Thread: Red Bryant - DT - Texas A&M

All Pro

Red Bryant - DT - Texas A&M

Anyone have any updates on how this kid has been performing during Senior Bowl practices? I believe he is about 6′5 329 lbs, could be a good fit for NT in our 3-4 Def.

Where is he projecting? Is our 2nd rounder too early? Can he be had in the 3rd?

Veteran
    I've only seen him about twice, but nothing really stood out from him. He really doesn't get his pads very low or play very strong. I don't like him as a 3-4 NT, especially in the second. I'd probably take a flier on him in the 5th or 6th though.

I read somewhere that Bryant should be getting looks by 3-4 teams from what he is showing at the senior bowl practices. Not much of a pass rusher but is a big body that takes up alot of space and cannot be moved by one lineman. Can push guys back well. Maybe a 3rd rounder where he would provide good value. Better value then say taking Ellis at 6 IMO.

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;2331603]I read somewhere that Bryant should be getting looks by 3-4 teams from what he is showing at the senior bowl practices. Not much of a pass rusher but is a big body that takes up alot of space and cannot be moved by one lineman. Can push guys back well. Maybe a 3rd rounder where he would provide good value. Better value then say taking Ellis at 6 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Just the thought of a player like this in green and white makes you get juiced up for the draft and free agency. we are so desperate for someone to actually clog the middle of that d line

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;2331612]Just the thought of a player like this in green and white makes you get juiced up for the draft and free agency. we are so desperate for someone to actually clog the middle of that d line[/QUOTE]

Amen. We need some size up front! Time to start winning the war in the trenches! I would love a guy like Balmer as well for DE. He added some serious weight as of late. Best 3-4 DE prospect in this draft. Good grab in the first if we can trade down.

All Pro
    Red Bryant
    Height: 6-5 | Weight: 324 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Has outstanding size and a huge frame with long arms...Very strong...Stout at the point of attack...[B]He can occupy multiple blockers[/B]...Gets a good push up the middle and is able to collapse the pocket...A surprisingly good athlete...Does an excellent job of getting his hands up...[B]Team leader and captain[/B]..Has a bunch of experience.

Weaknesses:
    Is not much of a pass rusher...Lacks elite speed and quickness...Wears down too easily...Inconsistent and [B]disappears from the action too often[/B]....Has some trouble shedding blockers...Needs to use his hands better...Range is limited..Repertoire of moves is almost nonexistent..Motor runs hot and cold..May have durability issues.

Notes:
    First name is Joseph...Was a four-year starter...Tore the ACL in his right knee late in the 2006 season...[B]Physical marvel with a rare blend of size and athleticism...He has the physical tools but may lack the disposition needed to be great..A possible 3-4 nose tackle...He'll need to land in the right situation to maximize his potential.[/B]
    Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2003 DNP - - -
    2004 12 34 2.0 1.0
    2005 11 28 4.0 2.0
    2006 9 19 2.0 1.0
    2007 13 46 6.0 1.0
    Totals 45 127 14.0 5.0
    (From NFLDC)

Glad you started a thread on this kid CM, I was just looking at this last night. He seems like the only legitimate 3-4 NT prospect this year. Though there seem to be some real question marks about him. I'd really like to hear what people think about him as a possible 2nd or 3rd round pick for us.

You don't want to press for need but we REALLY need a guy that fits the bill for that position. It'd be a huge plus if he fit the bill for us. It's tempting to want to reach for him, maybe a trade down to the mid 2nd, as the NT position is the fulcrum for the entire defense in our scheme.
    Last edited by David Harris; 01-23-2008 at 07:04 PM.

I wonder if the fight clears up some of the "does he have the attitude" questions

Nice value at the top of the third. Jets need size. I don't think it's out of the question to play Bryant at DE, refer to Ngata with the Ravens, Look at Olansky with the Chargers. Succesful 3-4's have big guys upfront. Granted Red is not much of a pass rusher, penetrate 3 steps and get your hands up at 6'5.
    [B]TEAM CAPTAIN[/B]

I think he'd be better off slimming down a bit and playing DE then playing the Nose. I'm not convinced he can hold an NFL double team as he plays too high for my liking. 3rd Round talent who will probably get selected Mid 2nd due to being a DT.