Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit To Release or Trade Shaun Rodgers (merged, yes actually merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Detroit To Release or Trade Shaun Rodgers (merged, yes actually merged)

sorry I accidently deleted it while merging 27 threads on the same topic...

please carry on here.

Banned
    Is this official ®™? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Bill Parcells;2331400]Is this official ®™? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes official accidental deletion of a thread speculating that Rodgers could be traded somewhere and that he is fat.
    :D

ESPN First take

Shaun Rodgers is on the trading block it appears the Lions want a DT with a better motor scouring the FA and draft NT's can we possibly do better????

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2331368]Vilma for Rogers, straight up[/QUOTE]

I'd do it in a heartbeat.. with or without Det adding a pick to the deal.

We should get this done.. the pieces are in place and there's interest on both sides..

FWIW though, I heard Det will try to deal both Rogers and Roy Williams in the same deal.. Which makes it even more intriguing for us. But the package will take substantially more to acquire both. I'm all for it at this point..

If we acquired both, IMO, Coles will be traded subsequently without a doubt, and Chad possibly as well, if the deal makes sense.. if we add any big time receiver, my feeling is Coles will be moving on. I love him, but it doesn't make sense to pay him for what he has done in the past at this point.. IMO, it's better to pay players for what they will do.. Not what they did.

The business side tells me if we sign or trade for a big time receiver it will be to replace and upgrade LC. Not to play with him.. If we trade LC, Stuck, and Clowney have nice potential to man the slot, and both bring some similar attributes btwn size, speed, and shiftiness to help replace LC. The big question is did they absorb his toughness and can they display it??

Would be amazing if we make the deal with Det, netting Shaun and Roy, for Vilma and and a 2.. That's what I'm pushing for.. If we got a big guy like RW complementing Cotch - Stuck and Clowney would be just fine. Perfect to develop in those roles.

How do you guys like Bryant Johnson btw?? He started half the season in Ari, and put up decent production. Watching his film it looks like he's ready to emerge as a starter. That said, if we pursued this particular route do we still trade Coles?? depends on the offers as it always does i suppose..

But all are interesting questions. If we sign a Bryant Johnson or Dante Stallworth, instead of trading for a bonafide #1 like Roy Williams, what do we do with Coles then. If we trade him and don't land Roy, would we need to add 2 of these 3 receivers, instead of 1 Roy Williams.. Stallworth, Bryant, or Wilford.. What would Jets fans prefer??

My feeling is any of these scenarios play out, and Coles is gone.. esp a & b
    1a) Roy Williams (trade)
    1b) Bryant Johnson (fa)
    Dante Stallworth (fa)
    Ernest Wilford(fa)

So again, what do Jets fans think regarding these scenarios??
    Last edited by JOHNNY JOHNSON; 01-23-2008 at 02:12 PM.

All Pro
    jw, you forgot one. :D

All Pro
    to answer your question at the bottom, if we don't go for a trade for Larry Fitzgerald (which is what i would sacrifice my first born for) then Roy Williams all the way. enough pissing around with FAs like Bryant and Wilford. we gotta get some playmakers out there

Fitzgerald or Williams will be more than adequate we simply need speed, size, and strength at WR to help KC. I think the more pressing need is Rodgers at NT lets face it how many more years of teams ramming the ball down or throats do we have to take.

[QUOTE=Paradis;2331567]to answer your question at the bottom, if we don't go for a trade for Larry Fitzgerald (which is what i would sacrifice my first born for) then Roy Williams all the way. enough pissing around with FAs like Bryant and Wilford. we gotta get some playmakers out there[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree on Fitz, but I'd be surprised if that actually comes to fruition..

They'd resign Bryant Johnson if that were the case, i would think.

Gotta agree though
    1a)Fitzgerald
    1b)Roy Williams

We need to get one of these young guys.. a young playmaker.. I agree, but I was also saying we could extend LC, and if that's the case, sign a Stallworth, or Wilford.. instead of trading for a bonafide 1, and then trading Coles in turn.

If Coles is traded, imo Chad goes in the same deal, most likely to KC.
    Otherwise Minnesota, or Tampa Bay, if i had to guesstimate at this point..

And the draft is an option obviously, but you have to investigate all avenues.

Esp Fitz situation, and the Roy Williams/Shaun Rogers package..

Jets Insider VIP
    Is Detroit looking for a more athletic DT? Why not DRob for Rodgers?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2331532]
    My feeling is any of these scenarios play out, and Coles is gone.. esp a & b
    1a) Roy Williams (trade)
    1b) Bryant Johnson (fa)
    Dante Stallworth (fa)
    Ernest Wilford(fa)

So again, what do Jets fans think regarding these scenarios??[/QUOTE]

Roy :yes:
    Stallworth :eek: He's always hurt and a homerun hitter. Out of 16 games hurt for 4. That leaves 12. OUt of 12 will dissaper for 6 games. So he's good for 6 games. NO thanks.
    Johnson is intriguing.
    Wilford....JAG. I thin you can get anyone to play like he does.

I don't mind trading Coles, Vilma and our 1st for Roy, Rogers and their first and a 4th

All League
    I just saw a crawl on the ESPN screen on TV that the Lions are either releasing or trading him. So, the fact that this is now "on the TV screen", do you think that something will be done this week? I'm dying to hear about changes.

All League
    how old is he and how big is he?

Veteran
    27 and 350....after he takes a dump

All League
    ok, so after some digging on espn.com...
    1) 28 yrs old: good
    2) coming off shoulder and knee surgery last year: maybe not so good, but then again, Chad was coming off two shoulder surgeries and he did ok, so the jury is out on this I think
    3) suspended 4 games for taking some illegal stuff. If he does it again say goodbye to 8 games: not good
    4) 340-360 lbs: good
    5) former pro-bowl (twice): good

Well, do the "GOODs" have it? I think there is some risk here. If we do this it better be a good deal for us.

All Pro
    Robertson - Rogers - Ellis

that would be a nice front line

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2331678]Is Detroit looking for a more athletic DT? Why not DRob for Rodgers?[/QUOTE]

It's interesting.. there are pieces on both sides here that can be in play. Vilma/Drob - Rogers/RWilliams.. not to mention draft picks.

Remember your dealing with Matt Millen. Shaun Rodgers/Roy Williams for Chad and a 2nd day pick

[QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2331710]ok, so after some digging on espn.com...
    1) 28 yrs old: good
    2) coming off shoulder and knee surgery last year: maybe not so good, but then again, Chad was coming off two shoulder surgeries and he did ok, so the jury is out on this I think
    3) suspended 4 games for taking some illegal stuff. If he does it again say goodbye to 8 games: not good
    4) 340-360 lbs: good
    5) former pro-bowl (twice): good

Well, do the "GOODs" have it? I think there is some risk here. If we do this it better be a good deal for us.[/QUOTE]

Old man: Take this doll, but beware; it carries a terrible curse.
    Homer: Ooo, that's bad.
    Old man: But it comes with a free serving of frozen yogurt!
    Homer: That's good!
    Old man: The frozen yogurt is also cursed.
    Homer: That's bad.
    Old man: But it comes with your choice of toppings!
    Homer: That's good!
    Old man: The toppings contain potassium benzoate...
    Homer: (confused look)
    Old man: That's bad.
    Homer: Can I go now?

sorry cant resist simpsons quotes. if we can get rogers without giving up a draft pick that would be good. wouldn't mind trading vilma for him