View Poll Results: New York is a ....

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Football Town

7 6.48%
  • Baseball Town

101 93.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is New York a Baseball or Football Town?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Football is the most popular sport in the country. Even in New York, the Jets & Giants have extended season ticket wait lists. Also the Football economic system, the Salary Cap, keeps big market teams from dominating the sport. Even though this year it's the Giants & Pats*, last year was Indianapolis, previous year was Pittsburgh & Seattle.

Baseball, with no cap, has a built in advantage for the Yankees & Mets and other big market teams. If baseball had a system like football, the Mets and Yankees would occasionally have bad years when they didn't contend, be perhaps 20 games out by the all-star break, resulting in a huge attendance drop.

Also if your team couldn't afford to sign free agents (Pittsburgh, KC) there wouldn't be too much interest. And even on occasion when a small market team gets lucky and win, they can't afford to keep their players (Johann Santana)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think more a football town draft happens here also not to big of a baseball fan :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think New York is a basketball town if the Knicks are competitive. The amount of juice that was in the Garden during the Knicks glory years is way more than either the great Mets teams and Yankees teams I can remember.

As for the 24-7 coverage of baseball I think alot of that is because its a very easy sport to discuss compared to the NFL. Having no salary cap means I can pick up the phone and call a station and say the Mets should trade Pelfry, Gomez and a minor leaguer for someone like Manny Ramirez who makes a fortune and you can at least discuss it. You cant do that in the NFL. There are no trades. There are usually no monster free agent signings when a player is good. Even in the NBA if you want a star you have to find a way to put together a package of 4 or 5 guys just to make the salaries work out. Baseball is simple and is the easiest to play fantasy GM for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Jason423;2330910]I actually think New York is a basketball town if the Knicks are competitive. The amount of juice that was in the Garden during the Knicks glory years is way more than either the great Mets teams and Yankees teams I can remember.

As for the 24-7 coverage of baseball I think alot of that is because its a very easy sport to discuss compared to the NFL. Having no salary cap means I can pick up the phone and call a station and say the Mets should trade Pelfry, Gomez and a minor leaguer for someone like Manny Ramirez who makes a fortune and you can at least discuss it. You cant do that in the NFL. There are no trades. There are usually no monster free agent signings when a player is good. Even in the NBA if you want a star you have to find a way to put together a package of 4 or 5 guys just to make the salaries work out. Baseball is simple and is the easiest to play fantasy GM for.[/quote]

Why would a secondary winter sport of basketball be considered with the major sports, in fact hockey is bigger in NY then basketball

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York - A Baseball Town with a Football Problem

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna say hockey, but the option isn't there. :P

It's a baseball town, no doubt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York is a basketball town. Hypothethically, say all the NY sports teams were playing like mad men in good ways, Basketball would be #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just sums it up for me. The Knicks are the 4th worst team in the NBA, saying if any other nY team, Jets, giants, rangers, islanders, mets were in the same position being the 4th worst team in their sport their attendance would not even be close to what it is. Maybe other then the yankees and giants and mets to some extent the attendance figures wouldnt be close to what it is now.

The Knicks are #1 in total home attandance up to this point in the NBA and we are the 4th WORST team in the entire NBA. :eek: . Now just imagine if the Knicks were a .500 team, you could not get a seat at the garden.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York is a baseball town. Always has been.

How much of the Knicks attendance is due to location, ease of getting there and back, proximity to people's jobs, start time, being on weekday nights a lot of times, and corporate season tickets being available to people working in Manhattan? In sales, you always know someone, coworker, vendor, or customer, who has Knicks tickets available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant believe football even got 3 votes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2330791]I wonder if the Yankees and Mets actually playing New York has any effect on why New York is a baseball town. It probably does effect it some what. Also do you think New York could support a 3rd baseball team?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it could support a third team in the boroughs, but I think a third team in the tri-state area would be supported. I'm sure there are a lot of NJ and CT fans who would rather watch a home team nearby than have to come into the Bronx or Queens to get their baseball fix.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;2330914]Why would a secondary winter sport of basketball be considered with the major sports, in fact hockey is bigger in NY then basketball[/QUOTE]

You cant compare hockey to basketball. The Rangers were hot in 94, the Knicks were even hotter and didnt even win it all. And basketball is never a secondary sport when the Knicks are a great team. Even when the Knicks are awful they still have people going to the games, watching on TV and talking about them. When the chips are down for the Jets and Giants the Meadowlands is a ghost town. When the Yankees and Mets are bad they are completely irrelevant. You wont see another NY franchise where the fans complain so much about ownership and coaching than about the Knicks. If the Nets teams with Kidd, Martin, Jefferson, and Kittles all wore Knick uniforms instead of Nets ones the Knicks would have been the hottest thing in New York in at least the last decade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JV51;2331131]This just sums it up for me. The Knicks are the 4th worst team in the NBA, saying if any other nY team, Jets, giants, rangers, islanders, mets were in the same position being the 4th worst team in their sport their attendance would not even be close to what it is. Maybe other then the yankees and giants and mets to some extent the attendance figures wouldnt be close to what it is now.

The Knicks are #1 in total home attandance up to this point in the NBA and we are the 4th WORST team in the entire NBA. :eek: . Now just imagine if the Knicks were a .500 team, you could not get a seat at the garden.[/QUOTE]

How many of those people at those games do you think are actually fans?

Knicks games have become corporate events. Places for people to entertain clients.

I was a real fan. Then this happened, then the game changed (for the much, much worse) and the games became fixed. The league became the equivalent of professional wrestling.

Basketball town? What a joke.

Baseball will always own New York

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    baseball...cause new yorkers are a bunch of front-runners...when the yankees begin to dive then this will become a 'whatever team is hot' town.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think NY is just a sports town in general.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    when the knicks were winning, there was no bigger ticket in town... New York City is a Basketball city, not all of New York though... And we are bandwagon people too, whoever is winning we back up fully, but when they are down we want nothing to do with them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jr17892;2331158]I'm not sure if it could support a third team in the boroughs, but I think a third team in the tri-state area would be supported. [B]I'm sure there are a lot of NJ and CT fans who would rather watch a home team nearby than have to come into the Bronx or Queens to get their baseball fix.[/B][/QUOTE]

Not me. I would never embrace a team other than the Yanks. They are local enough. I think the majority of Yankee fans in Jersey feel the same way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bravesQB718;2330803]Totally disagree with this..

If the Knicks put together, lets say, 8 wins out of 10, I think even that would be enough to spark a buzz around the franchise again. In terms of popularity, the Knicks are the Knicks. They are the only basketball team around, the play in MSG (in the HEART of the greatest city in the world), they own New York - EVERYONE is a Knick fan in NY (if u even slightly follow bball).

In terms of popularity right now, it's gotta be..

Yanks
    Mets
    Giants
    Knicks
    Rangers
    Jets
    Islanders
    Dragons?

The Knicks still fill the garden and we are beyond being the joke of the league. The Jets were in the playoffs last year and a kick away from the AFC Championship game 3 years back..The Jets aren't a complete joke like the Knicks. Yet, the fans still come out to Knicks games, whereas there were more fans from other teams than NYJ fans in the final weeks of the season for the Jets. If the Giants didn't make this crazy run to the super bowl, the Knicks are easily the #3 team in NY.[/QUOTE]

Dragons ahead of the Devils and Nets? No way. I'm not even sure they are as popular as the Red Bulls.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2331838]How many of those people at those games do you think are actually fans?

Knicks games have become corporate events. Places for people to entertain clients.

I was a real fan. Then this happened, then the game changed (for the much, much worse) and the games became fixed. The league became the equivalent of professional wrestling.

Basketball town? What a joke.

Baseball will always own New York[/QUOTE]

No way, you think there are 19000 people from corprate america filling those seats every night? Your disrespecting the die hard, blue collar, hardworking fan just as much as Dolan does by not giving a damn how expensive those ****s are. Joke? Everything I am saying was reiterrated by the best man on sportstalk radio in NY, Brandon Tierney who I might add is a Yankee fan who said if the Knicks were winning, they'd be the biggest story in town! I dont know, maybe you dont respect the game of basketball as much as I do because you dont or cant play but I put certain tag on basketball that doesnt match any other sport I have appreciation for even though I have never seen any "glory days" except in 2000.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JV51;2332428]No way, you think there are 19000 people from corprate america filling those seats every night? Your disrespecting the die hard, blue collar, hardworking fan just as much as Dolan does by not giving a damn how expensive those ****s are. Joke? Everything I am saying was reiterrated by the best man on sportstalk radio in NY, Brandon Tierney who I might add is a Yankee fan who said if the Knicks were winning, they'd be the biggest story in town! I dont know, maybe you dont respect the game of basketball as much as I do because you dont or cant play but I put certain tag on basketball that doesnt match any other sport I have appreciation for even though I have never seen any "glory days" except in 2000.[/QUOTE]

Thats good point. Knicks crowds are much more passionate and into the game then a corporate or casual crowd. I don't picture the corporate types to go to the game and chant "Fire Isiah". I'm also a fan of Tierney and respect his opinion.