Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the 6th Pick in the 08' Draft: Jets Select NT...

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2331853]Can I hold you to that?[/QUOTE]

sure, why not, Ellis seems like a very lucky guy.

by the way it's not like i hate this player, in fact far from it, i just don't see the value in taking him at an elite draft slot.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2331975]Going to the 4-3 would solve a number of problems:

bad rushing defense -> now we have 2 DT to stop the run

mis-matched players in DRob and Vilma -> now they fit

can't find a 350 lb NT -> don't need one anymore

It makes absolute perfect sense to draft Ellis and convert to the 4-3. But of course stubborn Mangini won't do it . . .[/QUOTE]

The more I think about, the more that it seems like a perfect solution.

A 4-3 DLine of Shaun Ellis, DRob, Sedrick Ellis, and Coleman will be a big & strong line. Shaun Ellis will be the lightest at 285. They'll essentially have 3 300lbers on the DLine. All 4 are really strong, and DRob & Sedrick Ellis are both penetrating DTs, so the "speed" rusher DE is not necessarily needed. Plus, Mosley & Pouha offer good DT depth.

That front 4 will create matchup problems and a LB corp of Harris, Vilma, and Thomas will benefit greatly from it. In the 4-3, the Jets Defense will finally not be undersized.

But like you said, Mangini won't do it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SMC;2332152]The more I think about, the more that it seems like a perfect solution.

A 4-3 DLine of Shaun Ellis, DRob, Sedrick Ellis, and Coleman will be a big & strong line. Shaun Ellis will be the lightest at 285. They'll essentially have 3 300lbers on the DLine. All 4 are really strong, and DRob & Sedrick Ellis are both penetrating DTs, so the "speed" rusher DE is not necessarily needed. Plus, Mosley & Pouha offer good DT depth.

That front 4 will create matchup problems and a LB corp of Harris, Vilma, and Thomas will benefit greatly from it. In the 4-3, the Jets Defense will finally not be undersized.

But like you said, Mangini won't do it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but like you said, it's a moot point. He's not giving up the transition to the 3-4.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;2331883]I still wish the Jets were a 4-3 team, put DRob and this guy together and you'd have a dynamic middle of the defense.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I've been feeling/saying.