Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the 6th Pick in the 08' Draft: Jets Select NT...

With the 6th Pick in the 08' Draft: Jets Select NT...

Sedrick Ellis

They have to. It would be "killing two birds with one stone." With this move, they could move D'rob to an end where he could be relentless, i really think so...he has the talent to. News out of the senior bowl practices are they he is by far and away the best player on either team. Scouts say that his size will not matter in a 3-4 because he is just so good.

[QUOTE]Two of the most impressive players on the field today both happened to be USC Trojans. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis was practically unblockable, blowing by Chad Rinehart on one play and being very disruptive in the backfield all afternoon. He also received a lot of praise from the coaching staff.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Yesterday USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis showed off his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield and today he showed he could be just as effective against the run. Ellis has looked every bit the part of a Top 10 pick.
    [/QUOTE]

In round 2 the Jets then would have to go with a pass rushing OLB...an easy choice being Shawn Crable.

Im sure a lot of you are going to be riding me for not picking an OL in the first 2 rounds but with these 2 picks our defense is in excellent shape

id like to see him add 10-15 pounds first...he seems to much like D-Rob

Every day our pick seems to change.

I assume it will continue to change right up until the draft

This is turning into such an interesting draft...................

All League
    While were talking about NT's here; listen to this;

Red Bryant has to be catching the eyes of coaches and scouts. He is difficult to miss. Bryant is a giant person (6-5, 329) who has long arms and the bulk to be a true, two-gap lineman. He can really jolt offensive linemen with his heavy powerful hands and once he has a hold of his blocker, he simply drives him backwards with his power. He is very difficult to move and occupies space in the middle quite well. Bryant is also difficult to throw over and should bat down a lot of passes in the NFL. While he isn't overly dynamic and doesn't have an especially wide array of pass rush moves, players with Bryant's skill set are difficult to find. He should have many suitors from teams that need big, space-eating defensive tackles or clubs that employ a 3-4 scheme.

everything that i have read and heard regarding Sedrick Ellis at the Senior Bowl has been unanimous. everyone who has watched him, loves him. i have to believe that he is the best player on either team and on either side of the ball.

I would love if the jets nabed him at 6, but i'm still kind of suspect on his size. I guess we'll just have to trust the experts on this one regarding his body type and wheather he can add to his frame.

if we do go NT with 6, there would still be some excellent pass rush prospects available in the early second. Crable, Avril, Groves, Davis, Robertson.

I really hope that a team becomes enamored with a hot name at our spot, maybe one of the QBs, Ellis, a Long, whoever, and allows us to move back. I really think we have 3 big draft needs, NT, OLB and RT, and all 3 can be filled in the first 50 picks.

-GW

I think there has been some great comments that 3-4 NTs are not taken this high. But who knows when it comes to the Jets. I would not be surprised if they took Ellis this high. But the fact that there are concerns with his size for the 3-4 should probably kill off the idea of taking him all together. It would make more sense to grab someone like Bryant or Rubin in the 3rd round if possible as they could possibly have more success in a 3-4. I would hate our first rounder going on a "maybe this guy could work in our scheme" type player.

Tough call where we go at 6 but I hope some team gets horny over a QB and trades up with us. Someone like Baltimore. I would love if we could grab another 2nd rounder that way and end up with a few guys like Balmer, Cherilus, Avril and Bryant/Rubin in the first 3 rounds. However that would not give us the game breaker on office that we could use. But I would be fine with this outcome.

Veteran
    Red Bryant could easily be nabbed in the 2nd and is one of the moves I would like to see the club make. He has an injury history which is unfortunate but i think he could be our NT. Frank Okam late in the first round could also be a great pick if we trade down.

draft

[QUOTE=jetsfan110;2331487]Sedrick Ellis

They have to. It would be "killing two birds with one stone." With this move, they could move D'rob to an end where he could be relentless, i really think so...he has the talent to. News out of the senior bowl practices are they he is by far and away the best player on either team. Scouts say that his size will not matter in a 3-4 because he is just so good.

In round 2 the Jets then would have to go with a pass rushing OLB...an easy choice being Shawn Crable.

Im sure a lot of you are going to be riding me for not picking an OL in the first 2 rounds but with these 2 picks our defense is in excellent shape[/QUOTE]

Great point...i watched the senior bowl today,and the reason ellis was doing so well wasnt that the OL wasnt good, it was because ellis was unstoppable. Him along with laws from notre dame are two guys that have been playing above their ability in the practices.

Finally someone mentions shawn crable.....i think he is an excellent fit for our D and just needs to add some pounds. With him and harris, i cant imagine how good we could be in the coming years

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BrickHouse;2331559]While were talking about NT's here; listen to this;

Red Bryant has to be catching the eyes of coaches and scouts. He is difficult to miss. Bryant is a giant person (6-5, 329) who has long arms and the bulk to be a true, two-gap lineman. He can really jolt offensive linemen with his heavy powerful hands and once he has a hold of his blocker, he simply drives him backwards with his power. He is very difficult to move and occupies space in the middle quite well. Bryant is also difficult to throw over and should bat down a lot of passes in the NFL. While he isn't overly dynamic and doesn't have an especially wide array of pass rush moves, players with Bryant's skill set are difficult to find. He should have many suitors from teams that need big, space-eating defensive tackles or clubs that employ a 3-4 scheme.[/QUOTE]

Isn't he a little tall for an NT?

[QUOTE=BrickHouse;2331559]While were talking about NT's here; listen to this;

Red Bryant has to be catching the eyes of coaches and scouts. He is difficult to miss. Bryant is a giant person (6-5, 329) who has long arms and the bulk to be a true, two-gap lineman. He can really jolt offensive linemen with his heavy powerful hands and once he has a hold of his blocker, he simply drives him backwards with his power. He is very difficult to move and occupies space in the middle quite well. Bryant is also difficult to throw over and should bat down a lot of passes in the NFL. While he isn't overly dynamic and doesn't have an especially wide array of pass rush moves, players with Bryant's skill set are difficult to find. He should have many suitors from teams that need big, space-eating defensive tackles or clubs that employ a 3-4 scheme.[/QUOTE]

Where is he projected? Can he fall to round 2?

i think it boils down to what we do in FA

we have 5 HUGE needs

On defense its a pass rushing OLB,DE,and NT
    On offense its LG and RT

theres going to be a few good RT's available in the second round so i dont think the jets will pursue that in FA, also theres a couple of good OLB's

im hoping for the jets to make 2 big name signings at LG and DE (faneca,haynesworth)

Then in the draft try 2 trade down pick up an extra 2nd

1) trade down a few spots and take ellis if he is the real deal at NT
    2a) best RT available(carl nicks,cherilus)
    2b) shawn crable/groves/best available OLB

now we have a solid Oline, a great Dline, and a passrush

[QUOTE=TheGreatMangini;2331568]everything that i have read and heard regarding Sedrick Ellis at the Senior Bowl has been unanimous. everyone who has watched him, loves him. i have to believe that he is the best player on either team and on either side of the ball. .[/QUOTE]

guys please - he's an undersized (6 feet 300) nose tackle. guys like that are lucky to go in round 1, forget about top 6. i just don't see how everyone wants to upgrade Drob, who doesn't fit the scheme, with a smaller player.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2331841]guys please - he's an undersized (6 feet 300) nose tackle. [B]guys like that are lucky to go in round 1[/B], forget about top 6. i just don't see how everyone wants to upgrade Drob, who doesn't fit the scheme, with a smaller player.[/QUOTE]

Can I hold you to that?

I still wish the Jets were a 4-3 team, put DRob and this guy together and you'd have a dynamic middle of the defense.

All Pro
    Square peg meet round hole.

This 3-4 defense might force us to take the tenth best player with the sixth pick. If Long or D-Mac don't fall and we can't trade down I really don't like any of our options.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;2331883]I still wish the Jets were a 4-3 team, put DRob and this guy together and you'd have a dynamic middle of the defense.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=David Harris;2331893]Square peg meet round hole.

This 3-4 defense might force us to take the tenth best player with the sixth pick. If Long or D-Mac don't fall and we can't trade down I really don't like any of our options.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the problem. For all its flexibility and creativity, it is difficult to find Elite personnel for the 3-4 and you pass on a lot of talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2331841]guys please - he's an undersized (6 feet 300) nose tackle. guys like that are lucky to go in round 1, forget about top 6. i just don't see how everyone wants to upgrade Drob, who doesn't fit the scheme, with a smaller player.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It boggles the mind. Plus, re-drafting positions for players still in their rookie contract does not improve the team.

Plus, the original poster mentioned moving DRob to DE. A 3-4 defense can't be successful with 2 lineman about 6 feet tall. 3-4 DEs need to be at least 6'4".

That said, as KR mentioned in another thread: Drafting Ellis only makes sense if the Jets will be a primary 4-3 defense.
    Last edited by SMC; 01-23-2008 at 06:09 PM.

[QUOTE=SMC;2331938]as KR mentioned in another thread: Drafting Ellis only makes sense if the Jets will be a primary 4-3 defense.[/QUOTE]

Going to the 4-3 would solve a number of problems:

bad rushing defense -> now we have 2 DT to stop the run

mis-matched players in DRob and Vilma -> now they fit

can't find a 350 lb NT -> don't need one anymore

It makes absolute perfect sense to draft Ellis and convert to the 4-3. But of course stubborn Mangini won't do it . . .