Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit To Release or Trade Shaun Rodgers (merged, yes actually merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By having him in the middle helps our 3-4 so much it isnt funny. I know hes big and takes time off but seriously we can't let him slip away if he is cheap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2331710]ok, so after some digging on espn.com...
    1) 28 yrs old: good
    2) coming off shoulder and knee surgery last year: maybe not so good, but then again, Chad was coming off two shoulder surgeries and he did ok, so the jury is out on this I think
    3) suspended 4 games for taking some illegal stuff. If he does it again say goodbye to 8 games: not good
    4) 340-360 lbs: good
    5) former pro-bowl (twice): good

Well, do the "GOODs" have it? I think there is some risk here. If we do this it better be a good deal for us.[/QUOTE]

Next Substance Abuse would be 1 year, not 8 games. And he's got a terrible work ethic. Not that that's terribly suprising for a 340 pounder though, but I wonder if he would be able just to make it through one of Mangini's camps.

But we'll see just how willing we are to overlook that fact for someone with the potential to play the Nose.

And no, I wouldn't offer Vilma straight up for Rogers. Rogers figures to be cut if the Lions cannot reach a deal and has a bad contract (Would be due almost 20 million over the next 3 years for someone who spends 50% of the time on the bench wheezing for Air). Vilma is worth much more then that in a trade. Shawn Rogers will get a Day 2 pick in return most likely because the Lions have no leg to stand on here asking for more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, will he embrace the unglamorous role of being a 3-4 NT?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vona41;2331717]Robertson - Rogers - Ellis

that would be a nice front line[/QUOTE]
    it would, i agree, but this is what i could see:

Ellis - Rogers - Ellis

Cap number for drob makes him prohibitive, and unlikely to return. Expendable, in one word.

Would be nice if he can be included in a deal w/Det. As opposed to being cut.. And Detroit feels the same way about Rogers. Seems like a nice match.

esp when you factor in their interest in Vilma, and ours in Roy Williams.

Not to mention draft positions.. but this is all speculation as of yet..

but very possible. And we should pursue it aggressively as our first priority, if it means acquiring both Rogers and Roy Williams. Esp with the players mentioned involved and how they would fit respectively on their new teams.

I think it's a great deal for us especially when you consider the value comparatively to what the price tag of a Chad Johnson will be, and how much more it would cost us in terms of picks, IMO..

Potentially 2 birds in one stone in this trade.. one of them being a stud in RW, and Rogers we all know about. I'll take that chance.. We need what he can bring. We have good coaching. Maybe Cox can light a fire under his ass. No pun intended..

Really a no brainer on our side to investigate this thoroughly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2331811]it would, i agree, but this is what i could see:

Ellis - Rogers - Ellis

Cap number for drob makes him prohibitive, and unlikely to return. Expendable, in one word.

Would be nice if he can be included in a deal w/Det. As opposed to being cut.. And Detroit feels the same way about Rogers. Seems like a nice match.

esp when you factor in their interest in Vilma, and ours in Roy Williams.

Not to mention draft positions.. but this is all speculation as of yet..

but very possible. And we should pursue it aggressively as our first priority, if it means acquiring both Rogers and Roy Williams. Esp with the players mentioned involved and how they would fit respectively on their new teams.

I think it's a great deal for us especially when you consider the value comparatively to what the price tag of a Chad Johnson will be, and how much more it would cost us in terms of picks, IMO..

Potentially 2 birds in one stone in this trade.. one of them being a stud in RW, and Rogers we all know about. I'll take that chance.. We need what he can bring. We have good coaching. Maybe Cox can light a fire under his ass. No pun intended..

Really a no brainer on our side to investigate this thoroughly.[/QUOTE]

I don't care for Sedrick Ellis as a DE because he's a midget there. I think I'd prefer more of a Kentwan Balmer there, granted he won't be worth a Top 10 pick (Unless you listen to Kiper), or a Pat Sims in the Second Round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;2331831]I don't care for Sedrick Ellis as a DE because he's a midget there. I think I'd prefer more of a Kentwan Balmer there, granted he won't be worth a Top 10 pick (Unless you listen to Kiper), or a Pat Sims in the Second Round.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha..
    He is small height wise, but he's as strong as an ox, and as a lineman he can dominate.. plays big and can play along the line, really anywhere, with his motor.. IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy to get rid of D-Rob. Admit your mistakes, take your lumps, and move on. I've seen more motivated piles of dog s***. This guy is a frigging heffalump.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly doubt that Mangini and Tannenbaum would be interested in a fat, lazy player who has a couple strikes on the league's drug policy. I don't think we'd sign him even he were released outright.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get why there is so much love for ROgers. The reason Detroit is trading him is that he is a bum and doesn't play hard. He has no motivation and doesn't put effort into the game. Granted if someone ever did light a fire under him he would be a force to be reckoned with. But until than I dont see why we should trade for a guy like this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vilma515;2331869]I don't get why there is so much love for ROgers. The reason Detroit is trading him is that he is a bum and doesn't play hard. He has no motivation and doesn't put effort into the game. Granted if someone ever did light a fire under him he would be a force to be reckoned with. But until than I dont see why we should trade for a guy like this.[/QUOTE]

The Pipe-dream that we can be that team to light a fire under him is really the only reason I can come up with. Seems lazy and unmotivated. Maybe if he went to a winning atmosphere he would pick it up, but I'm not sure we qualify as that. While we got some great team 'character', we havent exactly had the success yet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2331863]I'd be happy to get rid of D-Rob. Admit your mistakes, take your lumps, and move on. I've seen more motivated piles of dog s***. This guy is a frigging heffalump.[/QUOTE]

See, I don't get that. I've always seen him give max effort and when's he's asked to do what he's good at, penetrate, he does. Now if you said you were sick of seeing him get turtled on inside running plays, I'm with you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;2331749]Old man: Take this doll, but beware; it carries a terrible curse.
    Homer: Ooo, that's bad.
    Old man: But it comes with a free serving of frozen yogurt!
    Homer: That's good!
    Old man: The frozen yogurt is also cursed.
    Homer: That's bad.
    Old man: But it comes with your choice of toppings!
    Homer: That's good!
    Old man: The toppings contain potassium benzoate...
    Homer: (confused look)
    Old man: That's bad.
    Homer: Can I go now?

sorry cant resist simpsons quotes. if we can get rogers without giving up a draft pick that would be good. wouldn't mind trading vilma for him[/QUOTE]

That was a good episode.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;2331744]It's interesting.. there are pieces on both sides here that can be in play. Vilma/Drob - Rogers/RWilliams.. not to mention draft picks.[/QUOTE]

If this could happen. I would crapola my pantsola.

Coles, Cotch, Williams, Baker

Rogers, Ellis, Pouha?

SOmething to that effect would be nice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2331866]I highly doubt that Mangini and Tannenbaum would be interested in a fat, lazy player who has a couple strikes on the league's drug policy. I don't think we'd sign him even he were released outright.[/QUOTE]

Especially when you look at the reasons for Marinelli getting rid of him:

[QUOTE]Nicholas J. Cotsonika's blog

Lions to part with Rogers
    January 23, 2008

Shaun Rogers is a goner.

The Lions have decided to part with the star defensive tackle this off-season via trade or release, the Free Press has learned.

Advertisement

The Lions won’t confirm the information. They generally do not comment on such reports, and they wouldn’t want to weaken their negotiating position in trade talks.

But Lions coach Rod Marinelli has decided not to bring back Rogers, according to a person familiar with the Lions’ thinking. The story was first reported today by the St. Petersburg Times' Rick Stroud on ESPN2’s “First Take.”

Rogers’ trade value is unclear. He already has served a four-game suspension for taking a banned dietary supplement. If he tests positive again, and he will face an eight-game suspension. He also has three years left on his contract.

Rogers is immensely talented and can dominate a game. He has been to two Pro Bowls. But he doesn’t always get the most out of talent, and Marinelli, a former defensive line coach, hasn’t been able to reach him the way he reached Warren Sapp in Tampa Bay.

[B]The first eight games this season, Rogers was excellent. [/B]The highlight of the season was his 66-yard interception return for a touchdown Nov. 4 in the 44-7 rout of Denver that made the Lions 6-2.

Rogers also had 2 ˝ sacks in that game – and celebrated one with a somersault – not to mention four quarterback hurries, three tackles and a pass defense. He was named NFC defensive player of the week.

[B]But in the six-game losing streak that eliminated the Lions from the playoffs, Rogers disappeared.[/B]
    Marinelli gave Rogers a long leash last off-season because he was coming off knee and shoulder surgeries. The hope was that Rogers would be in the best physical shape possible so he could perform on Sundays. But Rogers, listed at 340 pounds, weighed at least 360 and didn’t sustain his level of play.

Rogers made an impact Dec. 23 against Kansas City, but that was after the Lions were already out of the race.

After a news conference Jan. 17, Marinelli said he expected every player under contract to report for the Lions’ off-season conditioning program, including Rogers. He acknowledged Rogers’ weight would be an issue.

[B]“He was a good player for us for nine games,” Marinelli said then. “But it’s the endurance all the way through the season, that’s what I’m looking for.”[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Can Mangini get this guy in shape and motivate him to play a full season? I have my doubts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN: Lions to Cut or Release DT Shaun Rogers

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210519[/url]
    [QUOTE]
    The Detroit Lions have decided to part ways with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, according to reports in Detroit.

The Lions have decided to trade or release Rogers, according to reports. Coach Rod Marinelli and team spokesman Bill Keenist have both said they expect all players under contract to return.

Rogers, who has served one four-game suspension for taking a banned dietary supplement and could face an eight-game suspension if he tests positive again, has three years left on his contract.

In addition, Rogers, who was coming off knee and shoulder surgeries last offseason, was listed at 340 pounds but weighed at least 360.

Rogers, who has been to two Pro Bowls, had a good start to the season and was named NFC defensive player of the week after returning a 66-yard interception for a touchdown and recording 2˝ sacks in the Lions' 44-7 victory over the Denver Broncos in Week 9. But in the six-game losing streak that followed, he disappeared.

On Jan. 17, Marinelli said that he expects every player under contract to report for the Lions' offseason conditioning program, including Rogers, but he realized that Rogers' weight would be an issue.

"He was a good player for us for nine games," Marinelli said at the time. "But it's the endurance all the way through the season, that's what I'm looking for."[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Recent surgeries, banned substance user, overweight.....

Manny Collins better pack his bags again...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2332906]Recent surgeries, banned substance user, overweight.....

Manny Collins better pack his bags again...[/QUOTE]

So your all for signing Rogers then...He'll fit right in.
    I really think that we need some bad guys/good players around here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2332935]So your all for signing Rogers then...He'll fit right in.
    I really think that we need some bad guys/good players around here.[/QUOTE]

Well BB had Fat Teddy Washington with the Pats for a few years I wonder if Mangini remembers that??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we sign this guy with intention of him being the starter, its going to be another loooong season. As a rotational guy, fine.

I want a full time starter though

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign this Beast!!!!!