of 10, I think even that would be enough to spark a buzz around the franchise again. In terms of popularity, the Knicks are the Knicks. They are the only basketball team around, the play in MSG (in the HEART of the greatest city in the world), they own New York - EVERYONE is a Knick fan in NY (if u even slightly follow bball).

In terms of popularity right now, it's gotta be..

Yanks
    Mets
    Giants
    Knicks
    Rangers
    Jets
    Islanders
    Dragons?

The Knicks still fill the garden and we are beyond being the joke of the league. The Jets were in the playoffs last year and a kick away from the AFC Championship game 3 years back..The Jets aren't a complete joke like the Knicks. Yet, the fans still come out to Knicks games, whereas there were more fans from other teams than NYJ fans in the final weeks of the season for the Jets. If the Giants didn't make this crazy run to the super bowl, the Knicks are easily the #3 team in NY.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2330796]It did 50 years ago. The three best centerfielders in the game played in NY - Duke Snider, Willie Mays, and the Mick.

Man, what a time to be alive, that must have been awesome.[/QUOTE]

As a baseball fan, and history buff, I would kill to watch a ball game at Ebbets Field, Polo Grounds, and the pre-renovated Yankee Stadium.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;2330800]They did 50 years ago. No problem now.[/QUOTE]

gonna have to disagree with you and paulie, times change in 50 years. I think a 3rd team would make it but would not have the followin that the mets have let alone the yanks. The 5 boros were very different with differet type of heritages, baseball fields by my job in bklyn have been converted to soccer to accomidate what the neighborhood people play

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330753]So I made this thread just to prove to one of my friends who is a Giants fan that NY is indeed a baseball town. Thanks... fellas.

When it comes to teams, I would rank popularity in this order.

Yankees
    Mets
    Knicks
    Giants
    Rangers
    Jets[/QUOTE]

Those saying "nobody cares about the Knicks," don't get it. People are angry about the Knicks, but are still passionate about them. They're like 5-6 games out of the 8th seed right now and on a semi-good streak. Wait till/if they cut that to 3-4 games out of 8th or even get in, it will feel like a new NBA team suddenly landed in the city. Even now the Knicks as a team sell the 3rd most merchandise in the NBA according to the latest figures :eek:. Obviously right now there is a ton of Giants gear out, but just wait until a month or 2 from now, after they've lost the Super Bowl.

So measured over the long term (thus not factoring in how well or poorly each of the teams are doing at a given time), I think this is an accurate ranking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well im not doubting anything you guys are saying about the Knicks but when you got a arena that holds probably 18k and an area of at least over 12 million people all to yourself, it should be that hard to sell out. No matter how bad you are.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York is a baseball town. Always has been, always will be. Same with Boston. It doesn't matter how many rings Brady wins, the Sox will always be more important.