View Poll Results: New York is a ....

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Football Town

7 6.48%
  • Baseball Town

101 93.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is New York a Baseball or Football Town?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;2332433]Thats good point. Knicks crowds are much more passionate and into the game then a corporate or casual crowd. I don't picture the corporate types to go to the game and chant "Fire Isiah". I'm also a fan of Tierney and respect his opinion.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the Garden get just as rowdy and noisy for WWE events. What does that tell you?

As for the previous post, have nothing against basketball. I love it, in fact. I watch college games as often as I can. The problem I have is the false adverising that is the NBA claiming that it is the sport of basketball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without a doubt BASEBALL! Though I have to say, being from RI, and frequenting the Boston Area, given all the success of the Celts, Pats* and [B]2007 World Champion Boston Redsox [/B]I would say that Boston is just as much a BASEBALL town! The rivalry between 2 sports teams will NEVER be as heated or as competitive as the Boston -vs- New York BASEBALL rivalry. I myself am MORE of a football fan, than baseball fan. But I love BOTH sports.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2332718]I've seen the Garden get just as rowdy and noisy for WWE events. What does that tell you?

As for the previous post, have nothing against basketball. I love it, in fact. I watch college games as often as I can. The problem I have is the false adverising that is the NBA claiming that it is the sport of basketball.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see what a WWE crowd has to do with a Knicks crowd. They aren't exactly the corporate types either. I'm not saying NY is a basketball town, I believe it is without a doubt a baseball town. I'm just saying that there are still many die-hard, passionate Knicks fans like myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baseball town as already mentioned.

On the Knicks, people are using the wrong parameters to judge popularity. As Guido mentioned, Knick games are corporate events. They are not fan driven attendance. Sellouts are irrelevant.

Plus, the Garden holds only about 20,000 spectators compared to over 50,000 with Yankee and Shea Stadiums and 80,000 at the Meadowlands.

Last year, about [B]8 MILLION[/B] people went to a baseball game last year in NYC. That number is larger than many state populations.

The Knicks, at the height of their popularity in the 1970s and mid 1990s, still paled attendance wise and television ratings wise to Met and Yankee games in NYC. That said, I would still put the Knicks 3rd overall behind the Yankee & Mets in popularity.